Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWU's Ultra-Thin Frontcourt

I have been informed that redshirt sophomore-to-be forward Cameron Williams is no longer with CWU. The Wildcats have done great with recruiting guards, but their front court has taken a massive hit and they have done nothing to recruit there aside from Matt Poquette.

CWU has lost 6'11" Fuquan Niles, 6'7" Jerome Bryant, and 6'6" Sage Woodruff to graduation, as well as 6'7" Coleman Sparling and 6'6" Cameron Williams who have transferred. CWU currently has THREE forwards: 6'8" redshirt junior Drake Rademacher (who has been injured most of the last 2 seasons), 6'7" sophomore Malcolm Cola, and 6'6" incoming freshman Matt Poquette.

Saint Martin's is a good example of a successful team that lacks much of a front court. But it is still an uphill battle. If Drake gets hurt again, then what? I am pretty shocked that CWU has not recruited a transfer forward from somewhere: JUCO, D2, a D1 reject. We have had Kevin Davis, Joseph Stroud, then Fuquan Niles. So where is the next shot-blocking machine for CWU?

Re: CWU's Ultra-Thin Frontcourt

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    I have been informed that redshirt sophomore-to-be forward Cameron Williams is no longer with CWU. The Wildcats have done great with recruiting guards, but their front court has taken a massive hit and they have done nothing to recruit there aside from Matt Poquette.

CWU has lost 6'11" Fuquan Niles, 6'7" Jerome Bryant, and 6'6" Sage Woodruff to graduation, as well as 6'7" Coleman Sparling and 6'6" Cameron Williams who have transferred. CWU currently has THREE forwards: 6'8" redshirt junior Drake Rademacher (who has been injured most of the last 2 seasons), 6'7" sophomore Malcolm Cola, and 6'6" incoming freshman Matt Poquette.

Saint Martin's is a good example of a successful team that lacks much of a front court. But it is still an uphill battle. If Drake gets hurt again, then what? I am pretty shocked that CWU has not recruited a transfer forward from somewhere: JUCO, D2, a D1 reject. We have had Kevin Davis, Joseph Stroud, then Fuquan Niles. So where is the next shot-blocking machine for CWU?
    Luckily in today's jack-a-3 game, CWU won't be in too bad of shape. That said, WOU's big post Vince Boughman played a key role for the Wolves last year, not as a shot blocker, but as a huge guy underneath.

Prep kids today are trained AAU style, which is outside shooting. Low posts (sadly) are rarely developed. Me personally, I love the old, big low post game ... though I do find the Golden State Warriors entertaining, too. Moving forward, CWU and other GNAC schools, need to find those unheralded big guys like Niles, Boughman (both transfers) and others. I really liked Point Loma's Ziggy Satterwawite, a Washington prep/North Idaho JC guy, who was a killer on the boards in the West Region tourney. He's not 7-0, he's 6-6/230, but a beast inside. That's the kind of guy D2 schools should get, IMO.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X