Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humboldt hoop coach resigns

Opening in the CCAA as Humboldt coach Steve Kinder has resigned, taking an athletic fund raising position at the school. I know a good guy to hire: Concordia's Roderick Rhodes. I thought Rhodes did a great job this year considering everything, especially in the final week.

Hard to attract good coaches and win at Humboldt these days. Location doesn't help either.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBronco3 View Post
      Hard to attract good coaches and win at Humboldt these days. Location doesn't help either.
      There are only a few hundred college basketball head coaching jobs in America, and there are a few thousand assistants who want to be head coaches. That's like saying there are only 300 teachers or accountants in America.

Tons of great coaches out there, and also plenty of bad ones. The key is finding a good one and hiring them. Location? Players want to play. A zillion JC's and high schools in Cali, go out and find players. The Dakotas have pretty good mid-major hoops right now, I wouldn't want to live there, but players want to play. Find the right guy and Humboldt can win or at least be very competitive every year. The reason places like Notre Dame de whatever don't win is because they don't care, it's not because of a lack of available coaches.

That all said, I'll agree with Billy in that Point Loma, APU, Pomona, etc., have better resources and locations to win consistently, but I think Humboldt could, too. Right now I'm not sure the school cares about athletics. They recently eliminated a very good D2 football program that drew huge crowds. I could see them becoming Notre Dame de Whatever if they don't start caring.

Comment

Humboldt is still a School in California! Try recruiting to Alaska or Montana! I agree though that a unsupportive administration is near impossible to overcome.

Speaking of Notre Dame de Namur...the previous coach there had a lot of interest in my son. Beautiful school, good academic school...he thought about it despite the basketball program and 4 years of losing. Ultimately he was too competitive for that but it made me look up the school thinking about it and came across this article...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mer...in-future/amp/

We may be down another D2 west coast school soon.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
          Opening in the CCAA as Humboldt coach Steve Kinder has resigned, taking an athletic fund raising position at the school. I know a good guy to hire: Concordia's Roderick Rhodes. I thought Rhodes did a great job this year considering everything, especially in the final week.
          You should pass along your hiring suggestion to Humboldt State. https://hsujacks.com/staff-directory
          Last edited by crixus; 03-14-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorage View Post
            Humboldt is still a School in California! Try recruiting to Alaska or Montana! I agree though that a unsupportive administration is near impossible to overcome.

Speaking of Notre Dame de Namur...the previous coach there had a lot of interest in my son. Beautiful school, good academic school...he thought about it despite the basketball program and 4 years of losing. Ultimately he was too competitive for that but it made me look up the school thinking about it and came across this article...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mer...in-future/amp/

We may be down another D2 west coast school soon.
            Like Concordia, these wealthy administrators know the financials years in advance, yet choose to announce problems weeks before they close. They won't get hurt, admins cash out.

Kids want to go to college, you can find students among the tons of high schools and JCs in the Bay area alone, not just the state. It comes down to lack of vision and laziness, not some national trend. Bottom line, Notre Dame de la m admins don't want to work it. Period.

It takes grinding, 60-hour weeks, tons of visits with students, etc. They're lazy, look there first.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X