Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former UAF guard Daniel Hornebuckle has signed with Western Washington.

Comment

https://wwuvikings.com/news/2020/6/4...ing-class.aspx

Daniel Hornbuckle a Fairbanks kid is heading to WWU as a Junior, with 2 seasons of eligibility after a tough start in Fairbanks as a true freshman. He was signed here by Durham out of HS, where he recorded over 2000 points in his 4 years. I think there was a lot of pressure on both coach and athlete that didn't work out well. He got a little time as a freshman under Durham, but no time under Sparling the next year and he disappeared after the holidays, looks like he used a redshirt year and resurfaced last winter at Portland CC where he exceled. Now he's off to WWU. He's good in the wide open and extremely explosive with big hops, although he was tiny out of HS. I don't think he was a great fit for Durham's system that was too controlled and slow for Daniel. WWU will be a better style of play for him, I think. I hope he gets some floor time and does well. I think he had big expectations out of HS and there was a lot of pressure playing at home and perhaps his high expectations did not match with what Durham or Sparling were wanting from him. Sounds like a year at CC was beneficial for him. It will be exciting when WWU comes to town next year. I think a lot of his struggles out of HS were just being signed by Durham, not fitting well in that system and then being a part of a very, very rocky first year for Sparling, so perhaps a lot of the trouble was just the timing.

He was the same high school class at West Valley as Ruthy Hebard, who ended up being an all-american forward for the Oregon Ducks and just graduated this spring. I think everyone thought Daniel and Ruthy would do great leaving West Valley and Ruthy probably did way better than most thought she would do, while Daniel really struggled. I do think he assumed too much about his abilities right out of high school, but perhaps the hard times have been a good learning experience about how he got to the point of earning his time in Portland and finally finding the playing time to start scoring like he did in high school.

Comment

Looks at Western just got their next star juco transfer guard in Shoreline CC's Anjaylo "Jello" Lloyd, who averaged 26.4 ppg last season and was named NWAC North MVP https://wwuvikings.com/news/2020/6/5...ellingham.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
          Looks at Western just got their next star juco transfer guard in Shoreline CC's Anjaylo "Jello" Lloyd, who averaged 26.4 ppg last season and was named NWAC North MVP https://wwuvikings.com/news/2020/6/5...ellingham.aspx
          I hate to admit it, but WWU had a good recruiting season.

Comment

The Skagit Valley College to Alaska-Fairbanks pipeline begins. Remember When Sparling was at CWU (with GE Coleman as his assistant), he got a lot of his players from Coach Howell of Tacoma CC, including Dom Williams, Mark McLaughlin, and Kevin Davis. Now Sparling is at UAF while Howell is at Skagit Valley, with BOTH McLaughlin and Coleman now as his assistants.

Skagit Valley College forward Willie Thomas signed with UAF. 15.8 ppg and 6.7 rpg last season.

Comment

The Skagit Valley College to Alaska-Fairbanks pipeline begins. Remember When Sparling was at CWU (with GE Coleman as his assistant), he got a lot of his players from Coach Howell of Tacoma CC, including Dom Williams, Mark McLaughlin, and Kevin Davis. Now Sparling is at UAF while Howell is at Skagit Valley, with BOTH McLaughlin and Coleman now as his assistants.

Skagit Valley College forward Willie Thomas signed with UAF. 15.8 ppg and 6.7 rpg last season.
              Great info, Howell is a great coach, has been around the NWAACC ranks for awhile, quite successfully. A lot of quality D2 players in the Northwest JC ranks; not a ton of big time D-1 guys, but plenty of very talented guys who can help at D2. Luke Chavez, tons of CWU guys, etc., out there.

Comment

Comment

Western Oregon just picked up a guard from Los Angeles, looks good.. I was hoping for the big guard from San Diego as his HUDL tape was pretty nice, maybe they will get him, too. I did like the latest guy a lot, however.

Comment

WOU just picked up the 6-3 San Diego guard that I really liked ... or at least I really liked his highlight video. Nice recruiting year, IMO, two 6-7 JC's, two quality prep guards.

Comment

WOU coming on late with some nice signings.

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorage View Post
                        WOU coming on late with some nice signings.
                        Yes, very pleased with the recruiting class and the job coach Pifer has done at WOU in his short time there.

Comment

NNU gets James Nelson back, a fine 6-6 forward, who will be a soph. He transfered out of NNU after what I thought was an excellent freshman season, went to Dixie. I never understood that move as I saw him as a future star for the Nighthawks. Well, he's back now. A nice guy to get on the bounce-back for NNU:

https://nnusports.com/news/2020/7/16...es-nelson.aspx

Comment

WOU picks up two quality JC guards this week from Lawson (Alabama) and Santa Monica (Calif.), both fine shooters and scorers. They lost some really good perimeter depth this past year so I'm glad the Wolves appear to have replaced the graduated and departed.

Comment

Fairbanks is adding a grad transfer from UW in Quin Barnard https://twitter.com/QBarnard1/status...70648010448898

He prepped at O'Dea before walking on at Montlake. Played in 21 games over 3 seasons, sitting out his sophomore year.

https://gohuskies.com/sports/mens-ba...n-barnard/9780

Comment

SPU picks up one of Cocch Carl Howell's products in Skagit Valley College PG Marquan Williams https://twitter.com/skagit_valley/st...30501730574337

Averaged 14.7 ppg and 4.8 apg in 26.4 mpg last season. Provides much needed experience on a young (but talented) SPU roster (3 seniors, 2 juniors, 5 sophomores, 5 freshmen)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X