Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess my Sparling to UAF assumption wasn't far off ...

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess my Sparling to UAF assumption wasn't far off ...

... from a national website, hoopdirt -- an excellent/accurate website:

* A hot name at Alaska Fairbanks is former Central Washington head coach Greg Sparling. Sparling was released at CWU back in March after 24-years as the head coach at the school (386-253). Current Fairbanks Interim Athletic Director & Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Keith Champagne (who was hired in September) had previously worked with Champagne at CWU for over 20-years.

Re: Guess my Sparling to UAF assumption wasn't far off ...

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    ... from a national website, hoopdirt -- an excellent/accurate website:

* A hot name at Alaska Fairbanks is former Central Washington head coach Greg Sparling. Sparling was released at CWU back in March after 24-years as the head coach at the school (386-253). Current Fairbanks Interim Athletic Director & Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Keith Champagne (who was hired in September) had previously worked with Champagne at CWU for over 20-years.

Good insight on that one Tsull. Sparling would have a handle on the GNAC and how to compete in it for sure. Recruiting to Fairbanks is always the big hurdle, but Sparling obviously already knows how to recruit athletes out to Central, which is actually kind of out in the boonies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lv2hoop View Post
      Good insight on that one Tsull. Sparling would have a handle on the GNAC and how to compete in it for sure. Recruiting to Fairbanks is always the big hurdle, but Sparling obviously already knows how to recruit athletes out to Central, which is actually kind of out in the boonies as well.
      One rumor is it's a done deal ... again, just a rumor. That would be a nice hire, IMO. Perhaps it was time to leave CWU, but that doesn't mean he can't coach. I agree, knows the GNAC, knows west coast recruiting, can find some players. Good guy, players like him ... I think it would be tough to top this hire for UAF in late June.

Comment

Being Fairbanks, Alaska in the winter time, UAF is a difficult place to recruit athletes to, especially recruiting players who are willing to stick around for more than a year for two. UAF is popular with junior college transfers, which is something Sparling has always preferred, anyways. So maybe that will work fine for him. I wonder if his son will transfer up there for his last 2 years if his dad does get the job.

Comment

Sparling to UAF would be perfect. I could hate them again like the old days. I liked Durham so that made it hard while he was there. Sparling will bring, how should I say it in a positive way, some edge to the rivalry.

Comment

Comment

I was going to give you the business, but knew you would own up. :laugh:

My source says it's all over but the ink drying on a contract ... I could be off on this. If true, I still really like the hire. It's tough in this world to hire back-to-back excellent hires. WOU did a nice job in hiring Brady Bergeson, wasn't sure they could follow that up with another good hire but they did in Shaw. Durham to Sparling would be another great 1-2 hiring and would sustain what they're trying to build in Fairbanks.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X