Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concordia to close

Wow, didn't expect this, though private schools across the country are dropping like flies. It's too darn expensive. Sad to see, however:

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...40154528.html?

I wonder if we won't have more closings like this. State schools get bailed out when they have terrible management, but private ones have a much tougher time.

Comment

If the Alaska schools end up dropping sports, the GNAC's desperate need for members could extend beyond football.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
        If the Alaska schools end up dropping sports, the GNAC's desperate need for members could extend beyond football.
        I haven't heard anything about the situation there lately. Have they made a deal with the legislature yet?

Comment

Comment

Good news! I am wondering what is going to happen to the hockey programs when the WCHA dissolves.

Comment

This really sucks for the school, students, and alumni. This also drops the GNAC to 5 teams each in baseball and men's and women's golf causing them to lose AQ status in those sports. Hope the conference can work a little magic and get schools with these sports and of course football. I'm looking at SOU, EOU, CofI, and CC.

Comment

What about Lewis and Clark State? They have a very successful NAIA D1 basketball program as well as offer baseball and golf. Seems like they could hit the ground running and compete right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorage View Post
                  What about Lewis and Clark State? They have a very successful NAIA D1 basketball program as well as offer baseball and golf. Seems like they could hit the ground running and compete right away.
                  They don't have football.

Comment

I would characterize the problems in Alaska a little differently. I do agree that both schools have support for athletics within their individual campuses. The university is still in the position of taking huge (but not surprising) cuts every year for the next several in a row and the morale on campus (at least in Fairbanks) is low. I would characterize the cuts to the university that stand right now as a slow hemorrhage rather than the rapid bleed that was announced this summer, then amended after a lot of damage was already done. Without a change in philosophy of how the state manages its budget, the university is in trouble for the long term. In the short term, things appear okay, but really, a lot of damage was done last summer that does not undue itself by signing a deal that says the university can have 3 years to take the cut rather than one year; it just slows down the hemorrhage. I'm not sure what will go down in Juneau this year, but I would hope that the governor learned his lesson and that we can rid ourselves of his leadership sooner than later.

I have no idea what's going to happen with hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorage View Post
                      LCSC has no intention of going D2. The biggest obstacle is for the last 30 or so years -- with the exception of one year -- they've hosted the NAIA World Series for baseball. It's a huge community event and it draws really well, much better than any other venue the NAIA has tried to put it in. Lewiston is in a deep valley and the weather is great for the series, lots of teams arrive putting lots of money into the community. That alone is worth more than anything they could get from D2 affilliation.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post

I would characterize the problems in Alaska a little differently. I do agree that both schools have support for athletics within their individual campuses. The university is still in the position of taking huge (but not surprising) cuts every year for the next several in a row and the morale on campus (at least in Fairbanks) is low. I would characterize the cuts to the university that stand right now as a slow hemorrhage rather than the rapid bleed that was announced this summer, then amended after a lot of damage was already done. Without a change in philosophy of how the state manages its budget, the university is in trouble for the long term. In the short term, things appear okay, but really, a lot of damage was done last summer that does not undue itself by signing a deal that says the university can have 3 years to take the cut rather than one year; it just slows down the hemorrhage. I'm not sure what will go down in Juneau this year, but I would hope that the governor learned his lesson and that we can rid ourselves of his leadership sooner than later.

I have no idea what's going to happen with hockey...
                        Last edited by Anchorage; 02-11-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

LCSC has no intention of going D2. The biggest obstacle is for the last 30 or so years -- with the exception of one year -- they've hosted the NAIA World Series for baseball. It's a huge community event and it draws really well, much better than any other venue the NAIA has tried to put it in. Lewiston is in a deep valley and the weather is great for the series, lots of teams arrive putting lots of money into the community. That alone is worth more than anything they could get from D2 affilliation.
                          They started to move up in the late 90s and actually joined the PacWest in 1998 alongside WOU, WWU, CWU, and SMU. Do you happen to know what caused them to abort the move?

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

They started to move up in the late 90s and actually joined the PacWest in 1998 alongside WOU, WWU, CWU, and SMU. Do you happen to know what caused them to abort the move?
                            I'm from that area (30 miles north of LCSC) and never heard about that potential move, but I was living out of the area then so maybe I didn't see it. I'm guessing they were pleased with hosting the NAIA baseball tournament and winning rather well in NAIA basketball, both men's and women's.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                              I wonder if we won't have more closings like this. State schools get bailed out when they have terrible management, but private ones have a much tougher time.
                              Yes. It's already happening, and it's very well documented. There are more extensive lists, but I found this one that tracks closures from 2016 onward:

https://www.educationdive.com/news/tracker-college-and-university-closings-and-consolidation/539961/

I
                              t's really a perfect storm for higher education. So many factors are involved. First of all, there are way, way too many colleges in the US. The cost of tuition, books, fees, and cost-of-attendance is skyrocketing. The value of a Bachelor's Degree is diminishing quickly. Combine that with factors like online programs, free information on the internet, declining birth rates, and an over-saturation of college graduates from generations past leaving large employment gaps in trade industries - it's no wonder why schools are shutting down.

Personally, I think higher education needs to go through an extensive reformation from the ground up in order to fix the problem. However, I think there are far too many smart people involved and that typically means no real change will happen. Realistically, the only "safe" institutions are the massive public and private universities, and the higher producing community colleges. Everyone else is fair game. It will be really interesting to see the landscape of higher ed in the next 20+ years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X