• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchorage
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    I'm very excited about the off-season for the Wolves. They signed two 6-7 JC guys who look like they're very athletic on film: Cameron Benzel of Umpqau (Oregon) and Eilhu Cobb of College of the Sequoias (California). They are still on a 6-4 shooting guard from San Diego, whose prep film blew me away with his very deep shooting range and great hops Then again, most HUDL tapes are great, but he looked really good. I hope they get him.

I'm equally as pleased with 3 guys they redshirted. One was Etan Collins, a good power forward who started as a true frosh in 2018-19, not sure why he redshirted last year, I just know he's good and hope he comes back. Drew Rippingham (Lassen and Umpqua) is a fine sharp-shooting JC guard, who redshirted; and R.J. Velez had a nice prep career in Woodburn (Oregon) and redshirted as a frosh last year, he's a point guard.

On the down note, very disappointed Emanuel Gant transferred out, as noted here a couple times. He brought a lot to the team, but it's time to move on. Wolves now seem to have depth at most positions.

Leave a comment:

• Anchorage
    replied
    Last edited by Anchorage; 05-28-2020, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Interesting story, I thought Gant was a guy who would start next year at WOU. That said, I do know he was recruited and signed by the previous coach and then signed again by the new coach, Wes Pifer. I've heard Pifer stands for the right things: academics, citizenship, etc. (not that the previous coach did not), so I'm wondering if grades came into play with Gant ... I don't know. I think he'll be UT-Tyler's best player or close to their best player next year. WOU stuck by him for a very long time when it appeared he was going to slip through the cracks, so I was hoping he'd in turn honor the school. Then again, I don't know exactly what happened. Luckily WOU signed two very good JC forwards for next year.

Leave a comment:

• Anchorage
    replied
    Originally posted by tsull View Post
    WOU's Emanuel Gant to UT Tyler ... hey, he flipped the script: Leaving a 19-8 (13-7 in league) team to join an 8-19 (5-17) team ... guess he can be "the man" there, at least he better hope so, they're not good.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    WOU's Emanuel Gant to UT Tyler ... hey, he flipped the script: Leaving a 19-8 (13-7 in league) team to join an 8-19 (5-17) team ... guess he can be "the man" there, at least he better hope so, they're not good.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    CWU picks up Eastern Arizona forward from Davis HS in Yakima, Collin Kelley. Was 2 time CBBN conference Defensive POY in high school. https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/..._medium=social
    Nice pick up, the Arizona JC league is a good one, NNU's three best players the last two years came from that conference.

Leave a comment:

• CWU Wildcat Nation
    replied
    CWU picks up Eastern Arizona forward from Davis HS in Yakima, Collin Kelley. Was 2 time CBBN conference Defensive POY in high school. https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/..._medium=social

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post

Oooh. That is a major bummer. That kid was fun to watch. I thought if he could pick up where he left off he'd be in good position to be a major impact player next year and 1st team all-conference....
    I don't get it, WOU waited more than a year to get him, signing him twice. He missed part of the season this year, maybe trying to get eligible, I don't know. WOU stuck by him for a long time and he bails? Verbal commits said he was transferring, not quitting basketball. Before I get too judgmental, I don't know what happened, whether it was a mutual decision with the coaching staff or not. I also realize there are not a ton of WOU fans and most don't know about this, and before the internet no one would no about it until the season started. It just seems odd all the way around. I believe at this stage NAIA with their flexible eligibility requirements, might be his only option. The whole thing seems weird ... oh well, college is a trying time for young kids. I hope he does well wherever he lands. I liked his hustle and talent.

Leave a comment:

• northernGNAChoopfan
    replied
    Originally posted by tsull View Post
    Emanuel Gant, a good 6-6 forward for WOU, is transferring out. Bummer, I really liked his game, tough rebounder, good passer and scorer. Had high hopes for him. His journey was interesting to come to WOU, Jim Shaw signed him out of an Arizona JC (where he was also a standout QB and also the all-time passing leader in Arizona high school football); he didn't make it into WOU, the Wolves stuck with him. Shaw re-signed him, new coach Pifer stuck with him.

I don't know the details of his departure, seemed like a good guy, hope he finds his niche somewhere. As a fan, I'm going to miss his game.
    Oooh. That is a major bummer. That kid was fun to watch. I thought if he could pick up where he left off he'd be in good position to be a major impact player next year and 1st team all-conference....

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Emanuel Gant, a good 6-6 forward for WOU, is transferring out. Bummer, I really liked his game, tough rebounder, good passer and scorer. Had high hopes for him. His journey was interesting to come to WOU, Jim Shaw signed him out of an Arizona JC (where he was also a standout QB and also the all-time passing leader in Arizona high school football); he didn't make it into WOU, the Wolves stuck with him. Shaw re-signed him, new coach Pifer stuck with him.

I don't know the details of his departure, seemed like a good guy, hope he finds his niche somewhere. As a fan, I'm going to miss his game.

Leave a comment:

• CWU Wildcat Nation
    replied
    CWU just signed 6'6" forward Jalai O'Keith from Foothills Christian in El Cajon, CA

Also commit from 6'8" forward Gaige Ainslie from Central Catholic in Portland

Leave a comment:

• CWU Wildcat Nation
    replied
    Rinta sure is going for the trophy fish in recruiting at CWU. He just offered 6'10" San Bernardino Valley College's Cameron Butler, who has 3 D1 offers (though one is to Chicago State so not sure if that counts lol). Would be a miracle to reel this guy in, but check out his highlights! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BySU...ature=youtu.be

And Myles Washington the former USC Aiken guy from North Carolina has literally a dozen D2 offers from mainly east coast programs, so pretty unlikely to get him either.

CWU did just get a commit from Central Catholic, Oregon 6'8" Gaige Ainslie.

I made a Facebook Note listing CWU's recruits and recruiting targets: https://www.facebook.com/notes/cwu-c...9908472456621/

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    WOU had a remarkable 10-game win streak over SPU broken this past year. Frankly, a 5-game streak would've been nice, 10 was gravy. It's a great program in Seattle, probably not appreciated by the locals that much. The games don't draw that well, they have a solid gym, cheap ticket prices and a great product. Even during that streak SPU took it to OT or double OT a few times and I thought WOU had superior talent. SPU knows how to play, they're ballers and winners.

Leave a comment:

• The Voice of Reason
    replied
    As a fairly infrequent visitor to this board, I agree that the SPU model seems to be working well. Also noticed that they just announced their 3 signings on twitter and again have found impactful 4 year players. 6'9" Kelton Samore was a 3 star recruit out of HS and is apparently enrolled at SPU after leaving his last school, he has 4 years to play. They signed a PG from Eastside Catholic, a traditional power in Seattle, and another guard from Oregon. They seem to have reloaded again and should be good for a long time.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X