Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 Regionalization

I've, pretty much, been against this since D2 implemented it.

Today, viewing the leaderboard to see how the GSC teams were doing in the golf nationals, I saw how Regionalization looks at the finals of several sports.

Florida Southern leads at -24 followed by three other Florida teams. In 20th (last) place is Roberts Wesleyan College +69.

Almost 100 strokes difference. Nasty.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Re: D2 Regionalization

Did RWC develope a case of the shanks or something??

Comment

Its hard to get good at golf when the courses are under 3 feet of snow until mid-April. RWC is north of Buffalo NY, basically on the shores of Lake Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
        Its hard to get good at golf when the courses are under 3 feet of snow until mid-April. RWC is north of Buffalo NY, basically on the shores of Lake Ontario.
        No disrespect to them. Really. It's just obvious that the model leaves some really good teams at home over some that probably shouldn't be there. It happens in football but not on the level it does in some other more seasonal sports. You're exactly right about their access, etc. I realize.

But, for example, in golf only about half of the 20 teams at the national tournament are ranked in the Top 25.

http://results.golfstat.com//public/...team&tid=14616
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I understand the complaint. It's hard not to, when I come as a supporter of a NSIC school, which easily is in the toughest region in volleyball. But the fact is, travel budgets in D2 are not what they are in D1. And there's also not a great way to compare regions to one another because there's so little crossover.

Part of me wonders if there'd be a way to do another split somewhere, somehow. Another level to where you can more easily weed out the weaker teams before you get to the national tournament and before more of the good teams get eliminated.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
            In 20th (last) place is Roberts Wesleyan College +69.
            Nice.

Comment

Close ... Roberts Wesleyan is located in Rochester, N.Y., which is about an hour or so east of Buffalo, but you're correct about it being close to Lake Ontario. But, still, pretty much all of Upstate New York between Buffalo and Syracuse gets whacked hard in the winter.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Its hard to get good at golf.
                Fixed your post!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                  I understand the complaint. It's hard not to, when I come as a supporter of a NSIC school, which easily is in the toughest region in volleyball. But the fact is, travel budgets in D2 are not what they are in D1. And there's also not a great way to compare regions to one another because there's so little crossover.

Part of me wonders if there'd be a way to do another split somewhere, somehow. Another level to where you can more easily weed out the weaker teams before you get to the national tournament and before more of the good teams get eliminated.
                  If a school considers itself to be above the hoi polloi of DII...maybe it should consider stepping up to D1 rather than expecting DII to change to meet it's expectations. DII is about regionalization...Don't believe in regionalization, go D1.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                    Did RWC develope a case of the shanks or something??
                    it's called the yips

Comment

This is an interesting read from last year: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...r_20170413.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        If a school considers itself to be above the hoi polloi of DII...maybe it should consider stepping up to D1 rather than expecting DII to change to meet it's expectations. DII is about regionalization...Don't believe in regionalization, go D1.
                        Don't forget "get off my lawn!"

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                          Close ... Roberts Wesleyan is located in Rochester, N.Y., which is about an hour or so east of Buffalo, but you're correct about it being close to Lake Ontario. But, still, pretty much all of Upstate New York between Buffalo and Syracuse gets whacked hard in the winter.
                          I suppose I was a bit imprecise. I should have said "north east of" or "farther north than" Buffalo.

Comment

I suppose I was a bit imprecise. I should have said "north east of" or "farther north than" Buffalo.
                            Meh, close enough. That whole corridor from Buffalo to Syracuse might as well be a blur to me anyway...
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                              Don't forget "get off my lawn!"
                              Your right...better to have DII change to meet the desires of a few than to have these few actually go to a level that adheres to what they want. Some want to not just tell their neighbors what type of grass to grow on their lawn, but how often to mow it and which fertilizer to use.
                              Last edited by boatcapt; 06-02-2018, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X