Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC Non Conference Schedule

As we have all learned in past seasons, the next three weeks are huge when it comes to making the Western Region NCAA Tournament. It sets the tone for the regional rankings for the rest of the year, a good showing by the conference can make or break a teams body of work to get in.

Here are the GNAC games vs other D2 Schools that will weigh heavily on the season ahead…

Friday Nov 11th

Holy Names vs MS Billings

CS San Marcos vs St Martins

CS Monterey Bay vs CWU

SPU vs Chico St

WWU vs Humboldt St

UAA vs Chaminade

CS San Bernardino vs WOU

CS Dominguez Hills vs SFU

Saturday Nov 12th

CS San Marcos vs MS Billings

SPU vs CP Pomona

CWU vs CS San Bernardino

WWU vs CS Dominguez Hills

CS Monterey Bay vs WOU

Holy Names vs St Martins

Humboldt vs SFU

UAA vs Hawaii Pacific

UAF vs Chaminade

Sunday Nov 13th

UAF vs Hawaii Pacific

Tuesday November 15th

UAA vs Hawaii Hilo

Point Loma vs NNU

Thursday Nov 17th

CWU vs CS San Marcos

NNU vs CS - Los Angeles

Friday Nov 18th

WWU vs Concordia-Irvine

WOU vs Stanislaus

UAF vs CS Monterey Bay

SPU vs Azusa

Saturday Nov 19th

UAF vs CS East Bay

CWU vs CS Los Angeles

WOU vs Sonoma

Concordia Irvine vs SPU

St Martins vs Westminster

WWU vs Azusa

Tuesday Nov 22nd

WOU vs W New Mexico

Wednesday Nov 23rd

MS Billings vs Black Hills

Friday Nov 25th

Westminster vs UAA

SFU vs Western State

UAF vs Texas AM International

Midwestern St vs CWU

ACA Arts vs St Martins

MS Billings vs SD Mines

Azusa vs NNU

Saturday Nov 26th

Tx AM international vs UAA

Azusa vs CWU

WWU vs Pt Loma

Westminster vs UAF

NNU vs Midwestern St

You can also find schedules at https://inkblotsports.com/d2stats/2223/mbb/gnac.html, though it's a bit unsightly at this awkward point where a few teams have begun playing but most teams have the same .000 numbers.

Comment

Thanks for the info, yes, important games already in the season. Hope WOU isn't as sloppy as they were in their exhibition game at Corban. That was discouraging. The team has talent, but basketball is beyond that. It's an odd team, they were pretty impressed with themselves in pre-game warmup dunks and once the ball tipped off they looked shocked Corban came out and put the pressure on. I really hope this casual take to the game was a one-off and that they come focused this week.

Comment

After last night I have it -

GNAC 10-9

Pac West 12-7

CCAA 8-14

CCAA with a rough start. GNAC hanging in at just over .500. Pac showing to be the power conference till this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorage View Post
          After last night I have it -

GNAC 10-9

Pac West 12-7

CCAA 8-14

CCAA with a rough start. GNAC hanging in at just over .500. Pac showing to be the power conference till this point.
          I have the CCAA at 9-15.

Comment

Check me if I’m wrong, as I kept getting pulled in other directions while compiling this but I have…

Against the West

GNAC 17-14
            PW 19-14
            CCAA 16-24

Against all D2’s

GNAC 19-14
            PW 20-16
            CCAA 17-28

Comment

I'm very pleased with WOU's quick regular season start. They looked shakey in their exhibition vs. an NAIA team, but coach Pifer seems to have put the pieces back together. Their front court is the best I've ever seen at the school with Cranston, Benzel, and Morrill-Keeler. Cranston had 20 vs. Arizona this year; and last week both Benzel and Morrill-Keeler had 100% shooting games, the latter also going 100% from the line the same game he was 100% from the field. It's early but they seemed to have picked it up, 3-1 vs. CCAA the last two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                I'm very pleased with WOU's quick regular season start. They looked shakey in their exhibition vs. an NAIA team, but coach Pifer seems to have put the pieces back together. Their front court is the best I've ever seen at the school with Cranston, Benzel, and Morrill-Keeler. Cranston had 20 vs. Arizona this year; and last week both Benzel and Morrill-Keeler had 100% shooting games, the latter also going 100% from the line the same game he was 100% from the field. It's early but they seemed to have picked it up, 3-1 vs. CCAA the last two weeks.
                WOU is looking really good, and the conference as a whole is holding up pretty well save for UAA’s disastrous Hawaii trip. This could be a deciding factor in the conference getting 3 teams into the West regional instead of 2 or even 1. As far as UAA goes, I don’t think their season is decided obviously but this team has got to get a lot tougher on the boards and have more composure down the stretch in games. Can’t continue to just give games away with terrible decisions in crunch time or playing so small they can’t grab a rebound. Losing the offensive rebound battles by 27 in 3 games that were all decided by 5 points or fewer? Inexcusable.

Comment

Just after I pumped them up, WOU goes and loses to Western New Mexico.

Get this: The attendance was listed as 20 (!!!) people in New Mexico. Holy cow, really, 20?!!!

That's just awful. D2 and small colleges have an attendance problem. WNMU couldn't find more than 20 people to attend their games? Wait a sec, let me guess: The school does zero marketing and outreach in their local community, like almost all western D2 teams.

Comment

We are basically at the end of the non-conference portion of the season. GNAC games start Thursday.

VS the West Teams only

GNAC 18-17
                    PW 26-19
                    CCAA 20-28
                    Last edited by Anchorage; 11-27-2022, 02:51 AM.

Comment

UAA finished up strong, struggling but pulling off a Win against winless Westminster 81-77. Then dismantling a previously unbeaten Tex AM-International squad, that had beaten #15 Colorado Mesa by double digits just last weekend, 65-48. UAA came out of nowhere to play one of the best defensive games I had seen them play in 10 years, frustrating the Dirtdevils with every possession with their trapping and scrambling defense. I don’t know if this was just a one off performance or if this team found something long term, but it was an impressive performance nonetheless. Senior guard DaZhon Wyche with 20 pts and a near triple double took home MVP of the Fairbanks tournament. UAF lost to Texas International on Friday before bouncing back on Saturday to keep Westminster winless.

Comment

Above correction: The WOU-WNMU game was played in front of 20 people in Phoenix, Arizona. Why they are playing in Phoenix I have no idea. Why they have to fly to Phoenix to play a team from New Mexico in front of 20 people might be the new definition of insanity. In football we have to fly to Texas just to play in a league. D2 is nuts and very anti-fan. I truly don't get the division.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                          Above correction: The WOU-WNMU game was played in front of 20 people in Phoenix, Arizona. Why they are playing in Phoenix I have no idea. Why they have to fly to Phoenix to play a team from New Mexico in front of 20 people might be the new definition of insanity. In football we have to fly to Texas just to play in a league. D2 is nuts and very anti-fan. I truly don't get the division.
                          Got my curiosity. In terms of this game, I see the following factors in play:

- School was out at WNMU all week. So maybe 20 fans in Silver City instead?
                          - WNMU has three players from the Phoenix area. Recruiting, baby
                          - Cheaper for WOU to fly to Phoenix than to fly to either Albuquerque or El Paso and then take a bit of a bus ride.
                          - A private facility that specializes in youth tournaments and is potentially cheaper to rent.

So I can kind of see where this came from. Maybe. I’m guessing.

As for the division, I do remember when Portland State was in it and there were always discussions about limiting scholarships because schools hanging on in the division wanted to reduce costs while living the dream of giving out scholarships, and, for instance, the Dakota schools always threatening to bolt because of those scholarship limitation threats. I’m surprised there’s 300 schools in this division, frankly, because it seems to me you have schools who would rather be close to home and not give athletic scholarships, then there’s the glory hunters and the big schools at the top level. In the USA, it’s always seemed like “go big or go home” was kind of the choice, no? Before D-2 and even 1-AA were conceived, it was just the university division and the college division. I’m not sure this part of the rock truly believes in a middle ground. Shrug.

Comment

Originally posted by Pounder View Post

Got my curiosity. In terms of this game, I see the following factors in play:

- School was out at WNMU all week. So maybe 20 fans in Silver City instead?
                            - WNMU has three players from the Phoenix area. Recruiting, baby
                            - Cheaper for WOU to fly to Phoenix than to fly to either Albuquerque or El Paso and then take a bit of a bus ride.
                            - A private facility that specializes in youth tournaments and is potentially cheaper to rent.

So I can kind of see where this came from. Maybe. I’m guessing.

As for the division, I do remember when Portland State was in it and there were always discussions about limiting scholarships because schools hanging on in the division wanted to reduce costs while living the dream of giving out scholarships, and, for instance, the Dakota schools always threatening to bolt because of those scholarship limitation threats. I’m surprised there’s 300 schools in this division, frankly, because it seems to me you have schools who would rather be close to home and not give athletic scholarships, then there’s the glory hunters and the big schools at the top level. In the USA, it’s always seemed like “go big or go home” was kind of the choice, no? Before D-2 and even 1-AA were conceived, it was just the university division and the college division. I’m not sure this part of the rock truly believes in a middle ground. Shrug.
                            OK, the average fan thinks this kind of scheduling is nuts. Just schedule D2 Academy of Art in San Francisco, maybe play Hayward or whatever they're called now and get two games. D2 is so crazy. In football, CWU lost to Montana a few years ago in football on a last-second field goal in front of 25,000 people. Montana went on to either win FCS that year or finish runner up or the semi-finals. They were given no credit in the computer system. And now flying to Phoenix to play a D2 game? It's just insane for the average fan. It's best to not think like an administrator. A good friend of mine, who was a fine baseball player at Western Oregon, couldn't believe they were in a Texas league for football.

I'll support the school no matter what division they're in, but the hoops they have to jump through just to stay in a division that no one knows about is nuts. When I was in college I saw WOU football games in Salem, McMinnville, Klamath Falls, and Forest Grove in addition to Monmouth. In hoops I saw numerous road games. Now I can barely see the team play. Yeah, D2 is freaking great.

It's insane the money they're pouring into D2 to play in front of 20 fans to meet some metric. But of course I'll be told by some administrator that the I'm wrong, a fan is wrong. WOU barely has fans, don't push them away.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X