Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big PacWest matchup next week

Saturday was a pretty big day as the four southern California schools squared off. Azusa Pacific hit 14 three-pointers in a 90-79 road win over Biola. Selom Mawugbe led the way with 19 points, 13 rebounds, and 5 blocks (he now has 63 on the season, which is 2nd in the nation). Meanwhile, further south in Irvine, Point Loma and Concordia were close all night, with the Sea Lions pulling out a hard-fought win on the road, 73-69. Jordan May led Point Loma with 17 points, but the big key for them was Ben Okhotin, who had more points off the bench by himself (12) than Concordia's entire team (8).

With that, the stage is set for the rematch between Azusa Pacific (16-3, 11-2) and Point Loma (17-3, 13-1) Wednesday night in San Diego. Azusa Pacific won their first meeting at home just before Christmas, 79-62. Neither team has lost a game since (Cougars have won 11 straight, Sea Lions 9 in a row).

APU-Point Loma game going to overtime tied at 63-63 after the refs rule a Sea Lions' tip-in was after the buzzer.

Comment

Cougars take control in the OT, then make their free throws down the stretch, 78-71. Azusa Pacific is now 17-3, 12-2 in conference play, and more importantly, have the season sweep of Point Loma (17-4, 13-2). Selom Mawugbe finished with 24 points and 11 rebounds, including the game-tying layup with 15 seconds left in regulation.

Comment

Wow, tremendous game ... regionals looking like 4 PacWest, 4 CCAA, 2 GNAC, unfortunately. GNAC has a lot of good teams, not sure there's a great team in the mix, maybe SPU ... maybe. They do have a potential 1st or 2nd team All-American in Shabazz, however.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
          Wow, tremendous game ... regionals looking like 4 PacWest, 4 CCAA, 2 GNAC, unfortunately. GNAC has a lot of good teams, not sure there's a great team in the mix, maybe SPU ... maybe. They do have a potential 1st or 2nd team All-American in Shabazz, however.
          Right now, I'd say the GNAC is looking at one team in the regionals, but there is ALWAYS the potential for upsets in the conference tournaments that could change that, plus there are a lot of games still to play out... Here's the latest D2SIDA Wester region poll (scroll down the page to look for the picture with the chart in a tweet about halfway down the page. I couldn't find anything about it on SPUs news page... https://wwuvikings.com/news/2020/2/5...a-schools.aspx I feel like the CCAA is the top conference based on preseason game results, but PacWest have some great teams too. The GNAC is definitely in a rebuilding year. Too much inconsistency for many regional rankings (my thoughts).

Comment

Looking at my proxy regional rankings, the tiers seem to currently be as follows:

1. UC San Diego
            2. Azusa Pacific
            3-7. Point Loma Nazarene, Seattle Pacific, Cal Poly Pomona, Cal State San Bernardino, Chico State
            8-12. Concordia (CA), Western Oregon, Stanislaus State, Chaminade, Western Washington

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X