Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC Freshman of the Year Khalil Shabazz Transferring from CWU

With a new coach always comes some fallout in regards to the roster. Unfortunately for CWU despite a great new coach, they will still be losing star freshman PG Khalil Shabazz. https://twitter.com/Khalilshabazz0/s...75222968827904

It is very disappointing that Shabazz is not giving Rinta a fair chance and he will surely be missing out on some great things to come. Now for something I decided to withhold from my social media accounts: This shows the difference between a player who comes to play for a program, university, team, and fans, versus one who comes to play for himself and for a coach.

Shabazz is betraying CWU and I have lost a great deal of respect for him. Clearly he needs to sort out what he values most in his basketball career.

Re: GNAC Freshman of the Year Khalil Shabazz Transferring from CWU

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    With a new coach always comes some fallout in regards to the roster. Unfortunately for CWU despite a great new coach, they will still be losing star freshman PG Khalil Shabazz. https://twitter.com/Khalilshabazz0/s...75222968827904

It is very disappointing that Shabazz is not giving Rinta a fair chance and he will surely be missing out on some great things to come. Now for something I decided to withhold from my social media accounts: This shows the difference between a player who comes to play for a program, university, team, and fans, versus one who comes to play for himself and for a coach.

Shabazz is betraying CWU and I have lost a great deal of respect for him. Clearly he needs to sort out what he values most in his basketball career.
    I don't blame you for your thoughts. I had similar ones when our coach was circulating his resume. I think it comes down to supporting our school and the school often asking us for money and our support, only to have people up and leave. (In our coach's defense, he returned to WOU.) Loyalty isn't a one-way street. Mr. Shabazz was given a great opportunity, one in which he earned freshman of the year in the conference. It's too bad it didn't work out for Sparling, whom I've heard is a great guy. Now a proven high-winning coach comes in and if you read the Lewiston Tribune article, you'll see that (like Sparling) cares deeply for his players. It's worth giving the new coach a shot, right?

I'm old school, I think loyalty means something ... then again I'm a hypocrite: I wildly applauded my school's season last year and they started five four-year transfers.

Comment

There is no loyalty in College Sports. And who says recruiting doesn't continue after the LOI is signed?

Comment

Also as expected Greg Sparling's son Coleman is leaving https://twitter.com/Sparling_23/stat...58799233875968

Nice letter he wrote though. CWU will have a bit of rebuilding to do and no idea who will be the leading scorer next year, but it is for the best

Comment

Originally posted by MrGNAC View Post
          There is no loyalty in College Sports. And who says recruiting doesn't continue after the LOI is signed?
          What I'm amazed at is how quickly these guys move from school to school. I think a lot of this originates from AAU ball, where coaching doesn't matter, only the club that can get one the most exposure. Many moons ago when I was in college, I ran cross country. We had four coaches in four years, but our roster stayed intact. We went from a below average team, to average, to a little better, to above average in four years. Most of the freshmen stayed put, some left because of bad grades or another school that had a different major than what WOU provided. No one was talking about jumping ship to another school for running purposes. Why? Because our friends, the professors we knew, and our life was at our college. I know this sounds old and quaint, but I'm guessing these hoopsters -- few in D-1 or D-2 will play at the next level -- just don't have any connection to their schools.

Comment

I could be naive, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the sport itself. Football and basketball are the premier college sports in the NW. While I'm a huge fan of T&F, CC, wrestling and softball, those sports don't have rabid followers. None of them get the spotlight bball and football do. I also think that Tim and I are old and loyalty is different in 2018 than it was in 19XX.......Even though I know Tim is still in playing shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post
              I could be naive, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the sport itself. Football and basketball are the premier college sports in the NW. While I'm a huge fan of T&F, CC, wrestling and softball, those sports don't have rabid followers. None of them get the spotlight bball and football do. I also think that Tim and I are old and loyalty is different in 2018 than it was in 19XX.......Even though I know Tim is still in playing shape.
              Ha, far from playing or running shape. I blame AAU. Football doesn't have a big transfer problem and that's one of the toughest if not the toughest practice sport out there. Yet guys hang in there at all levels, willing to take a beating and not play much. It's rather remarkable. Over the years WOU has had very, very few in-coming D-1 transfers. Most of their attrition are from guys who just don't want to play anymore.

Hoops is insane, most guys must think they're making it to the league or something ... or playing for $25K overseas, wow.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Sparling_23/stat...97380383358976

Sparling is playing next season at Southern Idaho (Juco)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X