Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22-23 Recruiting Thread

I guess we will go ahead and get this started as with over 1000 transfers already in the D1/D2 portal and lots of roster spots to fill in the GNAC. Things are going to ramp up really quickly in the coming weeks.

Last edited by Anchorage; 04-02-2022, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Great pickup, nice to see him return home. Hey, what happened to Isiah Moses? I thought that was a great signing for UAA. Did he take off? I think you mentioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Great pickup, nice to see him return home. Hey, what happened to Isiah Moses? I thought that was a great signing for UAA. Did he take off? I think you mentioned it.
        Last edited by Anchorage; 04-02-2022, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Great info, sounds like a D1 talent. CSI is a pipeline to D1 schools, so he'll get some looks. Even their deep bench guys get D1 scholarships. Decades ago it became a school where D1 institutions placed their players. It's been that way ever since. He'll land D1 somewhere, and most all of their players get scholarships above the Big Sky level (no offense to the Big Sky).

Comment

Great info, sounds like a D1 talent. CSI is a pipeline to D1 schools, so he'll get some looks. Even their deep bench guys get D1 scholarships. Decades ago it became a school where D1 institutions placed their players. It's been that way ever since. He'll land D1 somewhere, and most all of their players get scholarships above the Big Sky level (no offense to the Big Sky).
            Last edited by Anchorage; 04-03-2022, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Comment

I may be old fashioned, but I like how UAA is bringing the hometown guys back. In Monmouth we've turned into the University of Northern California with pretty weak results.

Comment

I may be old fashioned, but I like how UAA is bringing the hometown guys back. In Monmouth we've turned into the University of Northern California with pretty weak results.

Comment

I would agree with this and I'm not against getting some out-of-state guys and at UAA they have to do that. WOU's best seasons had a core of strong in-state players, they've gone away from that to get out-of-state guys who really aren't that good or they wouldn't be 9-25 or whatever they were. We're WOU not UCLA. They've lost their identity. As noted, a key reserve, great academic guy from Roseburg just left. That's the kind of guy they should be keeping, not having them leave. I'm sure they'll replace him with the Texas JC dude, who may or may not have buy-in to the university, and certainly will be long gone after he graduates, never to be seen again.

It's not just basketball, but baseball had a recruiting class entirely out-of-state. Other sports are keen to get a marginal player -- and pay a lot for him/her -- from Seattle, who frankly isn't very good. Track had a world class distance guy from a tiny eastern Oregon town of Joseph. In-state athletes are out there if they look. Football does this the best and because of new membership into the tough Lone Star Conference and California having no D2 schools, it's wise to go to California for players. Men's and women's hoops, baseball, track, soccer, etc., have no excuse to continually ignore the state.

I also realize I'm the only fan posting on a message board on this or even caring. The coaches/admin do these things because they can and there's only one person mentioning it or paying attention. I doubt I'll move the needle.

Comment

I would agree with this and I'm not against getting some out-of-state guys and at UAA they have to do that. WOU's best seasons had a core of strong in-state players, they've gone away from that to get out-of-state guys who really aren't that good or they wouldn't be 9-25 or whatever they were. We're WOU not UCLA. They've lost their identity. As noted, a key reserve, great academic guy from Roseburg just left. That's the kind of guy they should be keeping, not having them leave. I'm sure they'll replace him with the Texas JC dude, who may or may not have buy-in to the university, and certainly will be long gone after he graduates, never to be seen again.

It's not just basketball, but baseball had a recruiting class entirely out-of-state. Other sports are keen to get a marginal player -- and pay a lot for him/her -- from Seattle, who frankly isn't very good. Track had a world class distance guy from a tiny eastern Oregon town of Joseph. In-state athletes are out there if they look. Football does this the best and because of new membership into the tough Lone Star Conference and California having no D2 schools, it's wise to go to California for players. Men's and women's hoops, baseball, track, soccer, etc., have no excuse to continually ignore the state.

I also realize I'm the only fan posting on a message board on this or even caring. The coaches/admin do these things because they can and there's only one person mentioning it or paying attention. I doubt I'll move the needle.
                      Last edited by Anchorage; 04-09-2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Good post and I don't think the program is a mess or the coaching staff is clueless. I think they're out-thinking it. I realize the entire coaching staff is from somewhere besides Oregon, they're recruiting connections are elsewhere. But the school is Western OREGON not Western California. I think the program -- at least last year -- has lost its identity. It should be a place for good Oregon preps to play ball. There's guys out there in-state, as proven in the last decade where the foundation of those winning teams were in-state guys. I think they should return to that, and of course don't completely ignore out-of-state. I think there's things they can do in getting in-state kids. This also goes for the entire school, which is struggling with enrollment, while the state keeps getting larger in population. A new president is going to be hired soon, I hope he looks first and foremost at enrollment.

I like coach Pifer, good guy and good coach. I think they've whiffed on their nation-wide recruiting and making it too complicated. There are others who share my views, they just don't post them on a message board.

Regarding Tobin, he got that Covid year and is using it and I'm guessing he probably got his degree at UAA. He was a good, committed UAA player. If I was a prep in the U.S., I'd think UAA or UAF would be neat places to play. Don't worry about the cold, spend your winter in the gym anyway. It's a beautiful state. Life is about adventure.

Comment

Many west coast teams including CWU, Point Loma, Concordia-Irvine, CS San Bernardino, and CS Dominguez Hills have offered San Diego City College's Jonathan Ogugua. Last season he averaged 17 ppg and 2.3 spg. https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jonathan-ogugua

Comment

https://twitter.com/landdeck1323/sta...xUU2l4_cg&s=19

EWU guard Mason Landdeck transferring to Hawaii Pacific. He prepped at Zillah HS but played his senior season in Utah during the pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                              https://twitter.com/landdeck1323/sta...xUU2l4_cg&s=19

EWU guard Mason Landdeck transferring to Hawaii Pacific. He prepped at Zillah HS but played his senior season in Utah during the pandemic.
                              He lit up the Washington State Cougars this year in Eastern's upset in Pullman. He struggled a little bit after that. Went to four high schools in 4 years, I'm guessing Hawaii Pacific won't be his last stop.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X