Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC Decision Day in SPU House of Horror

The GNAC standings can potentially end in a 3 way tie for 5th and 6th place. Top 6 teams make the postseason. But after I reviewed all EIGHT tiebreaker scenarios, a CWU win today at SPU will send them and UAA to the tournament. A loss will send both Alaskan teams.

But a win for CWU will not be easy. They have not won a road game at SPU in NINE years since 2010-11. That was the year before I went to CWU. So I have NEVER seen CWU beat SPU on the road. Can CWU upset the #1 team in the league to stay alive?
    http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/standings/
    http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/mbbtiebreaker/

Good to know. In the PacWest, the game that will decide the last team in is the earliest of the day: all Academy of Art has to do is beat NDNU on the road. If they can't beat a 4-23 team, then the door is open for UH-Hilo, who is at Hawaii Pacific. APU at Concordia will decide whether Concordia or Chaminade gets the 3 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
      The GNAC standings can potentially end in a 3 way tie for 5th and 6th place. Top 6 teams make the postseason. But after I reviewed all EIGHT tiebreaker scenarios, a CWU win today at SPU will send them and UAA to the tournament. A loss will send both Alaskan teams.

But a win for CWU will not be easy. They have not won a road game at SPU in NINE years since 2010-11. That was the year before I went to CWU. So I have NEVER seen CWU beat SPU on the road. Can CWU upset the #1 team in the league to stay alive?
      http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/standings/
      http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/mbbtiebreaker/
      I think you have it exactly right CWU Wildcat Nation. After last Saturday's games when I looked at UAF and CWU standings for a long time, the conclusion I came up with was that the only thing that mattered was whether CWU beat SPU. The Fairbanks newspaper and even the UAF website got it wrong though... Here's a cut and paste of the first part of the newspaper article and below that an attachment to the UAF article. I was pesty and sent a "correction" to Laura Stickells =)...

If CWU beats SPU, the ABSOLUTELY deserve to go to the tournament more than the Nooks do though and I would gladly root them on if that happened.

* Last thought. Is anybody else wondering about what effect Covid-19 may have on conference and regional tournaments yet? Starting to wonder based on what happens in the next day or two what the GNAC thinks about even having the tournament in Seattle or at all? It's probably too early to say yet, but perhaps in the next days things will become more clear about what the risks of bringing people together in large crowds is in a city where the virus appears to be starting to make the rounds in.

Nanooks playoff hopes slip

By Laura Stickells

[email protected]https://alaskananooks.com/news/2020/...rn-oregon.aspx

Comment

First upset of the day in the GNAC as Anchorage loses to #11 Concordia in Concordia's last game ever. Way to go Concordia! Sweep the Alaska schools on your way out! Don't think this changes much other than Anchorage can't finish higher than 5th in the standings now...

Comment

Looks like Central and UAF both lost close ones so UAF will get the nod for the tourney... UAF played a decent game with WOU, just the same story in that WOU has a few more pieces than the Nooks do.

Comment

Looks like GNAC tourney seedings are almost decided. If NNU wins later tonight it'll be SPU, WWU, NNU, WOU, UAA, UAF and if NNU loses it will be SPU, WWU, WOU, NNU, UAA, UAF

Comment

Karma. Sparling is in, CWU is out. Let the critics bash. CWU kept it tight with SPU but that Falcons defense is lethal.

Good for the Cavs to go out with a nice win.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
                Looks like Central and UAF both lost close ones so UAF will get the nod for the tourney... UAF played a decent game with WOU, just the same story in that WOU has a few more pieces than the Nooks do.
                Tough win for the Wolves, UAF is good and has a superstar. Playing them again on Thursday will be no picnic.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Tough win for the Wolves, UAF is good and has a superstar. Playing them again on Thursday will be no picnic.
                  I think the Nooks are fortunate that NNU lost last night... They match up far better with WOU than they do with NNU. It's hard to play the same team twice, but both teams will have some rest and it will be on a neutral floor. UAF really needs everything to go well for them, where WOU has enough talent that they can do a few things wrong and still get by the Nooks. I thought the Nooks played well yesterday, they just couldn't get their three pointers to fall. It seems like a lot of their losses this season can be (statistically) attributed to their lack of talent at the three point line or the other teams ability to shoot it well from three.

One interesting thing in the GNAC tourney is that 4/6 teams are coming off of losses going into the tourney and 3/6 are coming off two losses in a row this week. WOU and SPU are the only teams coming in with wins this week.

Oh, also, Tsull. The video feed and announcers for WOU last night are the best in the league. They even knew what was going on with UAF needing SPU to beat CWU to get into the tournament so they kept viewers updated on the score of that game. I would agree with the announcers too, that the technicals that were given out to Gant and Sweet for celebrating after dunking were silly.

If UAF can keep their game together on Thursday, then both games (NNU & UAA too) should be really good. If UAF can't keep it organized then WOU will run away with it. NNU and UAA should be really good too. Both teams had tough losses this week. NNU has proved they've got a good combination of dribble drive penetration, rebounding and outside shooters with great defensive energy. UAA relies heavily on the three pointer, but they have decent dribble drive ability and they have Pantovic's presence inside which is huge. And both teams are coming off of losses to the bottom teams of the GNAC... All these wins by teams really low in the GNAC this week speaks to volatility in the GNAC this season.

Comment

Great post, Northern. Should be a fun tourney since most of the teams are equal, for example WOU losing in OT to SPU at home and by one in Seattle. That said, UAF is a tough matchup for the Wolves because they don't have anyone who can slow Shabazz, who lit them up twice this year. (I realize he's lit everyone up this year.) In recent years, they could slap Malik Morgan or Tanner Omlid on a superstar and slow a guy up, that's just not the case this year, which puts this game as up in the air on who is going to win. UAF is better than their 11 wins show, IMO.

Yes, on WOU broadcasts, really good, cameras and announcing. Very pleased with it and the very talented SID they have right now.

* Regarding NNU, the GNAC's Jekyll and Hyde team: great at home, not so much on the road. It will be interesting to see how they do on a semi-neutral court.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X