Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparlings Reunited in Fairbanks

https://twitter.com/ColemanSparling/...72014023938049

The inevitable has happened. UT-Arlington grad transfer and former-CWU Wildcat Coleman Sparling is transferring to UAF to play again for his dad, Greg Sparling. He will join forces with reigning GNAC Player of the Year Shadeed Shabazz, the younger brother of former-Wildcat Khalil Shabazz. UAF is certainly now a favorite to win the GNAC. This is karma working its curse against CWU right here. But the Sparlings deserve to have a big season to really make a statement. Also UW grad transfer Quin Barnard, a guard who prepped at O'Dea before walking on to the Huskies, is also heading to Fairbanks.

Going to be some hot winter nights in Fairbanks

Comment

Here is more of an unconfirmed rumor. This is according to former CWU player Naim Ladd on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Ladd_SA/status/1293389331424358401

According to Ladd's tweet, former UC Santa Barbara player and Foss HS (Tacoma) star Roberto Gittens is also heading to Fairbanks. He signed with WSU out of high school but wasn't eligible and ended up at Southern Idaho before heading to UCSB. He was a 4 star recruit, one of the top recruits in the West, out of Foss. But last season at UCSB he played in just 13 games with less than 7 minutes per game.

I cannot be sure if this rumor is true, but if so then UAF may end up being one of the top D2 teams in the West Region

Maybe one of you Alaska guys more connected than me can confirm this?
      Last edited by CWU Wildcat Nation; 08-12-2020, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Wow, huge day for Fairbanks. Sparling's kid will help immediately as will the University of Washington transfer. They already have in my opinion the best returning D2 player in the country coming back in Shabazz.

I know the WSU Cougars wanted Gittens pretty badly and we're disappointed when he did not get eligible. If they get him, I would say Fairbanks is among the top two in the league heading into the season.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
          Here is more of an unconfirmed rumor. This is according to former CWU player Naim Ladd on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Ladd_SA/status/1293389331424358401

According to Ladd's tweet, former UC Santa Barbara player and Foss HS (Tacoma) star Roberto Gittens is also heading to Fairbanks. He signed with WSU out of high school but wasn't eligible and ended up at Southern Idaho before heading to UCSB. He was a 4 star recruit, one of the top recruits in the West, out of Foss. But last season at UCSB he played in just 13 games with less than 7 minutes per game.

I cannot be sure if this rumor is true, but if so then UAF may end up being one of the top D2 teams in the West Region

Maybe one of you Alaska guys more connected than me can confirm this?
          The only thing I found on Twitter is that NWAC (Olympic) PG Zac Olmsted was congratulated for his commitment to UAF. But nothing from him or the school...

Comment

Hey fellas. Thanks for watching the recruiting trail for me. I've laid off that screenwatching sport in recent years just because Sparling really keeps a lid on things and there are other things to do in the summer. I really liked Sparling's skills as a frosh at CWU; certainly a fundamental player.

I also don't get too wrapped up in preseason hype. It's the biggest killer to a season. Signing good recruits does not guarantee a great season; lots of other things need to happen. The first of which is for our collective behavior to continue to bend the curve in this pandemic so we can have a season and the political will for policymakers to look at the long road, not the shorter one to re-election.

Hope ya'll are staying safe and enjoying summer in what fashion you can. Thanks for sharing this news!

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
              Hey fellas. Thanks for watching the recruiting trail for me. I've laid off that screenwatching sport in recent years just because Sparling really keeps a lid on things and there are other things to do in the summer. I really liked Sparling's skills as a frosh at CWU; certainly a fundamental player.

I also don't get too wrapped up in preseason hype. It's the biggest killer to a season. Signing good recruits does not guarantee a great season; lots of other things need to happen. The first of which is for our collective behavior to continue to bend the curve in this pandemic so we can have a season and the political will for policymakers to look at the long road, not the shorter one to re-election.

Hope ya'll are staying safe and enjoying summer in what fashion you can. Thanks for sharing this news!
              Northern, thanks for chiming in. It's fun to follow off-season recruiting, and yes it doesn't mean everything but it's just kind of a neat little thing to track during the summer months.

You are right on that it doesn't always predict greatness. Seattle Pacific doesn't usually kill it on the recruiting trail and they keep winning the league.

That said, if Fairbanks gets Gittens they are going to be a real force, and will still be very good even without him.

Comment

CONFIRMED. Roberto Gittens is on the UAF roster. That makes EIGHT seniors/grad players for the Nanooks. This could be the most talented and deepest team Spar has ever coached.

Seniors Shabazz, Gittens, Huerta, Barnard
                6'7" graduate Coleman Sparling and senior Alex Sommerfield
                6'11" sophomore Kachjaani

THAT is a deep team!

https://alaskananooks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                  CONFIRMED. Roberto Gittens is on the UAF roster. That makes EIGHT seniors/grad players for the Nanooks. This could be the most talented and deepest team Spar has ever coached.

Seniors Shabazz, Gittens, Huerta, Barnard
                  6'7" graduate Coleman Sparling and senior Alex Sommerfield
                  6'11" sophomore Kachjaani

THAT is a deep team!

https://alaskananooks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
                  I'm simultaneously really excited and not very hopeful... UAF's volleyball team was pretty loaded this year and has slowly worked its way out of the basement of the league and in recent years beaten both UAA and CWU who were consistently at the top of the league and now the Nooks are loaded for men's basketball too and in the year when it just isn't looking that promising pandemic-wise. Hoping university campuses and college towns can start figuring it out-does NCAA announce plans for winter sports in mid-October, right?

Comment

I'm simultaneously really excited and not very hopeful... UAF's volleyball team was pretty loaded this year and has slowly worked its way out of the basement of the league and in recent years beaten both UAA and CWU who were consistently at the top of the league and now the Nooks are loaded for men's basketball too and in the year when it just isn't looking that promising pandemic-wise. Hoping university campuses and college towns can start figuring it out-does NCAA announce plans for winter sports in mid-October, right?
                    We will see. I predict a mid-January start date for games, tournament in April. Fairbanks, Valley and now Anchorage has started high school sports. D1 Football has started in many conferences. Other D1 sports are practicing and working out together. Sports will start to open up at the D2 level in the coming months I think.

Comment

I think UAF greatly enhanced their roster. I'm not ready to pick them to win it because as a CWU fan I know said, "Getting talent was never Sparling's problem." Putting it all together might be the bigger issue. I have no problem saying Shabazz is arguably the best D2 player in the nation, or that Sparling's kid is talented, or that Gittens is really skilled. I want to see how it all comes together. Until then, my very early pick to win the league is SPU, and I know that's a cliche pick, but they seem to have things pretty solidified right now with the coach, program identity, players, etc. I do think UAF is definitely a top 4 GNAC team, however.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                        I think UAF greatly enhanced their roster. I'm not ready to pick them to win it because as a CWU fan I know said, "Getting talent was never Sparling's problem." Putting it all together might be the bigger issue. I have no problem saying Shabazz is arguably the best D2 player in the nation, or that Sparling's kid is talented, or that Gittens is really skilled. I want to see how it all comes together. Until then, my very early pick to win the league is SPU, and I know that's a cliche pick, but they seem to have things pretty solidified right now with the coach, program identity, players, etc. I do think UAF is definitely a top 4 GNAC team, however.
                        Amen! Same goes for WWU as far as I'm concerned, but for different reasons and background (they always recruit a lot of talent, but it doesn't always materialize into great seasons, even if they are skilled individually)... UAA had a great recruiting season and it seems that there is transition, but talent coming into WOU too. Let's see what CWU, NNU do to up their game. And yeah, SPU will be good even if they have an off year.

Oh wait. There's a pandemic going on. Shoot. So excited for this season. I wish I had your optimism Anchorage, but I don't see things getting better without a lot more coordinated leadership, especially going into the cold season where people move inside...

Comment

Amen! Same goes for WWU as far as I'm concerned, but for different reasons and background (they always recruit a lot of talent, but it doesn't always materialize into great seasons, even if they are skilled individually)... UAA had a great recruiting season and it seems that there is transition, but talent coming into WOU too. Let's see what CWU, NNU do to up their game. And yeah, SPU will be good even if they have an off year.

Oh wait. There's a pandemic going on. Shoot. So excited for this season. I wish I had your optimism Anchorage, but I don't see things getting better without a lot more coordinated leadership, especially going into the cold season where people move inside...
                          Well one bit of further optimism for a season, long time college basketball reporter Jeff Goodman Is reporting that the Division 1 board of trustees are eyeing November 25th for D1 games to begin.

update* it passed the vote... November 25th first day of games for D1. Practice begins October 14th. Teams can immediately begin 12 hours a week of workout and skills development time.
                          Last edited by Anchorage; 09-16-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorage View Post

Well one bit of further optimism for a season, long time college basketball reporter Jeff Goodman Is reporting that the Division 1 board of trustees are eyeing November 25th for D1 games to begin.

update* it passed the vote... November 25th first day of games for D1. Practice begins October 14th. Teams can immediately begin 12 hours a week of workout and skills development time.
                            I'm guessing Jan. 1st if no further outbreaks. I'd start Dec. 15, Christmas break, no students around, safe campuses. Jan. 1 is going to be no different. Have some multi-game tournaments over the break ... if safe.

Comment

Just looked at the UAF roster and I noticed neither Sparling nor Barnard are listed anymore. I am wondering if they have decided not to pursue grad school because of COVID? Or maybe they are doing online studies and not on campus yet?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X