Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament cancelled

D1, D2, and D2 men's and women's basketball tournaments cancelled, as well as I think all sports. Bummer, but they need to stop the spread of this virus. When Duke and Kansas shut down their athletic departments, I knew the Big Dance was living on borrowed time.

I'm disgusted. These poor seniors never get their basketball lives back. They should have postponed it,not cancelled it. Disgraceful reactionary decisions. Ask the kids if they want to play! 95 Percent would have said yes!

Comment

It sucks, but when you think Big Picture the decision makes sense. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBronco3 View Post
        I'm disgusted. These poor seniors never get their basketball lives back. They should have postponed it,not cancelled it. Disgraceful reactionary decisions. Ask the kids if they want to play! 95 Percent would have said yes!
        Nah, this is spreading like crazy and seriously, I don't care about the seniors anymore than I would any other senior in college, a music major, a psych major, someone who is in something non-athletic. We all have lives we can't get back, they'll live. It's going to get worse way before it's going to get better. When should they postpone it? June or July? They're not close to getting a remedy just yet. I love college basketball and D2 ball, but some things are just more important than sports. All of these decisions have been first vetted with the CDC and World Health Organization.

Comment

Chico st was upset. Some old guy was checking in and drove all the way from Seattle to watch grand kid on SeaPac. I felt so bad for him. Western Washington had to turn around too. Sad. They should have postponed and played it in 30-45 days. Short sighted decision making!

Comment

Cannot really postpone March Madness. The teams would not be playing at their best if they get back into playing in May. Would be weird. And mess up the recruiting schedule and all that too. But March will never be the same without college hoops. This all makes me so sick.......figuratively.

poor choice of words.

Comment

Gonzaga coach Mark Few wanted a postponement, but from everything I've heard it's going to get worse in the next couple months. No practices and a lot of seniors in D1 are off to the pros -- though there are no NBA tryouts/mini-camps right now. I'm not sure how they take 3 months off from practicing, get everyone together, book flights, hotels, etc., again an go on.

That said, I think all seniors should be granted an extra year of eligibility if they want it. Heck, some football guys have played 6 years (Pueller/WSU linebacker) because of injuries. Grant the extra year to seniors and don't hold it against the school's total scholarship limit. Why not? Can't the NCAA be nice for once?

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Nah, this is spreading like crazy and seriously, I don't care about the seniors anymore than I would any other senior in college, a music major, a psych major, someone who is in something non-athletic. We all have lives we can't get back, they'll live. It's going to get worse way before it's going to get better. When should they postpone it? June or July? They're not close to getting a remedy just yet. I love college basketball and D2 ball, but some things are just more important than sports. All of these decisions have been first vetted with the CDC and World Health Organization.
                Great post. I work in health care and public health and this response to covid-19 was delayed in the U.S. I was surprised the GNAC tournament went on in Seattle given that we knew this was coming the second it got out of China. This virus can be spread before an infected person knows they are ill, which has lead to difficulty containing it. Social distancing is really important to keep social infrastructure intact. If we want doctors and nurses able to report for their shifts and take care of our elderly and ill, we need to cancel basketball tournaments for heaven's sake so that we can mitigate the affects from this.

Am I bummed about not being able to watch a ton of basketball in the next month. Of course. Should seniors on basketball teams be bummed; of course. Is a tournament worth the life of their grandparents? No. Just no. Much of the rest of the world has already been inconvenienced by this. Sports are at a standstill in Europe. If we were paying attention to the rest of the world we would not be so surprised by this, it has been marching to the U.S. since January. Denial has been thriving.

Comment

CBSsports.com had a simulated National Championship for the D1 teams.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...aa-tournament/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X