Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2019 Unofficial Official Conference Tournament Thread

The women's brackets are up first, so I'm going to put them up now while we wait for the Chaminade-Hilo game to play out and complete the PacWest men's bracket.

Women's Conference Tournaments

CCAA (first round Tuesday at higher seeds; semis and final at CSU-East Bay

Tuesday
    #8 San Francisco State 36 at #1 UC San Diego 87
    #7 Sonoma State 59 at #2 Cal Poly Pomona 66
    #6 CSU-East Bay 72 at #3 Humboldt State 62
    #5 CSU-Dominguez Hills 69 at #4 CSU-San Marcos 75

Friday
    #4 CSU-San Marcos 63 vs. #1 UC San Diego 70
    #6 CSU-East Bay 71 vs. #2 Cal Poly Pomona 88

Championship
    #2 Cal Poly Pomona 60 vs. #1 UC San Diego 72

GNAC (at Western Washington)

Thursday

#5 Concordia-Portland 65 vs. #4 Central Washington 68
    #6 Western Washington 72 vs. #3 Simon Fraser 69

Friday
    #4 Central Washington 52 vs. #1 Alaska-Anchorage 70
    #6 Western Washington 78 vs. #2 Northwest Nazarene 83

Championship
    #2 Northwest Nazarene 70 vs. #1 Alaska-Anchorage 64

PacWest (at Dominican)

Thursday
    #6 Concordia-Irvine 58 vs. #3 Hawai'i Pacific 65
    #5 Fresno Pacific 74 vs. #4 Point Loma 85

Friday
    #3 Hawai'i Pacific 84 vs. #2 Dominican 66
    #4 Point Loma 55 vs. #1 Azusa Pacific 64

Championship
    #3 Hawai'i Pacific 75 vs. #1 Azusa Pacific 68
    Last edited by SGAstumpJ; 03-09-2019, 09:27 PM. Reason: Updated as games are played

Re: The 2019 Unofficial Official Conference Tournament Thread

Men's brackets

CCAA (first round at higher seed; semis and final at CSU-East Bay)

#8 Humboldt State 67 at #1 Cal Poly Pomona 85
    #7 CSU-San Bernardino 69 at #2 UC San Diego 98
    #6 CSU-Dominguez Hills 54 at #3 CSU-East Bay 68
    #5 CSU-Los Angeles 81 at #4 San Francisco State 76 (OT)

Friday
    #3 CSU-East Bay 68 vs. #2 UC San Diego 72
    #5 CSU-Los Angeles 99 vs. #1 Cal Poly Pomona 102 (4OT!!!!)

Championship
    #2 UC San Diego 71 vs. #1 Cal Poly Pomona 62

Thursday
    #6 Simon Fraser 75 vs. #3 Northwest Nazarene 76
    #5 MSU-Billings 72 vs. #4 Western Oregon 79

Friday
    #3 Northwest Nazarene 81 vs. #2 Seattle Pacific 89
    #4 Western Oregon 70 vs. #1 Saint Martin's 53

Championship
    #4 Western Oregon 66 vs. #2 Seattle Pacific 78

PacWest (at Dominican)

Thursday
    #5 Academy of Art 67 vs. #4 Azusa Pacific 76 (OT)
    #6 Holy Names 97 vs. #3 Chaminade 108

Friday
    #4 Azusa Pacific 65 vs. #1 Point Loma 77
    #3 Chaminade 69 vs. #2 Concordia-Irvine 75

Championship
    #2 Concordia-Irvine 58 vs. #1 Point Loma 67
    Last edited by SGAstumpJ; 03-09-2019, 11:42 PM. Reason: Updated as games are played

Comment

Humboldt st will play CPP and the low life's from san Bernardino will play UCSD. More of on the broncos winning the CCAA title tomm.

Comment

So. No postseason for WWU this year. It makes CWU's crappy season feel slightly better. Neither team was able to recover from the loss of key transfers. But they will both be back in contention next year. I will root for our travel partners NNU. They are due!

Comment

Yeah... It seems like so many of us are thrilled that WWU isn't in it. Nothing personal toward the players, but I really did not want them in that tournament. The fact that Concordia beat them at their home last night on senior night demonstrates perfectly why they don't deserve it this year. Like Concordia, CWU finished strong taking SMU to 2OT. They have a lot of potential Wildcat Nation; I think they will be back in it next year.

Although at this point; it's not the place to talk about the Nooks, I do just want to attach the article from last nights game here in Fairbanks. I know several of you are also fond of Durham as a coach, like me and think this demonstrates what a classy guy he is: http://www.newsminer.com/sports/alas...6b12cdffd.html While the Nooks did not finish strong against MSUB, Sparling will have some time to put together a more competitive team for next year. My belief is that if he wants to do so and can openly reflect on this season, his current assistant will be packing his bags...

Definitely looking forward to the tourneys next week. Hoping that the GNAC 5/6 seeds SFU and MSUB can gather their respective teams and make the leap to be more competitive with the top 4 in the GNAC to make for some exciting quarter final games on Thursday! Good night of ball and the teams that deserved to get in did on the GNAC side.

Comment

Can't believe how UAA choked the season away losing 3 of 4 home games. They won 4 road games in conference this year, which would normally get you in to the GNAC tourney. Unfortunately, they did not play well at home, and will miss the conference tourney for the first time since it started. I am wondering how many more years Rusty will be at the helm. With the facilities that UAA has to offer, we should be recruiting better than we have been.

As for WWU, not making the tourney when it is on their home court, and losing on Saturday, has to be an embarrassment. After Thursday's games, I thought for sure they would be in there.

To be honest, I think the quality of men's basketball in the GNAC is not very good this year. I watched the SPU-MSUB game a couple of weeks ago just to get a neutral take, and it wasn't good. SPU's team, though successful this year, would get trounced by their teams of the past. Maybe it is just me. Guess I will watch some of the tourney - since I didn't see SMU play this year, and see how the GNBAC teams do in the regionals.

Oh well, at least I have the UAA women's team to root for. I would like to see Hannah Wandersee get to enjoy a long run in the tourney this year. It is almost certain the UCSD will host the regional tourney (if UAA wins GNAC tourney and UCSD loses its first game it will be close), but that is OK. UAA has in the past played better on the road in the NCAA regionals.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_AK View Post
              Can't believe how UAA choked the season away losing 3 of 4 home games. They won 4 road games in conference this year, which would normally get you in to the GNAC tourney. Unfortunately, they did not play well at home, and will miss the conference tourney for the first time since it started. I am wondering how many more years Rusty will be at the helm. With the facilities that UAA has to offer, we should be recruiting better than we have been.

As for WWU, not making the tourney when it is on their home court, and losing on Saturday, has to be an embarrassment. After Thursday's games, I thought for sure they would be in there.

To be honest, I think the quality of men's basketball in the GNAC is not very good this year. I watched the SPU-MSUB game a couple of weeks ago just to get a neutral take, and it wasn't good. SPU's team, though successful this year, would get trounced by their teams of the past. Maybe it is just me. Guess I will watch some of the tourney - since I didn't see SMU play this year, and see how the GNBAC teams do in the regionals.

Oh well, at least I have the UAA women's team to root for. I would like to see Hannah Wandersee get to enjoy a long run in the tourney this year. It is almost certain the UCSD will host the regional tourney (if UAA wins GNAC tourney and UCSD loses its first game it will be close), but that is OK. UAA has in the past played better on the road in the NCAA regionals.
              If the GNAC is down, then the whole West region is way down, because the GNAC has 3 in the top 8 regional rankings as of last week (see if NNU stays there after losing 2 at home last week) and 4 in the top 10 (again, see if WOU stays there after losing to WWU)... While SPU (and WWU, for that matter) used to have these utterly dominating teams, it's true that they might get beat by their previous teams. It's also true that they win in different ways now than they used to. SPU doesn't have dominating guys, they have a lot of guys who can go big any night and if you look at overall scoring, they don't boast any of the top scorers or stat-makers in the leaugue and yet they finished 2nd in what you could arguably say is the strongest conference in the region this year. They get it done by having a lot of well-rounded players. SMU is similar in my opinion. While Boyce has been the one to light up the stats this year, they are packed with a lot of dangerous guys and also don't boast a lot of the leagues top stat-makers... If the GNAC doesn't fair well at regionals, then you might be right. I think overall the GNAC is average this year when compared to other years, but the talent is spread out more, mostly in those top 4 teams, rather than having 1 or 2 teams that absolutely dominate. I think WOU is an awfully dangerous team in the GNAC tourney just because they are so talented and so athletic with a very smart coach. They've struggled to get their rhythm this year, but if they put the whole package together this week, I think they can beat anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
                If the GNAC is down, then the whole West region is way down, because the GNAC has 3 in the top 8 regional rankings as of last week (see if NNU stays there after losing 2 at home last week) and 4 in the top 10 (again, see if WOU stays there after losing to WWU)... While SPU (and WWU, for that matter) used to have these utterly dominating teams, it's true that they might get beat by their previous teams. It's also true that they win in different ways now than they used to. SPU doesn't have dominating guys, they have a lot of guys who can go big any night and if you look at overall scoring, they don't boast any of the top scorers or stat-makers in the leaugue and yet they finished 2nd in what you could arguably say is the strongest conference in the region this year. They get it done by having a lot of well-rounded players. SMU is similar in my opinion. While Boyce has been the one to light up the stats this year, they are packed with a lot of dangerous guys and also don't boast a lot of the leagues top stat-makers... If the GNAC doesn't fair well at regionals, then you might be right. I think overall the GNAC is average this year when compared to other years, but the talent is spread out more, mostly in those top 4 teams, rather than having 1 or 2 teams that absolutely dominate. I think WOU is an awfully dangerous team in the GNAC tourney just because they are so talented and so athletic with a very smart coach. They've struggled to get their rhythm this year, but if they put the whole package together this week, I think they can beat anyone.
                I'm not sure how good the league is top to bottom talent-wise, but it's sure more interesting than SPU-WWU and the 7 dwarves, which lasted for about a decade. I lost interest in D2 hoops real fast when that was going on. I did like that SPU team of Downs, Poling, Simon, etc., they were fun to watch, but still it's much more intriguing now. Concordia lost by 1 to NNU, beat WOU, and also beat WWU and Simon Fraser the last weekend -- on the road. MSU-Billings and Simon Fraser are dangerous teams now, too. Western Oregon has talent, not sure they can completely put it together this week and have a tough opener with Billings.

I saw St. Martin's up close last week vs. NNU, they are quite good. Their point guard, Standley, is awesome, and would be a D-1 guy if he was taller. I take that back, he's a D-1 caliber player, as good as Washington State's two point guards right now. Chavez was rightfully picked as pre-season GNAC player of the year. Whether he gets the award, I'm not sure, but he's really good. They're more of a team than a collection of super talented individuals.

I also think the league has greatly improved in coaching, Pribble a tremendous hire for St. Martin's; Shaw has been phenomenal, IMO, when his "down" years have been 18 and 20 wins. Keeping Durham in the conference was critical as he's great. I like Barberick at Concordia, obviously very good with what he's done the last month; I think Leep is excellent and hitting his stride at SPU; and I think Rush at NNU was a serious upgrade from what they've had in the past. (Sorry, if I've left off other outstanding coaches in the league ... the SFU coach, for example, is great.)

GNAC is very healthy right now, some attendance figures appear to be improving, NNU will be close to 1K this year ... might keep me from bashing them on that angle. :smile-big: Would like to see the GNAC and their schools promote men's (and women's) basketball a little better.

* Just saw the all-GNAC post. Real glad to see Chavez get player of the year honors, tremendous player.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                  I'm not sure how good the league is top to bottom talent-wise, but it's sure more interesting than SPU-WWU and the 7 dwarves, which lasted for about a decade. I lost interest in D2 hoops real fast when that was going on. I did like that SPU team of Downs, Poling, Simon, etc., they were fun to watch, but still it's much more intriguing now. Concordia lost by 1 to NNU, beat WOU, and also beat WWU and Simon Fraser the last weekend -- on the road. MSU-Billings and Simon Fraser are dangerous teams now, too. Western Oregon has talent, not sure they can completely put it together this week and have a tough opener with Billings.

I saw St. Martin's up close last week vs. NNU, they are quite good. Their point guard, Standley, is awesome, and would be a D-1 guy if he was taller. I take that back, he's a D-1 caliber player, as good as Washington State's two point guards right now. Chavez was rightfully picked as pre-season GNAC player of the year. Whether he gets the award, I'm not sure, but he's really good. They're more of a team than a collection of super talented individuals.

I also think the league has greatly improved in coaching, Pribble a tremendous hire for St. Martin's; Shaw has been phenomenal, IMO, when his "down" years have been 18 and 20 wins. Keeping Durham in the conference was critical as he's great. I like Barberick at Concordia, obviously very good with what he's done the last month; I think Leep is excellent and hitting his stride at SPU; and I think Rush at NNU was a serious upgrade from what they've had in the past. (Sorry, if I've left off other outstanding coaches in the league ... the SFU coach, for example, is great.)

GNAC is very healthy right now, some attendance figures appear to be improving, NNU will be close to 1K this year ... might keep me from bashing them on that angle. :smile-big: Would like to see the GNAC and their schools promote men's (and women's) basketball a little better.

* Just saw the all-GNAC post. Real glad to see Chavez get player of the year honors, tremendous player.
                  The All GNAC teams threat are my picks, not the official awards. Just getting overly nerdy here... :victory: I just don't see a reason not to give POTY to Chavez, because he leads the Saint's in scoring and they won the league. He may not have had the year that he had hoped for individually, but I bet he's happy to be where he is at, and not have the stats personally than to have the stats and not be looking at potentially hosting regionals... His team is better because they are way bigger than just Chavez now. I think the top teams in the region are CPP, SMU, and Point Loma; one from each conference.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
                    If the GNAC is down, then the whole West region is way down
                    Well, the PacWest did lose our top two teams in the standings from last year (Dixie to the RMAC, Cal Baptist to the Springfield Mystery Spot, better known as the WAC)

Comment

Quarterfinal action will start in both the GNAC and PacWest tomorrow. Here are the links to find the games online if you need them:

PacWest (at Dominican)

Comment

Well, Day 1 is now in the books. No upsets on the men's side anywhere. For the women, Humboldt and Simon Fraser (6 and 7 in the regional rankings this week) both being one-and-done this week makes things a little bit more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                          I'm not sure how good the league is top to bottom talent-wise, but it's sure more interesting than SPU-WWU and the 7 dwarves, which lasted for about a decade.
                          SPU has been the only really dominant program going to 12 straight NCAA regionals (13 total). Since the inception of the GNAC, WWU has gone to 7, the same as UAA, and just 2 more than CWU.
                          Back in 2005-06, the last year Humboldt State was in the GNAC, the GNAC sent 5 teams to regionals. We sent 4 in 2011-12. Sending 3 doesn't necessarily mean that the GNAC is a strong conference, as we almost always used to send 3 or more - 9 times in first 12 years of the conference. We have gotten only 1 or 2 in the last 5 years, which was a crime in some of the years. I do agree the coaching appears to be better - the ability of some of the guys to recruit to schools like SMU that have been down for a while has definitely improved, which is a large part of successful coaching. Perhaps I just see the absence of CWU, UAA, UAF, WWU from being in the mix as a sign of weakness - maybe just my perspective.
                          Will watch the tourneys and enjoy seeing some new teams - at least for this year.

Comment

The Anchorage women are so damn good. Every year. And they have a surprising amount of Alaskans on the team, including the conference POY. The rest seem to be from California. Their Mayhem high-pressure defense forces so many turnovers and makes 3-point shooting go cold. CWU didn't stand a chance today. 20 turnovers leading to 22 UAA points. UAA should be Division 1 if they weren't in, well, Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_AK View Post
                              SPU has been the only really dominant program going to 12 straight NCAA regionals (13 total). Since the inception of the GNAC, WWU has gone to 7, the same as UAA, and just 2 more than CWU.
                              Back in 2005-06, the last year Humboldt State was in the GNAC, the GNAC sent 5 teams to regionals. We sent 4 in 2011-12. Sending 3 doesn't necessarily mean that the GNAC is a strong conference, as we almost always used to send 3 or more - 9 times in first 12 years of the conference. We have gotten only 1 or 2 in the last 5 years, which was a crime in some of the years. I do agree the coaching appears to be better - the ability of some of the guys to recruit to schools like SMU that have been down for a while has definitely improved, which is a large part of successful coaching. Perhaps I just see the absence of CWU, UAA, UAF, WWU from being in the mix as a sign of weakness - maybe just my perspective.
                              Will watch the tourneys and enjoy seeing some new teams - at least for this year.
                              No way any league gets 5 now, to be honest, that's a fraud. The Cali leagues won't allow that and no conference should get 5 out of 8. For a very long time it was SPU, WWU, and some others. WOU's program was weak and improved with Bergeson and then Shaw coaching. SMU was in the tank. I don't get this GNAC thing where if CWU is bad in any sport, the league is down. That's bunk. Other teams hired better, and got better. WOU went from hardly any scholarships to now nearly fully funded. Other programs got with it, too, like NNU. It's soooo much more enjoyable now. I could predict winners and scores often when I went to games at WOU and NNU. Not so anymore ... a zillion times better today, IMO.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X