Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are we at and what's your community doing?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are we at and what's your community doing?

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/natio...d-19-pandemic/

I have been noticing too that many countries doing much better with effective national strategies are back to playing sports. It's not looking real promising here and every single GNAC state has a growing epidemic right now, not a shrinking one (https://rt.live/). I think for fall sports, athletes would normally plan on being on campus for training within a month. To change our trajectory within that month would take action right now. What are your communities doing and is it working? I am guessing we will here something from the NCAA or the GNAC, if not individual universities soon. I'm just wondering if anyone else has thoughts or remarks on what you see as working or not working to get us closer to sports.

Idaho is spiking because they brought things back open too early. The governor is actually moved some parts of the state, including Boise, back a stage. The nut jobs don't like it and burned masks in front of the Capitol, but they need to do this to reduce the amount of spread. Ida was one of the top states in the country right now in spreading the virus.

I recently talked to some people at Western Oregon and they're very concerned that not having a football season could really hurt but they would understand why they would not have it. Also, the Canadian border is currently closed and then when they open it you have to quarantine for 14 days before going up there. I don't see how Simon Fraser has a football season this fall, and like I've said in the past, even though I love having them in the GNAC, they are best served by playing Canadian College athletics. every football player and every athlete has to have a passport just to go compete up there.

Our country just isn't tough enough and strong enough to put on masks and practice social distancing and alter their lives for a little while. We should be getting out of this by the end of August that we are not because we're not tough enough.

Comment

Last edited by Anchorage; 07-09-2020, 04:30 AM.

Comment

The Big ten is going to announce conference games only for football today. I see basketball is a very manageable sport in division 2. I would say most schools in the GNAC average 500 fans or less, some outliers are there. At Western Oregon they get about 500 to 700 a game and the gym holds 2K to 2,300; it would be easy to practice social distancing watching the game there.

Comment

GNAC makes an announcement today on Fall Sports...that it is monitoring the situation and will make the real announcement on July 17th.

Comment

D2 conferences CIAA and SIAC have announced the suspension of Fall Sports. 25 D2 programs in total impacted.

Comment

Thanks for all the information!

In addition to this news which means we'll know about fall sports soon, the Trump administration's order that International students will have to leave the country if classes are only offered online will certainly effect athletics as well.

While I have *heard* that UAA is sort of pointing themselves at 100% online courses this fall, UAF is NOT. Lots of things will likely happen before that's decided, but, I know for a fact that UAF is working hard to have up to 50% occupancy on campus and some classes taught in-person.

Both UA schools have some stellar foreign athletes that they would lose if Trump's order stands and classes are online.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
                Thanks for all the information!

In addition to this news which means we'll know about fall sports soon, the Trump administration's order that International students will have to leave the country if classes are only offered online will certainly effect athletics as well.

While I have *heard* that UAA is sort of pointing themselves at 100% online courses this fall, UAF is NOT. Lots of things will likely happen before that's decided, but, I know for a fact that UAF is working hard to have up to 50% occupancy on campus and some classes taught in-person.

Both UA schools have some stellar foreign athletes that they would lose if Trump's order stands and classes are online.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for the insights into foreign students. I'm not sure if I was a foreign student that I would want to be here now!!! Sheesh. We're a bit of a mess right now in many regards. I had often thought that moving sports seasons around this year might make sense... Lots of stuff to learn in the next weeks it seems. Hope you are all staying safe and healthy!

Comment

Trump administration has dropped their plan aimed at foreign students not being permitted to stay in the country, if at a university that has moved online teaching, a federal judge in the pending lawsuit has announced.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X