Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPU impressive

Falcons come into Monmouth and win in overtime, shoot over 50% from 3 and the field. They have some players and Leap is an excellent coach. The Wolves are a suspect defensive team. They play tough d against weak opponents, don't bring it against the big boys, or maybe it's that the big boys can hit those shots and the lower teams can't. Disappointed that a team can come in and hit over 50% from 3, really? Like the WOU players, a little too much selfishness and a lot of plays and again, the defense needs to be amped up if they want to compete. SPU, meanwhile, is very good.

* Broadcast was frustrating, constant buffering and in the middle of action a WOU commercial would come on. Huh? Fix that.

Saw the end of regulation and OT after I got home from watching the Nooks. That Anderson kid is a true freshman; man, he's going to be a force for SPU (that is, if they can keep him at home at SPU/D2). So physically mature and skilled for a freshman. Very impressive. I think SPU just really recruits smart kids that they know can buy into the plan which isn't flashy and very fundamental with relentless defense, so when they do get a good group there it becomes exceedingly hard for the rest of the GNAC to keep up with them given most of the rest of the conference have different mantras or are forced to kind of take what they can get. I had wondered how Leap would do following in Looney's footsteps and it has taken him a few years, but they appear to be back in force. Great game. Remember, it's early season and WOU is with a new coach (remember how much complaining I did last year with a new coach). They are fully capable of making the GNAC tourney and have enough talent to bid for going far. I'm sure the last week of play they are going to tear into the Nooks and Seawolves for revenge, that I dread ending on that note!

As for things in Fairbanks. Well, it seems clear that the Nooks need to work on finishing things as they led the Vikings for 75% of the game and they had Tony throwing his clipboard all over and kicking chairs, just like the good old days, but then, similarly to Thursday night when they let SFU creep back in and make it more of a nail biter than need be, they seemingly ran out of gas or answers to anything with about 6 mins to go. I'd like to see them try to finish those tight games without relying on Shabazz 100% because they really do have a pretty good team feel and I think it might be harder for other teams if they knew Shabazz would probably take the shots, but that he would dish more as defenses collapse on him to other guys who have proved worthy of shooting. Strange ending to an otherwise intense and well fought game.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
      Saw the end of regulation and OT after I got home from watching the Nooks. That Anderson kid is a true freshman; man, he's going to be a force for SPU (that is, if they can keep him at home at SPU/D2). So physically mature and skilled for a freshman. Very impressive. I think SPU just really recruits smart kids that they know can buy into the plan which isn't flashy and very fundamental with relentless defense, so when they do get a good group there it becomes exceedingly hard for the rest of the GNAC to keep up with them given most of the rest of the conference have different mantras or are forced to kind of take what they can get. I had wondered how Leap would do following in Looney's footsteps and it has taken him a few years, but they appear to be back in force. Great game. Remember, it's early season and WOU is with a new coach (remember how much complaining I did last year with a new coach). They are fully capable of making the GNAC tourney and have enough talent to bid for going far. I'm sure the last week of play they are going to tear into the Nooks and Seawolves for revenge, that I dread ending on that note!
      Agree with this, SPU and Leap are in the groove right now. It takes some time for a new coach to find that, I should be patient. WOU at one time had a rare 10-game win streak over SPU, mostly Shaw teams and I think one Bergeson team. That was WOU's sweet spot in hoops and maybe Pifer can rekindle that. SPU just looks super tough right now, and the new recruit Anderson is uber impressive. I noticed he was 3A player of the year in Washington, which is a great honor. He put up some big prep numbers.

It was fun beating SPU when Looney was there. I think he's a great coach, but man he would get tweaked. I remember the post-game video on YouTube when he'd lost to WOU in OT, I thought Chrome Dome was going to go ballistic on the interviewer, but he held back. I think SPU is now the team to beat, despite that for some reason coaches and media have a man crush on WWU every year in pre-season polls and predictions.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X