Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transfer thread ... SPU loses best player

Yes, that is correct. If you transfer within conference, you have to sit out a year. If you transfer outside, you are immediately eligible to play.

Comment

Also, in terms of Tony Miller, it was a huge shock when he signed with SPU: 1. Because he was receiving interest from D1 teams and 2. he supposedly had low hs grades and SPU has higher than average admission standards. Then on the SPU Alaska trip, he was injured in the Thursday game at UAF and never played in another game. By the end of the year, he wasn't even on the bench at home games which usually signals transfer. Honestly, SPU played better without him down the stretch but I hate to see talented players leave the league.

Comment

The crazy transfer business ... if I have time, I'd love to track the data on these 4-year to 4year transfers and see if they really work. The first thing kids are looking for is playing time, the second thing they're looking for is the number of shots they can jack. Somewhere down the list are their school major and actually winning games.

Last year WOU had an Academy of Art transfer, Kulic. I thought he was pretty good, but his minutes were very limited. I remember seeing him on the bench, certainly not looking happy -- I wouldn't be happy either. But here he was in Monmouth, after redshirting for a year at WOU and possibly becoming the heir apparent to Andy Avgi. That didn't happen. Maybe things were great off the court, good major, good social life, girlfriend, internship, future job ... I'm not sure. I do know he was a double-figure scorer at AA, who got plenty of minutes. To me, the transfer didn't seem worth it, that is unless he had a great college experience at WOU, and maybe AA wasn't what he was looking for in a college.

I'm not sure the world will get better for our latest GNAC transfers. The D-1 hopefuls -- WWU and CWU guys -- aren't D-1 starters in my book, so maybe they're happy sitting at a lower major D-1 and not going to the NCAA tourney, and that's fine. I think the WWU to Point Loma transfer is a lateral move, except living in San Diego is a serious upgrade from B-Ham. I could be way off and I'm sure some will disagree with me.

Comment

Looks like the transfer bug it starting to hit UAF. Not a total surprise given the coaching change but key contributors Davis Kimble & Amonefis Mitchell will be headed elsewhere next season.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGNAC View Post
            Looks like the transfer bug it starting to hit UAF. Not a total surprise given the coaching change but key contributors Davis Kimble & Amonefis Mitchell will be headed elsewhere next season.
            Bummer, I always like to see guys finish it out, didn't each have one year left? Hope the new coach (whomever that will be) can put together a solid roster.

* I see Simon Fraser picked up a D-1 transfer in a 6-11 post. He's a Canadian who last played at Santa Clara.

Comment

I kind of wonder how these transfer guys keep their college world together. I know the world has changed over the years, but I remember the professors during my time wouldn't write me a letter of recommendation for a job unless they really knew me. I would only go to the select few profs I knew, and even then I only got a few.I had to battle to get letters.

Internships? I got mine through a friend who was a couple years older than me and ready to graduate. He was leaving his internship for the real working world and suggested to his internship boss that I'd be a good guy to hire, and I got the internship. I certainly couldn't have done this by spending one year at a college, and without developing friendships with other students.

I know the world has changed since I went to college a long time ago, but is it really a great thing to transfer all the time, especially at the D2 level, where your post-collegiate hoop playing opportunities are extremely limited? These transfers aren't setting themselves up very well for the real world (in my opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by MrGNAC View Post
                Not surprised at all. And if I'm being honest, not that worried about losing these two. Davis had/has some talent, but he's also got a little bit of an attitude and about 2/3 through the season he didn't show up for practice and lost his starting spot the next game and never got it back (at least at PG) when it was apparent McCullough was a steadier hand at the point and more of a team player. Amenofis had a few moments this season-just a few. He doesn't have the speed to play great at this level and he has a sleepy style and those two things together made him lose his starting spot to walk-on Eisenhut pretty early in the season. It's not that unusual for UAF to have turnover, but most of these guys that leave with one season left don't end up going anywhere to play. Honestly-look at their stats... Who is taking these guys for one season? Neither one of them can claim that they do things that don't show up in the stat sheet either. I don't wish them ill, but I think these kids should buck up and stick out another winter in Fairbanks. I understand the decision if it's coaching based, but I think sticking things out is a valuable life lesson.

Here's when I worry; when McCullough, Baham or Kluting transfer. All three are Alaska kids and IMO the heart of this team. They've all got some work to do (Baham needs to become more versatile and not just a 3 ball shooter, McCullough just needs more court time at this level-I think he's going to be pretty solid at the point by the time he's a senior, and Kluting needs to work on his speed and agility a little, but he is already pretty solid). Right behind these guys, I worry about Lendway and Eisenhut. When these guys go, I worry a lot, but not for Kimble or Mitchell. I hear resume's are due for the UAF position tomorrow and they are hoping to have a coach by mid-June... I'll try to post stuff if they announce names and interviews...

Comment

Looks like some transfer news from MSUB. No surprise that Coach Durham is building a strong squad:

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...ngs/600570002/

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/co...a51f360ca.html

Comment

Nice find on Montana State-Billings. I think Durham will build a great program there. Fairbanks needs to hold their heads high and try to find another coach like Durham. They are out there.

Comment

Azusa getting in on the transfer action, bringing in a couple of guys jumping down from D1: https://athletics.apu.edu/news/2018/...transfers.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by SGAstumpJ View Post
                        Azusa getting in on the transfer action, bringing in a couple of guys jumping down from D1: https://athletics.apu.edu/news/2018/...transfers.aspx
                        Both should really help, excellent pick ups.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X