Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats UAF

I was right about UAF ... in July. I was praising these guys last summer, thought they had the talent to win it; gave up on them in December.

Bottom line, they have talent with a great low post, dynamic scoring guard, and excellent forward. Great run through the tourney.

Their plan was to shut down Xavier Smith and David Thompson and they nailed it. Held them to 10 points combined on 3/19 shooting. Shadeed Shabazz laid on the defense and didn't let up, getting the better of the player of the year. Shabazz started cold but he got it done on both ends of the court. Nanooks played 4th game in a row but kept up the energy and wanted this more. Incredible run for the very underrated 10 seed.

What a moment for the Sparlings to finally win that championship together....AGAINST Central. They overcame a lot of obstacles and prevailed. I'm so proud!

Comment

I can't believe the rebounding stat line last night. Early season, the Nooks did not have many rebounders, but as of late, they've really turned up the heat on that and it's paying dividends. I saw Jones get a lot of offensive boards and put-backs last night. Just really seemed like everything came together for this team at the exact right moment. Ultimately they got the right 7 players to stick with it and stay healthy and I did see that Barnard was dressed last night, but not looking like he was ready to go in, but perhaps he might be ready by Friday? Eight guys would be a luxury. Although they do actually have 8 now, but their 8th is Carle, a freshman from Anchorage who saw a few minutes in the 20 point win over NNU the other day, so potentially 9 guys going to regionals?

I'm sure if I looked harder, I could find the link for the NCAA announcement show tonight, but if any of you have it handy and can drop it in here, I'd be grateful. Really curious to see if Central did enough to get in? No idea about what's going on in the other conferences this year, only that they are better than the GNAC, and Central came into this tourney ranked 6th, but now the Nooks have probably gotten the #8 seed at regionals, so not sure if Central did enough to get a 6 or 7? Saints were 5 coming into this week, but they lost their opening game to WOU, so thinking if we get a 2nd team in, it ought to be Central, but again, no idea about the other conferences.

Comment

Looking at what the final regional rankings were on Wednesday (final D2 records in parentheses):

1. Chico State (18-4) -- one and done in CCAA tournament, lost to CSU-San Marcos
        2. CSU-San Bernardino (21-3) -- lost CCAA tournament final to CSU-San Marcos
        3. CSU-San Marcos (20-4) -- won CCAA tournament as #3 seed, guaranteed in
        4. Point Loma (19-9) -- lost in PacWest semifinals to Academy of Art
        5. St. Martin's (14-9) -- one and done in GNAC tournament, lost to Western Oregon
        6. Central Washington (14-9) -- lost in GNAC tournament final to Alaska-Fairbanks
        7. Cal Poly Pomona (12-9) -- one and done in CCAA tournament, lost to CSU-San Marcos
        8. Azusa Pacific (19-9) -- lost PacWest tournament final to Academy of Art
        9. Northwest Nazarene (10-9) -- one and done in GNAC tournament, lost to Alaska-Fairbanks
        10. CSU-Monterey Bay (13-9) -- one and done in CCAA tournament, lost to CSU-Dominguez Hills

Now add in: Academy of Art (19-10) PacWest tournament champion
        Alaska-Fairbanks (12-14) GNAC tournament champion

I feel the top four were safe regardless. Between St. Martin's, Central Washington, Cal Poly, and Azusa Pacific, there's four teams and only two spots. I think because of their runs to their tournament finals, CWU and Azusa get in, but I have no idea.

Comment

When are the regional pairings out?

Comment

About 15 minutes after I wrote this

The video gets streamed on the NCAA website at 7:30

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X