Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost to Salem the other night after having a 23 point lead? I don't fault Dye for this mess this season. A senior transfer had to be let go a few weeks ago. Dye didn't recruit him. He came to AB with baggage. The arena situation is a nightmare. Let's just get this season over with.

Dye and staff have to put a stamp on recruiting. We have to change some direction in recruiting. The roster turnover, player issues during the season, grades.....I am tired of it. I would rather recruit a decent student who may be a notch or two below another player in talent, but develop him over four years and go that way. There are enough high school players out there to do it. I don't mind a transfer or two or a JUCO, but we have to get back to developing four year players. I consider next season as Dye's first season. But he has to get some quality recruits in. Losing Bocook will be a huge loss. He unfortunately has played on some bad teams, but he has been a quality player. We put too much emphasis on athletic talent and not enough on basketball IQ and basketball skills. We won 3 straight WVIAC tourneys and a regional final in the early 2000s with Dye, McBride and Allen on the floor. They weren't that athletically talented but man could they hoop. We went to another regional final with Jon Regula as a starter (a D-3 transfer) but man did he have basketball IQ.

Football appears to be in much better shape. Bodkins has some big challenges ahead as athletic director.

I am out for awhile.

Comment

• Basketball is mercifully over. I applaud the teams for what they had to go thru during the season. I was glad that the men finished off the season with a big margin of victory. But it is really time to have a good recruiting plan and focus on that.

Men's lacrosse was beaten by Frostburg St 35-4. That is ridiculous. It is no value to have some of these teams that just aren't competitive. That is a disgraceful score on all levels. This was a school that was D-III last season. At least the women's lacrosse team beat WV Wesleyan, a decent D2 squad. Men's volleyball rarely gets a win with a predominately D3 and NAIA schedule.

Comment

• A couple of signees today:

Vincent Smalls, a 6'5"/200 wing/forward out of Cuyahoga CC in Ohio. He averaged 10 pts / 10 boards a game.

Tahleik Walker, a 6'2" guard out of Pickerington Central HS in Ohio.

A couple of interesting transfers on the market:

Tre Baumgardner out of Columbus, OH left Minnesota State. He averaged 7.4 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game as a freshman. He redshirted last year after breaking his leg. He has been on campus before.

Cam Brooks-Harris is transferring from Marshall. He went to Zanesville HS, same as Malik Bocook. Probably a long shot.

Comment

• AB got a commit last night from Braxton County HS (WV) Jadyn Stewart. He averaged 22 points per game and was the Little Kanawha Conference player of the year. He dropped 50 points in a sectional win this year. I saw we offered West Liberty transfer Jon Alessandro as did Walsh. Walsh just nailed a good transfer from Mansfield.

I am a little concerned with a lot of small schools future if this Covid-19 process continues at this rate. I don't think we can survive as a school if the country continues into next year with this "shutdown" economy. I am not into conspiracy theories, but I have a pretty strong opinion on how a lot of this stuff is being handled. I have a governor here who deems my business is non-essential and will fine me $5000 and a year in jail if I open. I might have 8 to 10 people in my business at one time. But you can go into a warehouse Walmart store, pack 200 to 250 people at one time in there, and sell the same non-essential item. I find that real interesting and confirms that there is little difference between neo-cons and left-wing liberals other than arguing over a percentage point on income taxes. If this continues, you may have three places in your lifetime to buy things: Walmart, Target and Amazon.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
            AB got a commit last night from Braxton County HS (WV) Jadyn Stewart. He averaged 22 points per game and was the Little Kanawha Conference player of the year. He dropped 50 points in a sectional win this year. I saw we offered West Liberty transfer Jon Alessandro as did Walsh. Walsh just nailed a good transfer from Mansfield.

I am a little concerned with a lot of small schools future if this Covid-19 process continues at this rate. I don't think we can survive as a school if the country continues into next year with this "shutdown" economy. I am not into conspiracy theories, but I have a pretty strong opinion on how a lot of this stuff is being handled. I have a governor here who deems my business is non-essential and will fine me $5000 and a year in jail if I open. I might have 8 to 10 people in my business at one time. But you can go into a warehouse Walmart store, pack 200 to 250 people at one time in there, and sell the same non-essential item. I find that real interesting and confirms that there is little difference between neo-cons and left-wing liberals other than arguing over a percentage point on income taxes. If this continues, you may have three places in your lifetime to buy things: Walmart, Target and Amazon.
            The eye opening thing is there have been people warning about these very things happening! Before this ever hit America, I was warned to buy toilet paper. I never have bought into conspiracy theories but my "Out there" friends have hit the nail on the head with their "rumors" time after time.

Comment

• ABU signs 6'4" guard/forward Jalen Martin out of Jackson Community College in Michigan. He is a native of Chicago. He averaged 11.6 ppg and 5 rpg. He is a lefty.

Comment

• Good looking freshman guard just signed. He played on a AAA Ohio squad that went 24-3 and advanced to the OHSSA state tournament winning the first round game before the tourney was canceled. Very explosive and talented. He played on a talented team. One of his teammates signed with Bowling Green, another with Pikeville and another signed to play football at Grand Valley State. So he was around some talent and production. This is a very good pickup on both ends of the floor. He averaged 12 ppg, 6 rpg, 4 apg and 3.2 spg according to his coach. Good work by the staff on this one. This looks to be the best signee so far.

http://battlerbeat.blogspot.com/2020...m-jadakis.html
                Last edited by JDonAB92; 04-17-2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• All commits have signed. I have us with:

Jadakis Mack, a 6'3" freshman guard with athleticism
                  Vincent Smalls, a 6'5" JUCO transfer who can rebound
                  Jalen Martin, a 6'4" JUCO transfer who can shoot outside
                  Jadyn Stewart, a 6'0" freshman guard from nearby Sutton, WV
                  Tahleik Walker, a 6'2" freshman point from Pickerington Central, OH who has a nice defensive game https://twitter.com/i/status/1251222025991065601

We also have a transfer who sat out last season in Christian Miller-Cardwell who will have three years of eligibility left after transferring from Limestone. He had good production as a freshman for Limestone during the second half of the season in 2018-19. He finished with averages of 7.0 ppg and 3.6 rpg. He is a 6'4" wing/forward from Gainesville, FL.

Not a bad class so far with some offers still out there. Add these players to hopefully Walker, Shriver and Bradford (hopefully healthy this season), then it gives me hope for next season to make a step up. We still need to add one or two more quality pieces. This will truthfully be Coach Dye's first season coming up.

With Urbana closing, I am guessing we will have one more MEC team on the football schedule this year. We open up with Glenville State on the road. It would be nice to add Fairmont or Wesleyan.
                  Last edited by JDonAB92; 04-28-2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Greg Zimmerman to be inducted to the Alderson Broaddus Hall of Fame. I just hope we can have the banquet. With WV trying to open back up, I am hoping in June that is a possibility. I will make it if we have the ceremony. I will defy the rogue dictator here in Maryland of the travel ban to travel over the mountains. It is actually my choice....not a governor.

Comment

• Men's soccer just signed the WV State Player of the Year in soccer in Khori Miles out of Clarksburg RC Byrd HS. Oddly enough, he was an excellent basketball player for a very good RC Byrd squad. I wonder if he will play both at AB. I know he was selected to the North-South all star game and was second team all state. The first team had four D-I signees.

I heard there is a chance we play at University of Charleston in football during the last weekend of September. I don't know that to be true.

Jim Seaton also will be inducted to the AB Hall of Fame. Well deserved! Seaton wore a lot of hats at AB. He was a long-time assistant in men's basketball under Dave Barksdale who did a tremendous job at AB. He built the women's basketball program from scratch. He also was the first cross-country coach at AB and won a WVIAC men's crown and did a tremendous job with cross-country. He was also a professor on campus and well-regarded. Between he and Zimmerman, we should get some good stories at the banquet.

Comment

• 6'11" center Lucas Jannsen Perez has committed to Alderson Broaddus. He played for Combine Academy last year.

Comment

• https://ibb.co/DDPkLCX

I linked a copy of our 1983-84 men's basketball pocket schedule above that I found tucked away at my house. Notice the schedule. 25 games....all but the Walsh Tournament were games within the confines of the state of West Virginia. I also pointed out that Jim Daddisman broadcast all games, home and away, on WVHF FM 93 which was a Clarksburg station that had an excellent range in north central WV. It went as far south as Flatwoods and far north as Morgantown.

That year was also Tim Brinkley's first year as basketball coach. We had the weekly coach's show on WBOY-TV out of Clarksburg. Those were good days. The year before that season WV Wesleyan had gone to the championship game of the NAIA tournament losing to Charleston Southern at Kemper Arena in Kansas City.

Those were days we had to play conference games on the Monday-Thursday-Saturday format.
                          Last edited by JDonAB92; 05-30-2020, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X