Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOU's Roth out for the year

Bummer, Alex Roth, one of my favorite WOU players, is out for the year with an injury. I'm not sure they can get a redshirt year on him or not, he may have used one up at Oregon State. Great outside shooter/free throw shooter, whom I expected to be WOU's leading scorer or second leading scorer this year.

WOU release for Friday's opener vs. Point Loma:

http://www.wouwolves.com/news/2016/1...challenge.aspx

Re: WOU's Roth out for the year

Medical redshirts gain another year of eligibility.

CWU lost one as well, 6'8" junior forward Drake Rademacher. And as we all know, CWU is often undersized. So that is a blow for them. Thankfully CWU brought in 6'11" Fuquan Niles or else they really would've been in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
      Medical redshirts gain another year of eligibility.

CWU lost one as well, 6'8" junior forward Drake Rademacher. And as we all know, CWU is often undersized. So that is a blow for them. Thankfully CWU brought in 6'11" Fuquan Niles or else they really would've been in trouble.
      Roth was WOU's most dependable outside shooter, his shooting was huge in the GNAC championship game. WOU has a lot of players I don't know about, so it's critical someone steps up from the outside. Omlid is more of a slasher, Nestell is good pass-first point guard. Someone needs to shoot it and I think a few of the new guys can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
        Roth was WOU's most dependable outside shooter, his shooting was huge in the GNAC championship game.
        Don't remind me... It was "Roth for 3" and then, "Roth for another 3" and then... "Roth for one more 3"... And it was in the span of a few minutes. It'll be really interesting to see what WOU looks like this year. They are one of many "mystery" teams. I really like Omlid a lot though. I think he has as much potential as any of the other elite GNAC players to get POTY nod if his team ends up at the top. He's just a very complete, fundamental player who gets it done on many facets.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
          Don't remind me... It was "Roth for 3" and then, "Roth for another 3" and then... "Roth for one more 3"... And it was in the span of a few minutes. It'll be really interesting to see what WOU looks like this year. They are one of many "mystery" teams. I really like Omlid a lot though. I think he has as much potential as any of the other elite GNAC players to get POTY nod if his team ends up at the top. He's just a very complete, fundamental player who gets it done on many facets.
          Huge loss for the Wolves. I know some of the new transfers can shoot, but Roth was a proven, quality player at the D2 level. I hope he returns next year.

Omlid is a complete player, should be up for player of the year in the conference, gets a lot done all over the court. He'll be the go-to guy this year. Interesting Wolves team, lots of question marks, so many new guys. I guess we'll find out tonight on how they're progressing.

Comment

[QUOTE=CWU Wildcat Nation;1973243]Medical redshirts gain another year of eligibility.
            QUOTE]

Not sure you can get a sixth year of eligibility unless both redshirts were medical redshirts. At least in D1, I am pretty sure they do not allow both a medical and elective redshirt to extend eligibility to 6 years. They may grant a sixth year to a player with 2 medical redshirts. Illinois has two this year in that situation and I know they were concerned whether they would be granted, but they ultimately were. D2 may not be as strict, not sure.

If Roth wants to return for another year, I hope I am wrong and he gets the chance. Missing your senior year due to injury is tough - I know I missed my last year of football.

Comment

This would be Roth's junior year, not his senior year. He's a 2013 West Salem High graduate. His first year was spent at Oregon State as was his 2nd year. Last year he was at WOU. Technically he has two years left if he's on the 5 to play 4 plan. The tricky question is I believe he already used one redshirt year at OSU, so if he loses this year I think he comes in next year as a fifth-year senior.

* Correction: He should come in next year as EITHER a 5th year senior or if they get a medical redshirt, a 5th year junior.
              Last edited by tsull; 11-11-2016, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Good for him - thought this was to be his senior year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X