Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNAC Basketball start to be further delayed?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC Basketball start to be further delayed?

Basketball is currently slated to begin on December 1, but the conference may decide to push back the start until the new year. They are looking at either allowing non-conference games in December and starting conference play in January, or delaying all competition until January.

The GNAC needs to allow their members to begin at least non-conference play in December. There are plenty of local NAIA and DIII programs to play, whether or not they are able to play other DII teams in the PacWest and CCAA. We also now have plenty of access to COVID testing. If the border is still not open by the new year, Simon Fraser should consider instead playing only non-conference games against their other fellow Canadian universities and the GNAC should proceed without SFU.

https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/spor...r7Ot9WZ0CInGFc

I'd like to see them start in December after school lets out. No one will be on campus, it's safer then over January when students return. Schedule some non-league games, don't worry about alphabet soup -- D1, D2, D3 -- this year, everything has changed. Seriously, does anyone think sports count this year? I find it funny to read about all these D-1 schools worried about how to make the football playoffs. Even if you do, I don't care, it doesn't matter this year. Get some games in and play your best.

As a fan, I hope they let some fans into the games, spread them out. D2 isn't like d1 where there's a ton of people. I'm all for restrictions, but at this rate they'll never, ever open up again . ... we're spiking over here, it's not going away.

Comment

I don't see it happening fellas. Things are getting worse, not better and schools are losing $ by the minute and so the idea of traveling and testing players nonstop seems like a silly waste of money. Other countries that have managed to get sports going successfully where players actually can travel and utilize a bubble have leadership that was able to really ratchet transmission down to levels that allowed this kind of social mixing without outbreaks. The backdrop to successful sports being played across state and country borders here has not been laid. If they do get it going, I would expect a constant barrage of infected players and quarantine issues that could make it hardly worth following and I don't see it this fall. January at the earliest, but I fear we'll be in worse shape then than now.

It sucks all the way around, but I just don't see this happening right now and I don't see things changing pandemic wise in the timeframe the basketball season needs it to change.

Comment

https://twitter.com/gnacsports/statu...151540224?s=21

Comment

https://www.gnacsports.com/gnac/news...-sports-plans/

It is official. January 7 earliest start date.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
            I don't see it happening fellas. Things are getting worse, not better and schools are losing $ by the minute and so the idea of traveling and testing players nonstop seems like a silly waste of money. Other countries that have managed to get sports going successfully where players actually can travel and utilize a bubble have leadership that was able to really ratchet transmission down to levels that allowed this kind of social mixing without outbreaks. The backdrop to successful sports being played across state and country borders here has not been laid. If they do get it going, I would expect a constant barrage of infected players and quarantine issues that could make it hardly worth following and I don't see it this fall. January at the earliest, but I fear we'll be in worse shape then than now.

It sucks all the way around, but I just don't see this happening right now and I don't see things changing pandemic wise in the timeframe the basketball season needs it to change.
            I agree somewhat, but what are they going to do, shut down entire towns and business owners go homeless? There's virtually no federal assistance for small businesses -- $500 BILLION went to large corporations and Wall Street -- most small business owners, who depend on football and basketball fans, got ZERO financial support. Are they supposed to sell their house, live on the streets, be homeless? I'm really pro mask and social distancing, but I don't see this pandemic going away for years and years, there's no vaccine this year, people are dreaming. So live in a world with no downtown, places boarded up, small college towns with tons of homeless people, colleges with hardly anyone going to them? That's not an answer, hell, I'd rather have masked, socially distanced sports.

I guarantee you there is ZERO dollars in aid coming to small businesses, and ZIP in aid for those who lose their houses, livelihood, and food. I don't think this is a way to live anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

I agree somewhat, but what are they going to do, shut down entire towns and business owners go homeless? There's virtually no federal assistance for small businesses -- $500 BILLION went to large corporations and Wall Street -- most small business owners, who depend on football and basketball fans, got ZERO financial support. Are they supposed to sell their house, live on the streets, be homeless? I'm really pro mask and social distancing, but I don't see this pandemic going away for years and years, there's no vaccine this year, people are dreaming. So live in a world with no downtown, places boarded up, small college towns with tons of homeless people, colleges with hardly anyone going to them? That's not an answer, hell, I'd rather have masked, socially distanced sports.

I guarantee you there is ZERO dollars in aid coming to small businesses, and ZIP in aid for those who lose their houses, livelihood, and food. I don't think this is a way to live anymore.
              I understand and I am tired and angry too. It's emotionally exhausting and more so than it needs to be here. But no manner of emotions will change the course of how this virus spreads. I look to many other countries around the world who have sports going on, who have children back in schools, and aid to businesses and people who have been disproportionately harmed by this. There is in fact a way forward that is very different than what we are doing now. Short term pain for long term gain.

I like the GNAC decision to delay and keep observing. While I don't see things getting better without a vastly different national strategy, I would be happy to be wrong... Hang in there!

Comment

Other countries actually support small businesses. I guarantee you zero small businesses will be getting adequate support to stay afloat during the virus.

Comment

Not basketball, but GNAC related. My old alma mater San Jose State has been practicing (football team) at Humboldt State. I'm hoping this will open some eyes up there and lead to the return of Lumberjacks football. One can only hope. https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/10/...umboldt-state/

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
                    Not basketball, but GNAC related. My old alma mater San Jose State has been practicing (football team) at Humboldt State. I'm hoping this will open some eyes up there and lead to the return of Lumberjacks football. One can only hope. https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/10/...umboldt-state/
                    I saw that and it looked like the athletic director was welcoming San Jose State with open arms saying football on campus is such a great thing. Why isn't it a great thing to have on your own campus all the time?

Also, the newly hired Humboldt hoop coach was arrested for suspicion of DUI. I question that hire when they made it because the guys seems to change jobs every year.

I'd love to see Humboldt State get back football and act like a really good D2 athletic School again.
                    Last edited by tsull; 10-13-2020, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Comment

It's a crazy dream to think that they won't cancel the season IMHO... There is no good news on the pandemic front and no good reason to have D2 athletes traveling all over the place and using huge amounts of resources to test them to do so when so many other more important things just can't go forward. I'd love to be able to watch ball this winter, but can you imagine the outcry if this went forward and academics stayed on hold? Can you imagine the disruption to schedules given the very likely infections? Team A travels to play team B, but once they are there, someone tests positive... Game canceled, travel money wasted, team A goes back home to quarantine for 2 weeks and cancels all games for next 2 weeks. It just ain't happening.

Comment

I'll be contrarian here: I see them playing the season. There is no vaccine, there never, ever will be a good vaccine, there is no national help for small businesses -- where many D2 schools reside -- there is no national plan, there will not be a national plan, ever.

I'm wearing a mask as I write this, I'm at work. I keep my distance at work, I have the best N-whatever masks, I'm all for it. But my theory in life is what have you (American government) done? Nothing. I just read today that the $600 BILLION stimulus bill for SMALL businesses didn't get out, only $2 billion did ... guessing that money didn't leave the east coast.

Most schools in the GNAC -- Monmouth, Fairbanks, Ellensburg, Bellingham, etc. -- need small business support. (I'd say Nampa, but just read it's the 10th-fastest growing city in America, ugh!) The GNAC town businesses depend on school activities to stay afloat. What are the business owners supposed to do, shut their businesses, go home and kill themselves?

We can halt life for the next 20 years or start living, even if it's with masks and distancing. Believe me, there is no change next year, the year after that, and the year after that. There's no national plan, there's no small business assistance ... tip off the freaking ball and go.

Comment

Comment

Good stuff. It's about quick assessment. I work in the schools in the state/region SW Idaho, that has the highest per capita infection rate in the nation right now, mostly because our governor (Brad Little, whom I call Do-Little) has lifted nearly every restriction possible.

At my school we are in a hybrid format, half the student body one day/half the next. Masks are required. We have a quarantine room. Kids are assessed by teachers when they walk in the room, if they aren't feeling good, their temperature is taken and then sent to the quarantine room and then home. We have all kinds of other restrictions, even our own district thinks our school is too restrictive. We have three administrators -- one who already got Covid over the summer -- who have underlying conditions and they're not risking it.

The model isn't perfect -- we've had one student test positive out of 450 students -- but it's working. We social distance and mask like no tomorrow. I'm glad they haven't cancelled school -- we started in-person late this year. They cancelled last spring for 2 1/2 months. To be honest, the kids came back much less sharp academically, I'd say that part is bordering on crisis. So I'm glad we're back with restrictions.

I think college and college athletics can be done, but the organization has to be restrictive and down right dictatorial. I've seen it work.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X