Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night's games

I watched the Western Oregon-Alaska game last night, when I could stomach it. I kept leaving the broadcast because of the poor play by the Wolves. However, I will give Alaska serious credit as they move the ball really well, I like their point guard who understands how to get people open. Western Oregon's offense consists of people jacking threes and hoping they go in. I like our coach but I got to admit this was a horrific coaching job.

I still don't get how you can return almost your entire roster and add some good recruits and be horrible. This team at Western Oregon has no heart and I don't understand why the coaches can't get that turned around.

Wow, Saint's measured up to their record and picked the Nooks apart yesterday. It looks like the interesting games next week will be played at Western Oregon and at Saint Martin's as those schools host NNU and Central, (who beat Western again!). Lot's of implications in those four games next week. I hope Central can get at least one win next week, because they would beat WWU in a tie breaker for that 6th spot, right?

Comment

Somehow Western Oregon beat UAA in Anchorage after laying a complete egg in Fairbanks. Don't understand this team and I also don't know why one of their best players Collins, didn't make the trip. I've got to remember that sports information does a great job, but they are not obligated to tip off injuries or why people miss games.

Comment

I don't think WOU layed an egg in Fairbanks; I think Fairbanks played really well and even though Cranston still got 18, they really made it hard for him and he never could get going. It's also true that a lot of teams have a harder night on Thursday when in Alaska because they are still dealing with travel weariness. Neither Alaska school is great this year, but it is still tough for most teams to deal with the long flights that the Alaska players get more accustomed to with all their practice at it. Fairbanks matched up well with WOU both games this season and UAA didn't match up with them as well, so I was not surprised to see WOU eek it out in Anchorage either.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
          Somehow Western Oregon beat UAA in Anchorage after laying a complete egg in Fairbanks. Don't understand this team and I also don't know why one of their best players Collins, didn't make the trip. I've got to remember that sports information does a great job, but they are not obligated to tip off injuries or why people miss games.
          same old story for UAA. Rusty decided long ago he doesn’t like his big men so he just played small and WOU ground it out down the stretch. Bigs started to dominate so UAA collapses the paint and that leaves shooters open and the other team finds it easy to attack down the stretch. WOU followed the script perfectly. Also with zero post/paint presence, teams push out on UAA guards and takes away the 3 and the offense bogs down completely. It becomes Viney just attacking the paint and that’s its own adventure. I like Lachlan but for every good play he makes, and he does make some nice plays, he makes a bad turnover or blows the layup to counter it. UAA in the end just wasn’t very good this year and even though I saw talent in their big guys, Rusty just was going to do things his own way. Which was very limited and very predictable. WOU did exactly what they needed to do to beat this UAA team and Cranston was just dominant hitting shots and taking advantage of getting Smurf guards switched on to him.

Comment

Man. UAF was missing two of their starters today in Billings and it was a sorta sloppy first half and they got down by a bunch but brought it back and ended up down by 3 with a minute to go, then they hit a 3 with like 30 seconds to go to tie it, then our PG steals it from their PG near half court and gets a lay up so we are up by 2 with 8 seconds left... Then Billings hits a 3 with a second left to escape by 1. Sheesh. Not sure my blood pressure will come down before midnight!

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
              Man. UAF was missing two of their starters today in Billings and it was a sorta sloppy first half and they got down by a bunch but brought it back and ended up down by 3 with a minute to go, then they hit a 3 with like 30 seconds to go to tie it, then our PG steals it from their PG near half court and gets a lay up so we are up by 2 with 8 seconds left... Then Billings hits a 3 with a second left to escape by 1. Sheesh. Not sure my blood pressure will come down before midnight!
              Wow, great effort by UAF.

Comment

Central stays hot, upsetting 1st place SMU on the road to clinch a spot in the GNAC Tourney!

Comment

Great -- and surprising -- win by CWU over St. Martin's in Lacey. WOU wins rugged game at home vs. NNU. Played well down the stretch, clinched league playoff berth. UAA joins UAF in losing by only 1 on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                    Great -- and surprising -- win by CWU over St. Martin's in Lacey. WOU wins rugged game at home vs. NNU. Played well down the stretch, clinched league playoff berth. UAA joins UAF in losing by only 1 on the road.
                    Wow! Great job by Central and WOU! Was cheering for them both. The Alaska schools just didn't quite have it tonight, but man, the effort was there! Great night of games highlighting the messy, but exciting play of the GNAC this year!

Comment

WWU misses out on the tournament...that their school is hosting this year!!! I don't know the last time CWU made the postseason and WWU did not.

Comment

Not that it makes any difference in whether they would've qualified for the tournament or not, but does anyone know what bylaw the UAA men violated? If you look at the GNAC standings page, there is a notation that the UAA team will be assessed a percentage penalty for violation of a GNAC bylaw. ??? That is pretty unusual to have it show up in the standings.

Comment

I believe that the penalty that the GNAC is assessing to UAA is related to the player that lost eligibility recently (I think he was their top scorer and a starter through this season). From what I read, it looks like the penalty is related to UAA having played the player while knowing he was not eligible to be playing. "Anchorage" has written about this player having used too many years of eligibility and the NCAA cracking down on that - I suspect this is related to the same player and situation. I don't know much of the specifics, but the issue has been brought up here on previous threads if you're looking for more info.

Congrats to CWU on making the tournament and sweeping WWU this season. Not the turnout Alaska fans were hoping for last night, but I still enjoy the end of year games that make this league fun to follow!

Comment

Fairly certain it was the Wyche situation.

Comment

Wow, CWU's hot streak continues as they hit a buzzer beater against WOU! The teams play each other again in the first round of the GNAC Tournament

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X