Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC recruits

http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/mbbsignees/

I know this is not the complete list of new GNAC players this season, but was surprised to see the number of new players for Concordia, Western Oregon, and NNU. Central Washington has quite a few too and I know MSUB has more than is listed here. Anyone particularly excited about certain players or teams coming together? I've got to think that Saint Martins and Western Oregon may be the preseason favorites this year, but could see a lot of change in the league with all the coaching changes and very talented players leaving the league again. It will create the opportunity for new coaches and players...

Re: GNAC recruits

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/mbbsignees/

I know this is not the complete list of new GNAC players this season, but was surprised to see the number of new players for Concordia, Western Oregon, and NNU. Central Washington has quite a few too and I know MSUB has more than is listed here. Anyone particularly excited about certain players or teams coming together? I've got to think that Saint Martins and Western Oregon may be the preseason favorites this year, but could see a lot of change in the league with all the coaching changes and very talented players leaving the league again. It will create the opportunity for new coaches and players...
    I don't think WOU will be favored. Losing Omlid, Faruq-Bey, Boughman, Morgan, Trammel, etc., is too much, IMO. They have some fine redshirts, but I just think the graduations are a huge hit.

Comment

I wonder how SPU will bounce back in Coach Leep's 3rd season? He has a bunch of seniors Looney brought in and they should be a seasoned group. Also, they have signed Jacob Medjo and Sam Boone along with NLI signee Moffit. Excited to see if this could be a bounce back year for the Falcons.

Comment

Originally posted by The Voice of Reason View Post
        I wonder how SPU will bounce back in Coach Leep's 3rd season? He has a bunch of seniors Looney brought in and they should be a seasoned group. Also, they have signed Jacob Medjo and Sam Boone along with NLI signee Moffit. Excited to see if this could be a bounce back year for the Falcons.
        I don't know enough about SPU, though I follow them. It seems they don't go the JC/4-year transfer route that often. One would think some of those D-1 Seattle guys scattered throughout the country and sitting on benches would want to come home. But kids are weird: a Southern Utah D-1 scholarship, sitting at the end of the bench in Cedar City and bragging about D-1 is more important than playing for a traditionally strong D2 program. :confused:

Personally, I'd rather play for SPU than almost every Big Sky team.

* Two other WOU guys not listed, who recently signed:

http://www.wouwolves.com/news/2018/7...-cranston.aspx
        Last edited by tsull; 07-25-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Comment

Agree, though Weber and Montana are at the top end. I covered Big Sky hoops as a reporter and there are some awful crowds in one-horse towns, programs led by bad coaches, worse assistants, and bad A.D.'s. Two schools, Idaho (whom I covered) and ISU, play in crappy football stadiums. ISU has fired every basketball coach since 1980, not one has moved up or resigned on his own. MSU is OK, plays in a field house, hasn't been to the NCAA since they fired Durham a long time ago. Northern Colo. sucks, Southern Utah has a nice gym in the middle of nowhere, not a great program. Sac State plays in a 1,300-seat gym and was on the fringe of not being able to host the Big Sky tourney because the gym was too small. They were trying to renovate their rec center, but in the end they didn't win the conference, of course, because they suck. Portland State is getting a new gym, upgrading their grade school type gym they have right now. EWU has had good coaching and players, they draw crap.

SPU's problem is yes, the lack of support. But again, I'd rather start there than clap for teammates at the end of a bench in some god-forsaken Big Sky boon town ... and I grew up in a small town and like small towns, but the BSC sucks. It was fine when BSU and Nevada were in it. They've been replaced by dogs.

Comment

Agreed that the BSC was much better with Boise State and Nevada-Reno, way back in the day. I also remember when Gonzaga used to play in the BSC back in the late 70's and they were usually no better than middle of the conference :)

Comment

Originally posted by lv2hoop View Post
                Agreed that the BSC was much better with Boise State and Nevada-Reno, way back in the day. I also remember when Gonzaga used to play in the BSC back in the late 70's and they were usually no better than middle of the conference :)
                I guess my overall point is if someone wants to go D-1 and start, go for it. But a lot of these Seattle/Portland preps will go to some Big Sky bottom feeder (with a smaller gym than WOU) and sit at the end of the bench and hand out towels, when perhaps they could play D2. I sat on a high school bench, and played more in other sports. I'd rather sit than be a glorified team manager. I'm not sure Tony Miller will start at Montana, maybe, but that's not a given.

Comment

I guess you guys are more optimistic about SPU than I am. They've had their moments under Leep, but I haven't really been convinced that they are going to stay in a league and West Region elite status. Here's my "way too early" predictions about how we'll start the season:

UAF - ?, but probably preseason coaches poll 9th, 10th, or 11th. Really no clue. They are getting a coaching change that is pretty much 180 degree change, keep a core of 8 or 9 guys and their new coach is getting an extremely late start at finding a few more guys, building a schedule, etc, etc... Uphill battle.

UAA - ?. What says Anchorage fans? They are lacking (I think) their characteristic preseason stars or DI drop downs. Does that mean they'll be better or worse? Depth looks to be lacking as usual, but with Rusty in charge, he always seems to get them to play very tough, despite what they lack.

CWU - ?. Probably pretty competitive?

Concordia - ? No where to go but up?

MSUB - better... Making GNAC tourney. Betting they will be better than they have been the last years?

NNU - continual slow improvement?

SMU - GNAC preseason favorites. End of the season favorites????

SPU - Middle of the pack? Preseason they will do well, but they may drop off in GNAC play, as per habit these last few years.

SFU - continual slow improvement?

WOU - Shaw does well league-wise every year, regardless. Think he will again. Finishing in top 3? Preseason rank might be lower given their losses to graduation, but betting they'll be near the top in late February.

WWU - ? Lost their best players, but have it pretty easy for recruiting. Don't think much will change, given it hasn't over several years. They will be good, but on a regional level, disappointing... Too harsh?

So many question marks is going to make for an interesting season!

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
                    I guess you guys are more optimistic about SPU than I am. They've had their moments under Leep, but I haven't really been convinced that they are going to stay in a league and West Region elite status. Here's my "way too early" predictions about how we'll start the season:

UAF - ?, but probably preseason coaches poll 9th, 10th, or 11th. Really no clue. They are getting a coaching change that is pretty much 180 degree change, keep a core of 8 or 9 guys and their new coach is getting an extremely late start at finding a few more guys, building a schedule, etc, etc... Uphill battle.

UAA - ?. What says Anchorage fans? They are lacking (I think) their characteristic preseason stars or DI drop downs. Does that mean they'll be better or worse? Depth looks to be lacking as usual, but with Rusty in charge, he always seems to get them to play very tough, despite what they lack.

CWU - ?. Probably pretty competitive?

Concordia - ? No where to go but up?

MSUB - better... Making GNAC tourney. Betting they will be better than they have been the last years?

NNU - continual slow improvement?

SMU - GNAC preseason favorites. End of the season favorites????

SPU - Middle of the pack? Preseason they will do well, but they may drop off in GNAC play, as per habit these last few years.

SFU - continual slow improvement?

WOU - Shaw does well league-wise every year, regardless. Think he will again. Finishing in top 3? Preseason rank might be lower given their losses to graduation, but betting they'll be near the top in late February.

WWU - ? Lost their best players, but have it pretty easy for recruiting. Don't think much will change, given it hasn't over several years. They will be good, but on a regional level, disappointing... Too harsh?

So many question marks is going to make for an interesting season!
                    Good report, fun off-season stuff to read. My pre-season pick is St. Martin's, many liked them a couple years ago and I wasn't sold then. I'm sold now. Luke Chavez is the man, he looked great at the regional tourney and my early pick for GNAC player of the year. St. Martin's won a game at regionals (not easy to do) and played WOU tough in the 2nd round for much of the game. Coach Alex Pribble is a good one, I think the Saints have enough pieces to win it. I haven't checked their recruiting, I'm guessing it was good after the season they had.

I have faith in the WOU program at this stage, but losing Omlid is huge, he's one of the best players in school history. They lost three other starters, too, it won't be easy no matter who they recruited. It appears the JC point guard and D-1 transfer post could be of immediate help. There's a zillion guys on the roster, so someone has to rise up and Shaw is great at putting all the pieces together. The lone returning starter, Hawken, is good, but IMO not a superstar ala Omlid, Avgi.

I think WWU's two transfer-outs killed what was potentially a league title team. It's hard to recover from that. I also think the loss of Miller is a killer at SPU; it appears UAA had a lot of defections, too. The only other team I know a fair amount about is NNU and they had a large recruiting class. Losing Jones hurts, but the point guard is back and he's excellent, as is the sophomore-to-be Roth. It appears they have a coach who wants to stick around, but you never know. They need to prove it to me and I'm not sold just yet.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X