• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alderson Broaddus 63 Ferris State 56 with under 8 to play

Comment

• 65 all with 4 to play....too many turnovers

Comment

• Final: Ferris State 77 ABU 73

Bocook with 20 points, KJ Walker with 15, Spruell with 12 and Shriver with 10. Hopefully Coach Dye sent a message to two of our players that didn't play yesterday. I hear Bradford's issue is clearinghouse and could be resolved this week or last all season. He would be a big help.

We have a week to prepare and get some things resolved before Seton Hill comes to Philippi next Saturday night. I like Okoye and Grayson a little more than Cantrell, but I don't see things in practice as well. Shriver has to be more consistent on the road. We shot 88% from the FT line. We were outrebounded 54-41 which really cost us when we had the lead along with some bad turnovers. I do think we have the potential to be much better than I expected. Time will tell as every one gets better.

Comment

• Nice OOC win for the women's team last night as they defeated a 2-0 UPJ team 79-70. Good job ladies!

Comment

• I watched the basketball game last night. We lose at home to a Seton Hill team that had 9 freshmen on the roster. We gave up 53 points in the first half at home to a team in their only game this year scored 61 points in a loss to a bad Wheeling team. Unreal. Malik Bocook missed the game. I hear his girlfriend is giving birth to his baby back home. I watched us in the first half chase screens all freaking half.....continually chasing thru double-screens and not once helping off. Same result each and every possession. We never once challenged a bunch of freshmen by pushing the defense further away instead packed it in instead of pushing their guards further from the basket and not letting them get into their offense. And why we try the ice technique in defending the screen-and-roll against such a young team is beyond me. We tried to ice, they penetrated further with their guards and their bigs established position all night when they needed to.No reason we couldn't hedge big to guard and actually physical up a little bit against a bunch of guys that were learning to shave as well as play at this level. Rebounding with this club is a serious issue. Rebounding is about effort and attitude toward the technique. We also missed a ton of close shots close to the basket because we go up with this herky-jerky moves instead of just powering up the ball. It was guards and bigs doing this.

Football team finished with one win with a team that had a lot returning. Kentucky Wesleyan went up and down the field all day yesterday. That was a KWC team that entered the game winless I might add. We gave up 70 points on the road to a Chowan team that finished with 3 wins. I guess we will blow up the roster in the off-season, claim we are young next season when we don't win a game or win one, and then tweet "Trust the Process". I can't wait.

We finished next to last in the conference in women's volleyball. Women's soccer finished dead last as usual. Men's soccer, in a rebuilding year, was very competitive with some very good teams. They barely lost in the playoffs on the road to a very good Ohio Valley team. I have no problem with men's soccer because he gets it done in all facets. And I mean that sincerely.

I will give the fact that the men's basketball team needs time but no progress is going to be made with what appears to be a roster of high maintenance players. I went to two games in the first year of the G-MAC. I saw us in 2014 beat Cedarville 93-57. We had players that were mostly four or three-year players. We dismantled them in every phase. The next day I read Pat Estepp's comments that he said "AB had a blueprint for how to build a team". He said "that is the direction we need to go". I also saw us beat Kentucky Wesleyan at home.....two well-coached teams, two teams with players, two teams that finished with 20+ wins that year. I said to myself that at least we have two programs that will be prime in this conference for the future. Instead, it appears both programs aren't even close to prime. We lost to a bad Seton Hill team at home that brought 9 freshmen to the game and KWC lost at home to an Urbana team that was 6-20 last year, dead last in the MEC and started the year 0-2. Both programs right now look like an 18-wheeler trying to go with 16 flat tires. I am not trying to be condescending to any one. My point is that Pat Estepp has actually done a solid job at Cedarville. He has a nice recruiting plan and develops players. He recruits players that fit exactly what he wants to do. He doesn't try the band-aid approach or the quick fix approach. Hats off to them because 5 years ago there was a wide disparity. He went 21-12 last year and 14-6 in a much stronger G-MAC then where it was 5 years ago. It might be time for AB to follow the "Cedarville blue print".

I just can't be a cheerleader. The Creehan's ruined us for years. Terrible decisions, bad finances and no direction. I feel for Bodkins. I trust her. She just hired a very qualified cross-country and track & field coach who has had success at the D2 level. I am hoping that the next 2 to 3 years I can at least see some progress. I just want that. If it is coming off critical, well....it is because I care and love where I graduated from. I actually hate being critical.

Comment

• Sal Dewalt has resigned as head football coach:
              https://gobattlers.com/news/2019/11/...-football.aspx

This is another key hire for the new athletic director. At least she will be able to bring her own hires in and work with them. This is the fourth head coach she has had to replace since she got the job.

Men's team hosts West Virginia Wesleyan tomorrow night. They will try to beat us by 60 points if they get a chance. I hope we step it up from Saturday night.

Comment

• Congrats to the team on the win over rival WV Wesleyan. Congrats to Coach Dye on his first win as HC at ABU.

Comment

• Tough loss at Lake Erie Last year LE did the same to us.We just could not guard that kid.

Comment

• I coach ball right now so my time is short and I won't be on here much. We did have a weather cancellation Monday night as all activities were cancelled. I was able to watch a good part of the game which I don't have the opportunity to do right now. I thought we played pretty well in all honesty. We have to figure out the last four minutes of a game. This is the second time in a row we did not play well in the final four minutes. We did the same with Findlay as the game was tied with five minutes to play. We had a 59-53 lead going into the final timeout against Lake Erie on the road. You have to make someone else beat you other than the Kynard kid.

Josh Bradford is now cleared to play and played his first game against LE. I truthfully feel he is our most talented player. He is in beginning season mode as other players are getting towards mid-season. That is okay. Hopefully we don't have academic casualties. We will find out Thursday night I guess. If no casualties and Bradford is good, we can win some games next semester. We have to now figure out how to close games on both ends of the floor. Bradford gives us a good distributor but also a guy who can break down defenders off the dribble. He has a nice shot.

I like Coach Dye a lot and his staff. I really do. It is a tough start but I think they have a chance to get the ball rolling. Beating UC at home tomorrow night would be huge, but that is an excellent Charleston team that is 8-2 and fresh off a win over West Liberty. I wish nothing but the best for the staff.

I asked for improvement on the women's side and we have gotten improvement. We are making proper strides, not monumental, but good strides. They have won 3 of their last 5 but the scores in the losses are much more competitive. It will take a few more recruiting cycles but we are seeing growth. They lost to a 8-1 Shepherd team on the road by a freak bucket off a missed free throw.

We need to make a solid hire in football as I heard the team discipline and players buying in was not there.

Comment

• https://gobattlers.com/news/2020/1/1...r-repairs.aspx

Well.....I was texted this news this afternoon. Terrible for the two basketball teams that were just starting to play some good ball. Unless we can work something out with Philip-Barbour HS, I have no clue where we are going to practice. Games this weekend moved to road games. I guess we could move some of our home games to the Nathan Goff Armory in Clarksburg. Real tough situation to deal with when there is no other gym on campus.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                        https://gobattlers.com/news/2020/1/1...r-repairs.aspx

Well.....I was texted this news this afternoon. Terrible for the two basketball teams that were just starting to play some good ball. Unless we can work something out with Philip-Barbour HS, I have no clue where we are going to practice. Games this weekend moved to road games. I guess we could move some of our home games to the Nathan Goff Armory in Clarksburg. Real tough situation to deal with when there is no other gym on campus.
                        And they, suddenly, had to do this in the middle of basketball season? Seems like they would have known soon enough for AB to schedule tonight's game closer to home.

Comment

• Comment

• No choice. If the building was deemed to have structural issues they have to close it down immediately. At that point there's far too much liability involved and it's a public safety issue.

Comment

• Coming back on a bus from a game and I saw AB outscored Tiffin 53-36 in 2nd half to get the road win. I know last weekend was tough after very little prep time due to gym situation but nice bounceback tonight with 5 guys in double figures.

I didn't see it but wanted to say congrats to players and coaches.

Comment

• ABU has announced schedule changes due to the closing of Rex Pyles Arena for the year. These are date, time and venue changes. Oddly enough, we are playing basketball games at WV Wesleyan and D&E which seem to be accommodating us. Not trying to read between any lines there but surprising they were so quick to help out especially since our relationship with WV Wesleyan was pretty bad about six years ago.

Philippi, W. Va. -- Due to the scheduled closing of Rex Pyles Arena, the Alderson Broaddus Athletics Department has announced the following schedule changes:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X