Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW - don't read my anti-expansion take above as being a slight against the PSAC privates in any way. I actually think they are a great fit institutionally and they don't stretch the geographic borders too bad either. The G-MAC is actually in a great spot right now. I don't think there is any reason to expand; but if there was - there are a whole lot of G-MAC-like institutions that might pick up the phone and listen.

G-MAC-like schools that are already inside or barely outside the G-MAC footprint:
    - All three of the aforementioned PSAC privates,
    - UIndy (if they are committed to D2),
    - Marion, Indiana Wesleyan, Taylor (all from the IN NAIA conference)
    - Campbellsville, Lindsey Wilson, Cumberlands (all from the KY NAIA conference Thomas More is coming from)

There are probably others. Truthfully - there are probably enough G-MAC-like schools out there to create a whole second conference (I'll leave that rabbit trail for another time)

Like I said in my earlier post, I think there is an argument that adding more schools right now may be more of a de-stabilizing force than a stabilizing one. However, I'm sure there will be a defection or two at some point.

Things that might cause a shake-up:
    - TNU, KWC and Northwood are all on islands. Does island living get so tough that those schools make a change, or does the G-MAC add schools that make it easier for them? TMU is a nice step in this direction, but there is still a big gap.
    - I kind of expect more D2 to D1 moves in the future. I think there is a bit of an "expand or die" mentality among smaller schools right now (and probably for good reason). I think there will be more Bellarmines, Queens and LeMoynes. Do any of the G-MAC schools feel the itch?
    - Somewhat related - Do any current NAIA's feel like they need to go D2 because "someday" they might want to go D1? (IWU is probably the one that comes to mind first here)

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
      The G-MAC is actually in a great spot right now.
      You are absolutely right. They are in a much better state that even just a couple of years ago.

As for the "island" schools, I would still love to see a rebirth of the GLIAC with a double down on all the Michigan DIIs (Hillsdale and Northwood included) supplemented with the NAIAs in Michigan (Siena Heights, Concordia-Ann Arbor, Lawrence Tech, and Madonna.) The Chicago area could be a great option to pair with newcomer Roosevelt (Lewis from the GLVC, St. Xavier, etc.)

Essentially, The GMAC should be the Indiana and Ohio Schools, and the GLIAC needs to be the Michigan Schools

KWC ought the be the USI replacement for the GLVC

TNU is the still the definition of a DII island.

Comment

• Especially with the expansion of the GLVC westward with more and more Missouri teams, KWC is an outlier for any conference we potentially could be in, from the G-MAC to GLVC to Gulf South etc. Whatever conference we're in we'd be on a border geographically, so IMO we might as well stay in the G-MAC with the like minded private schools as was the entire concept to begin with. Granted, there may be some reduction in travel with a move back to the GLVC but not so much that it makes sense to leave the G-MAC.

Comment

• Good insight kdubnation.

Also, it's important to remember who KWC left in 2011 and who they joined.

KWC left a GLVC that had close-ish schools Bellarmine, USI and St. Joes. They are all gone now and UIndy may be next.

KWC joined a G-MAC that was to be Cedarville, Ursuline, Central State, Notre Dame College, and Urbana. (Notre Dame left and TNU came shortly after KWC announced)

So realistically, the current G-MAC footprint isn't all that different from what KWC originally signed up for. The GLVC footprint is drastically worse than what they left.

Comment

• If your a GMAC fan you have to feel really good about where the league is at right now. Not only are the GMAC teams doing a good job of competing in the region but they are also doing well at the national level. With Ashland Womens Basketball winning a Title this year, Findlays women's golf winning a National Title last year. Teams like Lake Eries men's soccer getting to the Final 4 this past season. Along with countless other individuals who have competed at the National level.

My only hope is that the GMAC schools continue to raise money to keep upgrading faculties. The gap between the top and the bottom of the league in the faculties categories is still pretty large. Would love to see that come together in the next 5 years.

Comment

• Congrats to Ashland on their Presidents Cup win. It was a tight one at the top. I know some message board posters love to poo-poo all-sports rankings/awards (the PSAC even has a thread titled "The Dixon Trophy Is Still Bogus"), but I've always been a fan. I have total respect for athletic departments that strive for and achieve excellence across-the-board. Congrats Eagles!

Last edited by BlueBlood; 05-19-2023, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Welcome to the G-MAC Thomas More Saints!!!

Comment

• Has anyone heard about the ncaa doing a recent on campus investigation at a gmac school? I’ve heard some crazy rumors about subpar eligibility efforts in compliance. Like bad enough to take away team gmac and ncaa titles over the past few years. We shall see.

Comment

• Originally posted by aldpeter View Post
                    Has anyone heard about the ncaa doing a recent on campus investigation at a gmac school? I’ve heard some crazy rumors about subpar eligibility efforts in compliance. Like bad enough to take away team gmac and ncaa titles over the past few years. We shall see.
                    Haven't heard a thing but how many gmac schools have won ncaa titles in the past few years?

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Haven't heard a thing but how many gmac schools have won ncaa titles in the past few years?
                      I mean your talking Ashland,Tiffin and Findlay I think. Ashland in Womens Basketball, Tiffin in Track and Field (that might be longer back then I think), and Findlay in W Golf I believe. Lake Erie did go to the final 4 in men's soccer last year as well.

Comment

• It's Findlay
                        https://wfin.com/local-news/ncaa-uni...y-infractions/

F
                        indlay has 14 days to identify which athletes/sports are affected.
                        Last edited by UFOILERFAN; 09-14-2023, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Trevecca to the GSC: https://gscsports.org/news/2023/9/14...onference.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                            Ya, I cannot say anyone is probably surprised by this. TNU was always a stretch in the GMAC, and with multiple Michigan schools now, it was just a matter of time.

Does bring up all the usual questions whenever we get conference movement, however.

When will NDC decide the GMAC is a better fit?
                            Will Uindy commit to DII long term and the GMAC?
                            Are Marian, Indiana Wesleyan, Taylor, and Saint Francis-Fort Wayne interested in a jump from NAIA?
                            Does KWC bounce now? Does the Thomas More addition keep them in longer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Ya, I cannot say anyone is probably surprised by this. TNU was always a stretch in the GMAC, and with multiple Michigan schools now, it was just a matter of time.

Does bring up all the usual questions whenever we get conference movement, however.

When will NDC decide the GMAC is a better fit?
                              Will Uindy commit to DII long term and the GMAC?
                              Are Marian, Indiana Wesleyan, Taylor, and Saint Francis-Fort Wayne interested in a jump from NAIA?
                              Does KWC bounce now? Does the Thomas More addition keep them in longer?
                              Agree. Very happy for TNU. For those who were not around, TNU was a pillar of the early G-MAC. With the addition of more competitive programs, they got lost in the shuffle recently. But early-on, they were absolutely essential to the survival of the G-MAC. They were always the extreme outlier geographically, but there was a time where we were all a bit of an outlier - so it seemed less insane at the time. Plus, there was an expansion plan that could have filled in the gaps. The southern expansion plan never materialized. The northern one did.

I had a feeling that the West Georgia D1 news (with a lot of folks thinking West Florida and Valdosta will follow) might lead to an opportunity for TNU. I'm glad it did. Nothing but respect and well wishes for the Trojans.

As for expansion - TNU doesn't change the number of football schools. If folks are happy with 10 football schools (9 conference games), is expansion necessary? This leaves 13 schools for women's sports, 12 for men's.

If expansion is desired, I agree on UIndy - they are perfect if they are committed to D2. However, the G-MAC should not go to the trouble of adding them if it's just a quick layover on the way to D1.

I've always thought the IN NAIAs may be a good "someday" fit. Similarly, (and especially with TNU now removed) the PSAC private schools may also be a "someday" fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

Agree. Very happy for TNU. For those who were not around, TNU was a pillar of the early G-MAC. With the addition of more competitive programs, they got lost in the shuffle recently. But early-on, they were absolutely essential to the survival of the G-MAC. They were always the extreme outlier geographically, but there was a time where we were all a bit of an outlier - so it seemed less insane at the time. Plus, there was an expansion plan that could have filled in the gaps. The southern expansion plan never materialized. The northern one did.

I had a feeling that the West Georgia D1 news (with a lot of folks thinking West Florida and Valdosta will follow) might lead to an opportunity for TNU. I'm glad it did. Nothing but respect and well wishes for the Trojans.

As for expansion - TNU doesn't change the number of football schools. If folks are happy with 10 football schools (9 conference games), is expansion necessary? This leaves 13 schools for women's sports, 12 for men's.

If expansion is desired, I agree on UIndy - they are perfect if they are committed to D2. However, the G-MAC should not go to the trouble of adding them if it's just a quick layover on the way to D1.

I've always thought the IN NAIAs may be a good "someday" fit. Similarly, (and especially with TNU now removed) the PSAC private schools may also be a "someday" fit.
                                I am there with you on the Indiana NAIAs (especially if you can get Marian/SFU-FW or IWU/TU, to pair up for the transition process at the same time), but I really doubt the PSAC schools are going anywhere. End of the day, they can play almost an enitre schedule in most sports and never leave their home state (outside of going to Shepherd, which is barely in WV). They will always be the go to OOC games for GMAC schools, probably never members.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X