Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good regional games this weekend

Some excellent games this weekend between the 3 west coast leagues. UC San Diego vs. WWU on Saturday is intriguing. Is this UCSD's last year in D2?

http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/schedule/

First year in a while CWU isn't in the SPU tournament. Nice to CWU is hosing one of their own instead. That WWU game will be a good one. Also crazy how many games UAA is hosting, topped with Baylor vs UW. That is a huge game for that arena to be hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
      UC San Diego vs. WWU on Saturday is intriguing. Is this UCSD's last year in D2?
      Yes, it is. UCSD is moving to the Big West next summer along with Cal State-Bakersfield (WAC).

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
        Some excellent games this weekend between the 3 west coast leagues. UC San Diego vs. WWU on Saturday is intriguing. Is this UCSD's last year in D2?

http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/schedule/
        Real cool they're hosting a high level D-1 game and a number of D2 games. The Great Alaska Shootout was just awesome, I hope they bring it back some day. All these teams will get tired of playing on ships and high school gyms ... well, maybe not if they're in the Bahamas, but still the Shootout was great and I hope it comes back.

Comment

Trying to find all the relevant links for video and/or livestats for this weekend:

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/cwu/ : Central Washington hosts Concordia (OR), CSU-San Bernardino, and CSU-Monterey Bay

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/wwu/ : Western Washington hosting Simon Fraser, UCSD, and CSU-Dominguez Hills

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPUsports : Seattle Pacific hosting Azusa Pacific, Cal Poly Pomona, and Chico State

http://ccaanetwork.com/csula/ : CSU-Los Angeles hosting CSU-San Marcos, Concordia (CA), and Biola

http://portal.stretchinternet.com/plnu/ : Point Loma hosting Fresno Pacific, Humboldt State, and MSU-Billings

I know there are more, but I'm getting tired of getting timed out every two minutes trying to find all the links.

Comment

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/gnac/

Comment

Head-to-head through day 1 on the men's side: CCAA (7-5), GNAC (3-3), PacWest (3-5)

On the women's side: CCAA (5-3), PacWest (4-3), GNAC (2-5)

Comment

Thanks for posting the tournament groups and overall results so far Stump. The things that go down for the teams who are playing region games will hold a lot of weight come selection time in the spring. Surprised to see SPU go down in convincing fashion against Chico at home... Although it's not too far from normal to see SPU start a little rough against very good teams and come out playing well in March. Are the big dogs of the Pac West and CCAA still the predicted big dogs this year? If so, that seems like the tournament holding the most impact for the region.

Meanwhile in Fairbanks, I'll be wondering about UAFs opener in Anchorage, because it won't be streamed online. UAA is hosting 5 games today (4 basketball, 2 women, 2 mens) and their home volleyball match, so unfortunately for the Nooks their opening game against Chaminade will be played within the great palace of an arena in UAA, but only on the warm-up court... Why on earth didn't UAF and UAA collaborate and decide, jeez, maybe UAF could open at home on Saturday and give just a crumb of non-con play to their loyal fans? We don't play a single non-con, preseason game at home this year, yet we'll play 4 games in preseason at UAA. In 2015, UAF, UAA, Chaminade, & HPU entered a 4 year agreement to play in preseason at each of the schools. It started in Fairbanks in Nov, 2015 and it was so awesome to see all those games here. I realize they don't have the same agreement since this would be the 5th year, but I just get really tired of everything taking place in Anchorage. And so..., now I'm done ranting!

Comment

The Alaska Hawaii challenge alternates between Hawaii and Alaska, this was actually supposed to be a Hawaii year. However when ESPN approached UAA about hosting last nights Armed Forces Classic, with the publicity for the program and revenue raised for JBER causes, the Hawaii schools graciously agreed to swap years. It would be impossible for UAA to play Friday in Anchorage and Saturday/Sunday in Hawaii obviously. But it also created a massive log jam in the schedule this weekend here in town. There were 11 collegiate teams in town last night, I heard it was quite a scramble to accommodate them all. And yes I would agree that UAF sort of got pushed to the side with all the events going on, a 2 pm game in the Alaska Air Centers Auxiliary gym. Yikes but if it makes you feel any better the Volleyball team had to play a game in there Thursday night too while they were setting up ESPNs special floor for Friday. As far as moving the UAF game up to Fairbanks, probably needed the buy in of the Hawaii team to go up to Fairbanks and then back down to play UAA the next night. Going to say Chaminade would have had some concerns with that. UAA already playing their 3rd game in 3 nights, probably would have been ok with Chaminade doing that.
                  Last edited by Anchorage; 11-09-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Okay, well at least tell me what the score to the UAF/Chaminade game was or get someone at the score table to upload into the GNAC site.

I will correct you on the Alaska Hawaii challenge though. In 15 it started in Fairbanks, 16 was Hawaii, 17 was Anchorage, 18 was Hawaii (both AK schools were in Hawaii last November), so it was not a Hawaii year this time; it should have been Fairbanks if they were keeping that tradition alive. And given UAA's challenge of so much going on this weekend, it would have been better to have it in Fairbanks.

Post the score before it goes up on the GNAC site and I'll stop being so grumpy.

Comment

Comment

The score of the game man! Maybe they agreed to two straight years in Hawaii so they could really bankrupt the Alaska teams in having to buy tickets and get all the way out there... It sure doesn't look good to the Alaska community when they see their universities falling apart from cuts and the basketball teams are basking on a Hawaiin beach...

Comment

On the men's side, Azusa and Pomona were both picked 2nd in their leagues, so that's a decent feather in the Cougars' cap. They follow up with a 97-91 OT win over Chico today. The Wildcats are projected to finish 6th in the CCAA, but still two good neutral site wins for APU to start.

I spent the last two days handling public address for the APU (PacWest #1)/Cal Poly (CCAA#2)/Point Loma (PacWest#3)/CSUSB (CCAA#11) women's quartet. The Cougar women look loaded for bear this season, going nine deep and playing great defense in a pair of large wins over the CCAA schools. And they don't even have their starting small forward back from injury yet! Pomona jumped out to a huge lead over Point Loma before coasting to a 10-point win, but they lost one of their big scoring forwards in the 4th quarter. Point Loma and San Bernardino went into OT today before the Sea Lions pulled it out in the extra session, 86-81. It was the only close game of the four.

Comment

Last edited by Anchorage; 11-09-2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Head-to-head (-to-head) through day 2:

Men: CCAA (9-4 day 2, 16-9 overall); PacWest (5-6, 8-11); GNAC (2-6, 5-9)

Women: CCAA (3-7 day 2, 8-10 overall); PacWest (6-4, 10-7), GNAC (5-3, 7-8)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X