Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMU at NNU ... tremendous game

First off, 1,100 in the house at NNU, way to turn out NNU and Nampa. Great atmosphere, awesome game, this is what college basketball is all about.

So impressed with St. Martin's, who got down 16 with 7 to go in the first half and didn't blink, so much poise. As talented as they are, their grit and determination is even more impressive. They are a true team and a fine representative for the GNAC this year heading into regionals.

SMU leading scorer E.J. Boyce was out with a concussion, didn't make the trip. Hope he returns soon. Luke Chavez showed why he was the conference pre-season player of the year. He put his team on his back in the 2nd half and carried them to a win, once hitting a very deep 3 as the shot clock was winding down, getting fouled, and hitting the free throw to put the dagger in for the win. He finished with 23, points 12 of 13 at the line, 7 boards, more importantly, controlled the ball when NNU was starting to make its rally. Chavez is a flat-out baller and IMO, the best player on the floor last night.

SMU hit some key 3's in the second half that inced it and shot 41 for the game, but one guy, a horrible shooter, went 1 for 8 from 3, so really their percentage should've been better. (Not sure why that guy kept launching, he was brutal.) Chandler Redix was awesome for SMU, too, 21 points, some key 3's before fouling out. At one point in the 2nd half Chavez was in the locker room with a dinged ankle, Redix was on the bench after fouling out, and of course Boyce was home -- 3 top scorers not on the floor and SMU didn't give an inch. St. Martin's coach Alex Pribble is impressive.

NNU's Obi Megwa went one-on-one with much success the last 5 minutes, trying to get his team back in it. He was 12 of 27; Arms was 6 of 16, so they were 18 of 43. Arms needs to up his attitude a bit, got a technical, was yapping a lot. Great talent, the wait awhile before I warm-up with my team stuff needs to end, too. More team, less prima donna for Arms, IMO. NNU's most reliable guy, Bezzant (18 points) goes minutes without touching the ball, then usually makes a hoop. Megwa and Arms are way, way too selfish and this will kill them if they can't locate Bezzant more often. Bezzant was 8 of 13.

All in all, a tremendous game, lots of fun, good to see the community come out. St. Martin's should average 1,500 at the gate, this is a great team to watch. Olympia metro area is hardly sports central, however. Still, I think SMU can really go far this year.

Re: SMU at NNU ... tremendous game

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    First off, 1,100 in the house at NNU, way to turn out NNU and Nampa. Great atmosphere, awesome game, this is what college basketball is all about.

So impressed with St. Martin's, who got down 16 with 7 to go in the first half and didn't blink, so much poise. As talented as they are, their grit and determination is even more impressive. They are a true team and a fine representative for the GNAC this year heading into regionals.

SMU leading scorer E.J. Boyce was out with a concussion, didn't make the trip. Hope he returns soon. Luke Chavez showed why he was the conference pre-season player of the year. He put his team on his back in the 2nd half and carried them to a win, once hitting a very deep 3 as the shot clock was winding down, getting fouled, and hitting the free throw to put the dagger in for the win. He finished with 23, points 12 of 13 at the line, 7 boards, more importantly, controlled the ball when NNU was starting to make its rally. Chavez is a flat-out baller and IMO, the best player on the floor last night.

SMU hit some key 3's in the second half that inced it and shot 41 for the game, but one guy, a horrible shooter, went 1 for 8 from 3, so really their percentage should've been better. (Not sure why that guy kept launching, he was brutal.) Chandler Redix was awesome for SMU, too, 21 points, some key 3's before fouling out. At one point in the 2nd half Chavez was in the locker room with a dinged ankle, Redix was on the bench after fouling out, and of course Boyce was home -- 3 top scorers not on the floor and SMU didn't give an inch. St. Martin's coach Alex Pribble is impressive.

NNU's Obi Megwa went one-on-one with much success the last 5 minutes, trying to get his team back in it. He was 12 of 27; Arms was 6 of 16, so they were 18 of 43. Arms needs to up his attitude a bit, got a technical, was yapping a lot. Great talent, the wait awhile before I warm-up with my team stuff needs to end, too. More team, less prima donna for Arms, IMO. NNU's most reliable guy, Bezzant (18 points) goes minutes without touching the ball, then usually makes a hoop. Megwa and Arms are way, way too selfish and this will kill them if they can't locate Bezzant more often. Bezzant was 8 of 13.

All in all, a tremendous game, lots of fun, good to see the community come out. St. Martin's should average 1,500 at the gate, this is a great team to watch. Olympia metro area is hardly sports central, however. Still, I think SMU can really go far this year.
    Glad it was a good game. Have noticed as well that Arms is pretty into talking to fans and picking up technicals. He's got 5 of them in league games this year. I can't imagine anyone else has accumulated that many. He was having a full-on conversation with a fan up here in Fairbanks and picked up a technical that game too. He is very talented, but technicals can really hurt the team after a while and be a way for opponents to strategize... BTW, Megwa has 2 on the year, Diaz 1, White 1, and team (coach) 2... That adds up to 11 total, for what I would say, the hottest tempered team in the league. So, yes, they need to settle down and focus on keeping their cool, passing and all the little things that make a difference in team culture this time of year. We shall see....

Comment

Re: SMU at NNU ... tremendous game

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
      Glad it was a good game. Have noticed as well that Arms is pretty into talking to fans and picking up technicals. He's got 5 of them in league games this year. I can't imagine anyone else has accumulated that many. He was having a full-on conversation with a fan up here in Fairbanks and picked up a technical that game too. He is very talented, but technicals can really hurt the team after a while and be a way for opponents to strategize... BTW, Megwa has 2 on the year, Diaz 1, White 1, and team (coach) 2... That adds up to 11 total, for what I would say, the hottest tempered team in the league. So, yes, they need to settle down and focus on keeping their cool, passing and all the little things that make a difference in team culture this time of year. We shall see....
      Yep, on Arms, early in the year really liked his game. He's amped up the trash talking, yapping to a St. Martin's assistant last night. Really? Let your game speak for itself. He sits on the bench during warmups, then after five minutes or so, graces the team with his presence. Dude, you're playing D2 basketball after playing probably in front of 50 fans a night in JC ball. You should be humbled by now. Also, it is odd that NNU (a Christian school) leads the conference in technicals. Huh? NNU has the talent to win the conference and regionals; not sure they quite have the mental toughness. I saw mental toughness last night, it's spelled St. Martin's.

* Just so I'm playing fair here, my alma mater, WOU, also is lacking in the mental toughness department. Those guys haven't played defense in a month ... or more. :at-wits-end:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X