Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very bad loss, Scotty was so focused on yelling at the refs from the tip, more than usual. Have to get away from the substation pattern, no matter the situation at 17:30 on the clock Ethan and Parker come in for Ben and Dylon, then first media timeout Ben co es in for Alex. This goes on and on. No flow. In the second half Monday, because of desperation this approach was scraped. Play your best players, let the Game situation dictate substation patterns..

Comment

• Need to bounce back Saturday, 11 game to go, they can turn it around. Agree, coach was more focused on the officials than his team.

Comment

• As a basketball fan, I have tried to enjoy Bellarmine Basketball. The way the coaches disrespect the referees has me rooting against them. It's one thing to have bad moments another to be consistently harassing officials.

Comment

• That was a great experiment, if Scotty thinks the team got better tonight he truly has lost it, Friday must have been a great practice, players who played very little or no minutes Thursday to starting today, I watch a lot of basketball that does not happen,

Comment

• Originally posted by Knights Hall View Post
            That was a great experiment, if Scotty thinks the team got better tonight he truly has lost it, Friday must have been a great practice, players who played very little or no minutes Thursday to starting today, I watch a lot of basketball that does not happen,

Comment

• Drury is not good, they lost by 39 Thursday at UINDY.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knights Hall View Post
                That was a great experiment, if Scotty thinks the team got better tonight he truly has lost it, Friday must have been a great practice, players who played very little or no minutes Thursday to starting today, I watch a lot of basketball that does not happen,
                Are you saying that because other coaches don't replace their starting five it was a bad idea? Not following your logic. Scotty had a great coaching game Saturday. He sent a message to the team and they won. Not sure how it could have come out any better. Also, it has to pay dividends down the road to see freshmen Pfriem and Tipton play so well. The question I keep asking myself is how did Tipton manage to get free for layups when we haven't seen any of the starters do that in weeks?

Comment

• Was out of town for the Drury game so I didn't see it, but very pleased that Pfriem and Tipton had great games. Were their shots mostly layups off the motion offense? I've been watching Pfriem and Wieland in shoot arounds and warm ups and I think they could be really good players down the road. Unfortunately we've got more experienced guards playing in front of them of which only one is graduating. I just don't want to have a repeat of the Brent Bach experience where he turned out to be a super offensive weapon but we never really got to see how good until his senior year. One thing the Knights don't have now is a good jump shooter, a guy who can drive the lane and shoot the 10-15 foot jumper when the paint gets clogged up. CJ is a decent 3 point shooter if he gets set and has a lot of time but he is not a pull up jump shooter, neither is Dylan Penn unless he's closer to the basket. I know that layups and unmolested 3 pt. shots are the bread and butter of our offense but having a spot up jump shooter would be good to have.

Comment

• Last night's loss was tough, because it many aspects of the game Bellarmine played very well. 53% from the field, 45 % from 3, 23 assists on 28 made baskets. Its hard to blame the loss on offesive woes. It must have been defense, because UIS had very similar numbers. USI won the game because they made one more 3 than Bellarmine and Bellarmine made one more free throw than USI, thus the 2 point win. Not trying to make excuses, but it seemed like USI hit an abnormal amount of contested shots. I guess Scotty would say they were not contested enough. Although the most basic reason BU loss was failure to execute in the end. They did not have a bunch of TO's (only 10) but they had two crucial ones in the closing 2 minutes.

BTW, weird stat, only two guys shot free throws for the game. One for each team. Not sure I've ever seen that before. Not sure if that is evidence of bad officiating or good officiating. I know it makes for a better spectator game.
                    Last edited by Knightmoves; 01-31-2020, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• If I'm a coach in the GLVC, I'm playing a zone against BU. One of the reasons BU likes to swing the ball from side to side and then inside back to outside is to tire out the defense. UIS merely shuffled a little as the ball went from side to side until BU eventually threw up a 3. Unable to get any inside shots or transition chances the game reverted to a 3 pt shooting contest which reverted to a dead heat with the team getting the last shot becoming the winner. The Knights are not going to advance in the post season if they get into this type of game.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGrad1971 View Post
                        If I'm a coach in the GLVC, I'm playing a zone against BU. One of the reasons BU likes to swing the ball from side to side and then inside back to outside is to tire out the defense. UIS merely shuffled a little as the ball went from side to side until BU eventually threw up a 3. Unable to get any inside shots or transition chances the game reverted to a 3 pt shooting contest which reverted to a dead heat with the team getting the last shot becoming the winner. The Knights are not going to advance in the post season if they get into this type of game.
                        The Zone yielded many open three pointers, of which BU hit a very good percentage. I did not think the zone was terribly effective.

Comment

• Why did we not pressure the ball at the end of the game? Let them bring it right up the court and gave the plenary of time to get a shot off.

Comment

• They sure packed it in and all our 3's looked pretty open to me. They shot 40% from 3 not much different from their season average of 38.7%. They absolutely made them when they counted. Castillo their best 3 point shooter and he gets free twice down the stretch.

Our late game execution is not good... that is 3 games in a row that we have blown leads and outscored in final 10 minutes.... 4 if you count lead in OT vs. Indy.

Also, I am confused.... Pfriem and Penny start and play pretty decent in 1st half, both start 2nd half, play 2 minutes and are on the bench the rest of the game. Final 3rd of season and we have no set lineup or rotation.

I figure GLVC gets 4-5 spots max for NCAA.............we are in a dogfight now

Comment

• I do think that we all have a tendency to blame our team for a loss and not give proper credit to the winning team. Soetan played a great game for UIS. I was especially impressed with the pass to Castillo at the end. He did not try to play hero ball and force up a shot. He had 5 assists with 24 points and no turnovers and got that big steal.

Comment

• The GLVC Sports Network is a great tool to showcase the GLVC. That game between UIS and Bell was very well played and there were multiple big time shots by both teams. UIS showed their potential but I think they overachieved. Even though Bellarmine lost, they were impressive.

The move to D1 looks like a great deal for Bellarmine with the potential increased exposure and revenue. Maybe they can win the conference then steal some Notre Dame and/or Creighton recruits.

Losing teams to D1 doesn't necessarily weaken the GLVC. I think other teams have shown potential to step up to be players on the national scene. The GLVC has had a hand in challenging these great programs that move on and there is no reason to think it won't continue to have success.
                                Last edited by crazznewt; 01-31-2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X