Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAF-NNU game

Exciting game in Nampa, Idaho, tonight, NNU prevailing over UAF, 73-66, score a little deceiving, it was close most of the way. NNU pulled away at the end, great play by frosh guard Tru Allen, fantastic frosh, can't remember if he was there last year during the Covid year. Anyway, he got some loose balls down the stretch, hit some free throws, finished with 19 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists. Future superstar in the GNAC, in my opinion. Big post Gabriel Murphy came alive late in the second half with 3 dunks, he finished with 12 points, 8 rebounds, love his enthusiasm, he was tying to get the crowd into it. James Nelson had 16 point/9 boards for NNU, glad he returned to NNU from his one-year stint at Dixie, he's a good one.

I can see how UAF can beat anyone, they're loaded with talent, but a puzzling team. Coleman Sparling is an excellent player, but flat-out refuses to shoot and defers to lesser players. He took 6 shots in 30 minutes of play, constantly passing up open looks. Once did the fingers to the lips after hitting a 3 ... I was like, wow, that's your game? Shushing the crowd while being afraid to shoot? I'm guessing he's better than that. I was equally unimpressed with Shabazz, who was 5 of 14, one being a deep bank shot. I hyped him up as the top D2 player in the nation ... he doesn't even start. Really liked big man Mohammed Abdullah, very impressive big man with great moves underneath, finished with 26 points and 12 boards.

I know they only had 9 players, but coach Sparling's rotations are from the Twilight Zone. His kid sat for a lot in the first half and he doesn't put him and Shabazz on the court at the same time that much. Sparling (the younger) and Shabazz kept dishing to Quinn Barnard, who was 0 for 6. What a strange team and strange coach, it's like they don't know who their best players are. This game was for the taking for them and NNU is simply much better coached and will be a player in the league as long as coach Rush is there.

UAF has a boat load of talent, seriously a strange team ... I might be way off, Northern has seen them play a lot more than me.

Yeah. I feel much the same way. When they were down to 6 players they could finally put a solid game plan together and carry it out. More than 6 players seems to create too many problems for them. I like the starting 5; + Jones, their 6 guy team. They seem to play well together and open games well together, but they can't seem to get the right 5 on the floor to close games (seems like it should be 5 of those 6 to me, but it usually isn't). I agree this game was for the taking and they gave it away at the end. Mohamed has really come along. He was really getting his arms and legs tangled up at the beginning of the year, but he's come a long ways and can be really effective on the block and he doesn't seem to have the attitude problems that others have. Not sure I even want to watch them in Anchorage next week...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X