#3 Chico State vs. #6 Academy of Art
    #2 CSU-San Bernardino vs. #7 Cal Poly Pomona

Women's Bracket (at CSU-East Bay)

#1 CSU-East Bay vs. #8 Academy of Art
    #4 CSU-San Marcos vs. #5 Azusa Pacific
    #3 Western Washington vs. #6 Alaska Anchorage
    #2 Central Washington vs. #7 Northwest Nazarene

Gentlemen, start your griping!

Really surprised another GNAC team did not get in. CWU, UAA, SMU all could have snuck in as the 7th or 8th seed.

Really bizarre how the 2 GNAC teams will have to play each other in the first 2 rounds of the women's tournament. Seeding could've been better there. Nice to see CWU at #2 regardless!

Comment

Everything seems fair to me, the GNAC did not deserve another team in the men's bracket. The regular season needs to mean something and taking a barely .500 or better Great Northwest Athletic Conference team is watering it down. There's too many California teams that have fought hard to get there. Don't hand out berths just to make people feel good.

The only thing I would change in the women's side is try not to have league teams play each other. It's much more interesting when you get to test the waters against teams from different leagues, but I also get that they need to have the teams seated correctly. Again, no gimmes.

Comment

Worth noting that the women's West Regional was the only one where I correctly predicted all the seeds. There wasn't a whole lot of gray area.

Comment

Comment

WWU could've taken the 4 or 5 seed to be in the other side of the bracket. They certainly could've mixed things up with the seeding a little bit.

Comment

The GNAC was a missed jumper at the buzzer from the 9th and 10th place teams (the bottom 2) playing for the tournament championship. Amusing? Yes. Good for the conference? No. Despite WOU's run in the tourney, I'm for going back to 8 teams and punishing squads who don't care or didn't play well in the regular season. WOU had a 9-game (!!) losing streak in the middle of the conference season in a not very good conference. They shouldn't be rewarded for that. I never thought UAF was a last-place team, they are loaded with talent, but they also shouldn't be rewarded for massively underachieving this year. Despite the win in the tourney, it was a suck coaching job with a great low-post/D1 transfer, one of the top guards in the country, and a solid D1 transfer at forward. I'm not for the everyone-gets-a-trophy deal in NCAA sports. I'm hoping UAF makes me eat my words at regionals.

Bottom line, the GNAC needs to get better. The guy I voted for in the informal poll here for GNAC player of the year simply isn't that good. I saw him on video, wouldn't start for WOU's good teams in the last decade, no way; wouldn't start for many of the GNAC's good teams. This year might be a one-off because of the pandemic. I thought the league was weak and hope this year is an outlier.

With the exception of UAF's guys I mentioned above, most teams just don't have that superstar guy. NNU has some guys -- they don't have Ezekiel Alley or Adonis Arms, not close, though both those guys thrived at D1 this year. WWU has no one resembling Hommes; WOU has no one nearly as good as Omlid; St. Martin's has no Luke Chavez. I'll give CWU Xavier Smith credit, he's a good one, need more like him. MSU-Billings has no Howard type guy on their team.

I'm not sure D1 drop-downs are the answer, I hope the league doesn't became a place for the disgruntled D1 benchwarmers, but the talent needs to increase. Some how the GNAC and their respective schools need to get off their duffs and market their product. I read a post on a D1 board (WSU Cougars) and they showed WWU's half-court shot (where the guy travelled big time) to win a game. Everyone started asking about D2 ball and people were saying it sucked until a prep/AAU coach who posts said it's good basketball ... then of course people started talking about long bus rides and stuff. Who cares about that? The league needs to quit NOT marketing itself and be a destination spot for really good high school players in the Northwest.
              Last edited by tsull; 03-08-2022, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X