Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APU coach gone?

Hoopdirt.com rumors that APU coach Justin Leslie is off to Midwestern State. Curious, this is a D2 school, like APU. Does it have better resources? After 12 years at APU, is he looking for a change? Is he from Texas?

I saw APU play at the regionals at Western Oregon a couple years ago, I thought Leslie was a helluva coach. Move seems odd, unless he's tiring of SoCal housing prices and can get rich quick by selling and buying in the Midwest. APU fans, what are you hearing?

https://hoopdirt.com/dii-dirt-midwes...-their-choice/

Re: APU coach gone?

APU confirmed it. Here's the article in their own words.

https://athletics.apu.edu/news/2019/...ball-post.aspx

This was a surprise to me, too. Coach Leslie is a California native (played his HS ball in Perris) and had been with the program as a player and coach since 1996. He filled some big shoes when Bill Odell retired, and whomever takes over has a similar task ahead. I work at the games, but I'm not the kind of person that would be privy to the short list. This is a job that doesn't come open often. In 54 seasons, we've only had five head coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by SGAstumpJ View Post
      APU confirmed it. Here's the article in their own words.

https://athletics.apu.edu/news/2019/...ball-post.aspx

This was a surprise to me, too. Coach Leslie is a California native (played his HS ball in Perris) and had been with the program as a player and coach since 1996. He filled some big shoes when Bill Odell retired, and whomever takes over has a similar task ahead. I work at the games, but I'm not the kind of person that would be privy to the short list. This is a job that doesn't come open often. In 54 seasons, we've only had five head coaches.
      I don't get it. A D-1 job in Texas I'd get, but not this one. But people do what they want to do. I think APU is one of the top D2 jobs anywhere, just seems weird to me. Great hire by Midwestern State.

Point Loma, APU, and WOU, all open on the West Coast, I'm probably missing some.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
        I don't get it. A D-1 job in Texas I'd get, but not this one. But people do what they want to do. I think APU is one of the top D2 jobs anywhere, just seems weird to me. Great hire by Midwestern State.

Point Loma, APU, and WOU, all open on the West Coast, I'm probably missing some.
        Concordia Portland is open.

Comment

As it turns out, Azusa did what they did when they hired Leslie: promoted the lead assistant. In this case, another former player, Peter Bond.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X