Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am watching my DVR of the UAA/Coast Guard game. Interesting that Coast Guard academy can't have any cadets over 6'6" but the basketball team gets a 2 inch waiver. Still, this Coast Guard team had no one over 6'5"

Comment

Not a great opening weekend for the GNAC, indeed. Those results via Stump say it all. UAA is at half-time with Chaminade and down by 20+. Well, when Jasinsky of WWU is picked for preseason POTY, that sort of summarizes the GNAC for me right now. Jasinsky had teammates who were better than him (who subsequently left the GNAC and WWU) in past years, so when that's what we have (not to say he's not good, but if he's representing our cream of the crop, well...), I'm not surprised. That SPU could not squeak out a win at home against some of the bigger dogs of the PW and CCAA is not good.

Comment

I kind of suspected the GNAC would be down a little bit this year. Lots of coaching changes and player departures it seemed leaving quite a few programs in transition.

Watched the first half of that Chaminade game, it was kind of predictable. A jump shooting team playing their 3rd game in three nights not having any legs. Too many long rebounds, turnovers and slow transition D snowballing into easy points for Chaminade. It was a recipe for disaster for UAA. The Swords do look very tough though, teams better be ready to play them.

Crazy shot for UAF to win the Hawaii Pacific game today. They have to be excited to get that one especially after blowing the big lead.
        Last edited by Anchorage; 11-11-2019, 12:47 AM.

Comment

That was a great shot from Fairbanks to win. Caught that one live yesterday.

Head-to-head standings for the entire weekend by conference:

Men:
          CCAA 16-9
          PacWest 9-12
          GNAC 6-10

Women: (nowhere near as much separation here)
          PacWest 11-9
          GNAC 9-8
          CCAA 9-12

Comment

I missed the half court shot by the Nooks... That's great, but if it's a repeat of last year when they were so stoked to beat UAA at home in a nail bitting, free-throw shooting craziness, then they couldn't squeak any more wins out the rest of the year.

Now that SPU has lost to Stanislaus at home and WWU is down about 20 with just over 10 to go in the 2nd half to CPP, the real question is: HOW BAD IS THE GNAC? The two teams predicted to be at the top of the GNAC have found nary a win except for Dominguez Hills in a tight one for WWU. Perhaps the crown of the GNAC lies somewhere else? WOU, CWU???

Who knows. Looks like the women faired better over the weekend.

Comment

The CCAA men are continuing to pull away as we factor in the mid-week games. Through Tuesday:

Men's in-region record:
              CCAA: 20-10
              PacWest: 10-13
              GNAC: 6-13

Women's in-region record:
              PacWest: 12-11
              GNAC: 9-9
              CCAA: 11-12

Comment

Factoring in the few mid-week games, here's where we stand with the last major round of non-conference play occurring this weekend:

Men's in-region record:
                CCAA: 21-10
                PacWest: 10-14
                GNAC: 6-13

Women's in-region record:
                PacWest: 14-12
                CCAA: 12-13
                GNAC: 9-10

I'll be working at APU, where the Cougar women are hosting UC San Diego, Seattle Pacific, and Western Washington.

Potentially the best set of men's games is in Irvine, where the top two teams in the PacWest (Concordia and Azusa) play the top two teams from the GNAC (Western Washington and Seattle Pacific). Concordia streams their games for free, so feel free to check it out this afternoon: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/cui/

Comment

Another interesting weekend of games this last week.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X