Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All GNAC teams...

Anybody care to share their picks? While individual awards are awesome, being in a team that is still playing is more awesome. Here's my picks; heavily slanted toward teams that are still playing...

POTY - L. Chavez, SMU
    Defensive POTY - R. Hawken, WOU
    Newcomer of the year - A. Arms, NNU
    Freshman of the year - B. Howard, MSUB
    Coach of the year - A. Pribble, SMU

1st team:
    A. Arms, NNU
    L. Chavez, SMU
    E. Boyce, SMU
    C. Wooten, SPU
    R. Hawken, WOU
    O. Megwa, NNU

2nd team:
    T. Jasinsky, WWU
    C. Redix, SMU
    B. Standley, SMU
    B. Howard, MSUB
    J. Bezzant, NNU
    G. Long, SPU

Honorable Mentions:
    T. Brimhall, UAA
    M. Kluting, UAF
    G. Boykin, CWU
    J. Gray, CUP
    N. Lizotte, SPU
    M. Provenzano, SFU
    W. Balata, SFU
    J. Roche, SFU
    Z. Rollins, MSUB
    T. Green, MSUB

*I watched a lot of both Alaska school games and although I think both UAF's Kluting deserves 2nd team and UAA's Brimhall too; ultimately I couldn't put any of those I put on the 2nd team down in HM category either... Hence the HM for those two, whose teams certainly did not live up to expectations. Although Brimhall will be back next year, I think their future is brighter with rural Alaska freshman Travis Adams who did a remarkable job as a true freshman at point guard.

Re: All GNAC teams...

Arms or Megwa should be considered for POY. Both had huge years. But I assume the POY will come from SMU. But Chavez's numbers were way down from last year. Yes I know his role was different this year. Coach of year is a toss up between SMU, SPU and NNU

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
      Arms or Megwa should be considered for POY. Both had huge years. But I assume the POY will come from SMU. But Chavez's numbers were way down from last year. Yes I know his role was different this year. Coach of year is a toss up between SMU, SPU and NNU
      Having seen NNU a few times this year, I think Megwa is the more valuable player -- though I think Arms is the most physically talented and is a lock for newcomer of the year if they have that award. I think Pribble is a lock for coach of the year, though yes, Rush and Leep both did outstanding jobs. I still think Chavez could get player of the year, but his role did change this year and he was their 2nd-leading scorer until the last weekend when Boyce was out with an injury. As always, some good talent to choose from.

Comment

Yeah, POTY is not obvious this year like it is many years. I just couldn't see why not to give it to Chavez as kind of the soul of that team, even if not the all-out statistical leader. I think Arms and Megwa are talented and statistically had better years than Chavez, but it didn't get their team to #1, they lost both games last week and because the other coaches vote on this (you can't vote for your own player, I think) it's likely if other coaches are voting NNU for POTY, Megwa and Arms may split those votes from other coaches? Arms will likely be preseason POTY next season... It might well be a surprise. Sometimes hard to know what the coaches value or saw as the POTY in other teams. Arms has more overall stats that Megwa does if you look beyond scoring, so I'll say Arms or Chavez, but I also think Arms's attitude and technical foul issues may cost him these kind of popularity votes from other coaches because it sorta insinuates that he may be difficult to coach. IDK. Could be dead wrong on all of it! :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
          Yeah, POTY is not obvious this year like it is many years. I just couldn't see why not to give it to Chavez as kind of the soul of that team, even if not the all-out statistical leader. I think Arms and Megwa are talented and statistically had better years than Chavez, but it didn't get their team to #1, they lost both games last week and because the other coaches vote on this (you can't vote for your own player, I think) it's likely if other coaches are voting NNU for POTY, Megwa and Arms may split those votes from other coaches? Arms will likely be preseason POTY next season... It might well be a surprise. Sometimes hard to know what the coaches value or saw as the POTY in other teams. Arms has more overall stats that Megwa does if you look beyond scoring, so I'll say Arms or Chavez, but I also think Arms's attitude and technical foul issues may cost him these kind of popularity votes from other coaches because it sorta insinuates that he may be difficult to coach. IDK. Could be dead wrong on all of it! :confused:
          Arms is the most talented player in the GNAC, but IMO, not the best player in the conference. Most of his plays are highlight reel stuff, an offensive put back he got -- from his own shot -- was pretty remarkable vs. St. Martin's. I saw a dunk vs. WOU that was one of the best I've seen at any level. The dude is seriously talented. On the other end, he was yapping at an SMU assistant, later got a technical, and while his team was rallying and didn't need to foul, he hacked Chavez in the backcourt, not anywhere near scoring range and Chavez was 12 of 13 at the line, why would you foul him? Between his yapping, his wait-until-I-warm-up with my team prima donna stuff, technicals, forced shots, bad fouls ... not player of the year material to me. Certainly newcomer of the year. Guessing next year he cuts out that stuff.

To me Megwa or Chavez are the players of the year from what they mean to their respective teams. I realize people often feel most talent wins out in awards and on the floor and if you have more D-1 drop-downs or D-1 move-ups, your program is awesome. Not so. Talent only wins when it's combined with mental toughness.

Comment

Well the teams are out! http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketbal...ll-conference/

Arms was named both POTY and NOTY. Pribble COTY, Kitchen DPOTY, Howard FOTY. Honestly there weren't any obvious choices for DPOTY this year. Hawken was just as deserving. Toss up. But Arms has dominant this year and well deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
              Well the teams are out! http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketbal...ll-conference/

Arms was named both POTY and NOTY. Pribble COTY, Kitchen DPOTY, Howard FOTY. Honestly there weren't any obvious choices for DPOTY this year. Hawken was just as deserving. Toss up. But Arms has dominant this year and well deserved.
              Arms' shooting percentage was better than I thought, he takes a lot of deep jumpers, too. Hitting 56% is awesome. I thought Megwa should've got player of the year, but that's just me. He averaged 19 ppg and a fair amount of assists. No problems with the selections other than I thought Bezzant of NNU was worthy of 2nd team honors, he's really good. WOU rotated lineups so much that Hawken was really the only steady guy night in and night out.

Comment

Good picks all the way around. Glad to see Kitchen get some recognition in DPOTY. Would have liked to see similar recognition for Baerlocher and Standley as well, but someone always gets left out in these things. The GNAC calls it "passion", we call it something else, but whatever! Coaches voted him in, so clearly they see him as the biggest threat. Looking forward to the tournament in a few days!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X