Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The coaching shuffle

My sources tell me that there will be a shuffle in the GNAC. One current GNAC head men's coach is going to be at the helm of another GNAC program sometime in the next week or so. I'll let you all play "fill in the blank" and speculate.

Re: The coaching shuffle

Read it online, northern might have been right.

Comment

Read what? My only *sources* are hunches or my crystal ball. I don't know anything. If I was right about worrying that Durham would move to Billings, that would be weird. Billings is not exactly the sought after area of Montana (says one, living in Fairbanks =)) and Durham is fixin to call it a career soon, so that would not have been my first choice of filling in the blank... Seriously, what did you read Tsull. My *sources* tell me that lv2hoop isn't giving any more hints.

http://www.gnacsports.com/gnac/mbbdirect/

Totally bracing myself now...

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
        Read what? My only *sources* are hunches or my crystal ball. I don't know anything. If I was right about worrying that Durham would move to Billings, that would be weird. Billings is not exactly the sought after area of Montana (says one, living in Fairbanks =)) and Durham is fixin to call it a career soon, so that would not have been my first choice of filling in the blank... Seriously, what did you read Tsull. My *sources* tell me that lv2hoop isn't giving any more hints.

http://www.gnacsports.com/gnac/mbbdirect/

Totally bracing myself now...
        In another post you said you hoped MSU-B wouldn't make a run at Mick Durham. In today's HoopDirt.com, he's listed as possibly the leader for that job.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Oh wow. Major bummer. Hmmm. I did not think speculating that Durham would be interested in Billings was actually going to happen-seriously, I was joking. Major Bummer. Can't see Howard staying here either, if I'm consulting my crystal ball either.

Comment

Oh wow. Major bummer. Hmmm. I did not think speculating that Durham would be interested in Billings was actually going to happen-seriously, I was joking. Major Bummer. Can't see Howard staying here either, if I'm consulting my crystal ball either.
                Howard will leave Fairbanks and end up at either MSU-B with Durham or another NAIA school in MT, according to the crystal ball I'm reading from. There's a possibility that Howard will also be able to recruit his brother to whichever school he ends up coaching at. His brother redshirted this season for EWU and was the Gatorade POY in Montana his junior and senior seasons for Great Falls High.

Comment

Montana State (Bozeman) never should've dumped Mick. He was their lifetime coach, and they haven't done crap since he left.

Comment

Okay. When you guys get any good news for Fairbanks from your crystal ball, lemme know... The fact that Mick is leaving Fairbanks not for retirement but for more work tends to make me think things are pretty grim here. When this breaks we'll officially be looking for an AD, a women's coach and a men's coach. I think hockey is interim coach right now too. Ummm. Hmmmm.

Comment

Wasn't his prior departure under questionable circumstances that basically sank the UAF basketball program?

http://www.alaskananooks.com/news/20...px?path=mbball

I was not privy to al the details, but does he get a second chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_AK View Post
                        Wasn't his prior departure under questionable circumstances that basically sank the UAF basketball program?

http://www.alaskananooks.com/news/20...px?path=mbball

I was not privy to al the details, but does he get a second chance?
                        I don't know the answer to that Rob. He did resign under less than ideal circumstances and the program was headed into the toilet as he was exiting. That's the one hand that we know. The other hand is that he's racked up lots of accolades coaching high school ball at Monroe-coach of the year multiple times with a extremely solid winning record, much like the Nooks had when he coached here. It's been a while since the circumstances in which he resigned happened. He probably learned a lot from that. He would need to answer those questions, but I think there is no doubt that he's an excellent coach. Last winter I went to a prep game at Monroe to see what Ostanik was up to there and per usual they were beating up on their other 3A competitors. I did notice that he's sporting some silver now-no biggie cause Durham wasn't sporting much of anything on his head anymore, but I don't know where Ostanik is with just being content with the legendary program he's put together at Monroe or if he is interested in the extreme challenges that UAF offers at this point in his career. It's clear that Ostanik lives in Fairbanks, so that does look more stable than many, many other options. Is he interested? Is the university interested in him based on what they know? The other question is do Jalon and Michael want to play for their former high school coach? I gather the answer would be yes, because who doesn't like winning, but I don't know. If they did and Ostanik was interested, that might keep the flood gates from opening for the players who are here now. UAF was only losing one senior to graduation this spring, but I'm not convinced that players won't be hitting the road soon either, so UAF would be wise to act swiftly and give Ostanik a call, I think. We'll see. I'm pretty bummed, not gonna lie at all. I didn't want to say anything more until the announcement was made, because a big part of me wanted lv2hoop to be VERY WRONG on this. It's just not a pretty picture here right now. We'll see.

Comment

I don't know the answer to that Rob. He did resign under less than ideal circumstances and the program was headed into the toilet as he was exiting. That's the one hand that we know. The other hand is that he's racked up lots of accolades coaching high school ball at Monroe-coach of the year multiple times with a extremely solid winning record, much like the Nooks had when he coached here. It's been a while since the circumstances in which he resigned happened. He probably learned a lot from that. He would need to answer those questions, but I think there is no doubt that he's an excellent coach. Last winter I went to a prep game at Monroe to see what Ostanik was up to there and per usual they were beating up on their other 3A competitors. I did notice that he's sporting some silver now-no biggie cause Durham wasn't sporting much of anything on his head anymore, but I don't know where Ostanik is with just being content with the legendary program he's put together at Monroe or if he is interested in the extreme challenges that UAF offers at this point in his career. It's clear that Ostanik lives in Fairbanks, so that does look more stable than many, many other options. Is he interested? Is the university interested in him based on what they know? The other question is do Jalon and Michael want to play for their former high school coach? I gather the answer would be yes, because who doesn't like winning, but I don't know. If they did and Ostanik was interested, that might keep the flood gates from opening for the players who are here now. UAF was only losing one senior to graduation this spring, but I'm not convinced that players won't be hitting the road soon either, so UAF would be wise to act swiftly and give Ostanik a call, I think. We'll see. I'm pretty bummed, not gonna lie at all. I didn't want to say anything more until the announcement was made, because a big part of me wanted lv2hoop to be VERY WRONG on this. It's just not a pretty picture here right now. We'll see.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X