Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A true number cruncher, which I greatly admire because I seriously lack the ability.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
      ... but have ... a JD ...
      Ambulance chaser.

Comment

• POST MORTEM FOR THE KNIGHT'S SEASON. (Poor termininology considering the Pandemic). Let's just call it final grades:

Note: Grades are curved to expectations.

Alex Cook: A

High expectations and high execution. Ultimately had fewer TO's than I was expecting. Probably would have liked to see him get more shots than what he had. Had a tendancy to miss easy shots.

Parker Chitty: A

Met his high defensive expectations and exceeded offensive expectations late in the season.

Ethan Claycomb: B+
        No expectations coming into the season, but successfully raised the expectations early on. His 3 point shooting picked way up at the end of the season. Too many defensive lapses.

CJ Fleming: B
        Solid performance. Made a bunch of clutch 3 pointers. I like his confidence in his shooting, but did take more than a few unwise shots. Not a defensive stopper. Really needs to be able to penetrate and score to become a really good scorer. My main concern is that this is the best we will see from him, good but not great.

Pedro Bradshaw: B
        His numbers are very solid. A little disappointed in his playing time, which I assume is a lack of him earning more in practice. His primary weakness is probably something he can do nothing about, and that is upper body strength. He is going to have to step up his scoring and assists next season.

Alex Pfriem: B
        He did some great stuff when he got in the game. Seems like the fans would have liked to see him get more time. He is going to have to play the 3 for Bellarmine. He looks like a guy who is physically capable of adding some strength and being a good inside player.

Ben Weyer: C
        Disappointing senior season, and I am not considering the last few games when he was obviously hurt. The most shocking stat for him is that he only had 16 free throw attempst for the season, and only 10 in conference games. For perspective, Alex Cook, shot 142 free throws, 100 in conference games. The D2 leader shot about 240. Of course this is illustrative of the lack of inside scoring in Ben's game. It was frustrating because on the few occasions when he posted or penetrated, he looked good doing it

Dylan Penn: C
        Very high expectations coming into the season and initially lived up to them. Really did not perform well after January 1. The lack of an outside game was not a surprise, but he simply has a tendancy to disappear. Very disappointed in his defensive effort. This is a guy with the physical skills to defend any guard the opponent can put on the floor. He needs to shut people down. I still believe he will improve and be a great player for the next two seasons.

Cobe Penny: C
        Expectations were high coming into the season. I could not fault his effort. He needs to be a big offensive factor, and he still may.

Scott Davenport: C
        Sorry coach, but the team had too much talent to have the mediocre conference season it had. I am not sure if the move to D1 was a distraction. It is hard to put a finger on any one thing that caused the losses. It seemed like early on the offense struggled, and the defense was solid. Most of the losses, however, resulted from poor defensive performances. The defensive scheme needs to be rethought.

I try not to be one of those fans who lives and dies with recruitng news, but I am concernced about the lack of any committments for next season, espcially since any transfers will not be eligible unless they get a waiver. We need some inside strength and a lightning quick point guard (a la Chris Whitehead or Al Davis) . Maybe a JUCO is in the works. Maybe Baylor Younker will make a leap forward. I sure would have liked to see the freshman play more, especially Pfriem, Tipton, and Younker. We had guys who were underperforming for periods of time, why not give the younsters a chance? I don't think we would have won more games, but it would have paid dividends down the road.

Comment

• I mostly agree with "Moves" rankings although I would quibble a little with Chitty and Weyer. I can't criticize Parker for his tremendous hustle and defensive effort but I feel you over emphasized his offensive prowess based on that one game. Lets face it, for the first 90% of the season he couldn't make a shot to save his name (I know that sounds cruel since he seems to be a really good young man and it hurts to criticize a good kid). Likewise Weyer had a good 60-70% early part of the season but then his game suffered in the late season. I agree Dylan Penn's last half was very disappointing - it seems like once coaches had chances to scout his game and saw how to stop him in close, he became ineffective - and missing free throws in critical points really hurt. My main worry now is next season. I don't think we can count on a D1 transfer coming on board to help us with our inside game (I guess there could always be a special case who would qualify for some kind of waiver but I don't think we can bank on that). We are going to need inside help - Pedro can get some rebounds but he is no "inside banger".

Comment

• Ask for a transfer, and ye shall receive -- 6'10" chap who may be a decent shooter (admittedly based on high school and not the year at Peay):
            https://www.courierpress.com/story/s...ll/2890069001/

By the way, I can see us trying to schedule Iona sooner rather than later. How funny would it be to see Pitino roaming the visitor sideline?

Comment

• Originally posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
              Ask for a transfer, and ye shall receive -- 6'10" chap who may be a decent shooter (admittedly based on high school and not the year at Peay):
              https://www.courierpress.com/story/s...ll/2890069001/

By the way, I can see us trying to schedule Iona sooner rather than later. How funny would it be to see Pitino roaming the visitor sideline?
              There is no reason to think that DeVault will get a waiver on sitting out a year, unless they just waive the rule for everybody, or just get rid of the rule (soething that was already being seriously discussed). To my knowledge, the tranfer rule applies to schools in the transistion period. I would highly doubt that the existing teams in D1 would want to give transitioning teams a license to raid d1 rosters.

He may be a nice player for us, his skill set looks similar to Younkers.

The Iona thing would be a blast. I would give Pitino a ton of credit if he had the guts to come to Bellarmine to play. Maybe he would find it entertaining. The Bellarmine fans would treat him great, but the UofL and UK fans, who would try to buy up the tickets, would be on him like stink on ****zky.

Comment

There is no reason to think that DeVault will get a waiver on sitting out a year, unless they just waive the rule for everybody ... .
                Yeah, I think our only hope of him (and others) being immediately eligible is some sort of bulk waiver by the NCAA, maybe in light of COVID-19.

Just offhand, maybe DeVault can be something akin to Suggs, albeit with a version with a bit more bulk.

Comment

• Cannot see NC2A just letting everyone transfer but we are in crazy times. DeVault was described as a stretch 4. Nice addition but we need an Obi Toppin...... a nobody who becomes somebody.
                  I am taking hope that we follow the NKU model.
                  Guess we taking a beating for 2 years with build up to NCAA eligible year.

Comment

• https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ii/2869288001/

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Smooth View Post
                      Cannot see NC2A just letting everyone transfer but we are in crazy times. DeVault was described as a stretch 4. Nice addition but we need an Obi Toppin...... a nobody who becomes somebody.
                      I am taking hope that we follow the NKU model.
                      Guess we taking a beating for 2 years with build up to NCAA eligible year.
                      I have completely unrealistic expectations. I'm expecting an NIT bid the first year and an NIT championship before NCAA eligibility .

Comment

I have completely unrealistic expectations. I'm expecting an NIT bid the first year and an NIT championship before NCAA eligibility .
                        Ditto. Ever since the announcement last summer, I've been shooting my mouth off about going to the NIT in the first D-I season.

Our guys did kind of limp into the short-lived post-season, and things in general are just weird for the foreseeable future; but, assuming we get college sports back next academic year, I can still see America's Team(TM) having a solid campaign on the hardwood.

Comment

• Better get some players if that is going to happen. Have you seen the roster?

Comment

• Well, the one saving grace may be the weakness of the ASUN conference when compared to other DI conferences. The combined won loss non-conference record for all 9 teams was 58 wins and 83 losses (only one team, Liberty, had a better than .500 non-conference record), and if you eliminate Liberty's record from the total you get 41 wins and 84 losses for the other 8 teams. I realize that the lower "mid major" conferences are sometimes called upon to be a "punching bag" for a guaranteed pay day, But the ASUN may be the poster boy for that role. I have not done exhaustive research on the other smaller D1 conferences so if anyone has looked at this and thinks this is typical, I'll gladly withdraw my opinion.

Comment

• A website that lists conference RPI rankings has the ASUN 25th out of 32 D1 conferences which suggests there are weaker conferences. The OVC comes out lower than the ASUN. I guess if you want to compare two smaller conferences you need to look at head-to-head games between the conference members.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knights Hall View Post
                                Better get some players if that is going to happen. Have you seen the roster?
                                Yeah, I'm not predicting first-season NIT anymore, but, like I said, I think a respectable season is possible.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X