Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There's the B1G, and then there is everyone else

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    Actually the commish has a soft spot for his alma mater, North Carolina. He'd love to get UNC, Duke and/or Georgia Tech into the Big Ten as well.
    I've heard that. Somehow there is a connection between Purdue and Georgia Tech also. Not sure what. They had talked about geographic continuity with Maryland and Rutgers bordering Pennsylvania. Georgia Tech and North Carolina would violate that rule unless they also took Virginia. Also, AAU standing seems to be important to the BIG- and Nebraska HAD been in the AAU but were dismissed on a rather odd ruling about medical school that I didn't understand but possibly someone could explain to me.

Comment

Actually the commish has a soft spot for his alma mater, North Carolina. He'd love to get UNC, Duke and/or Georgia Tech into the Big Ten as well.
      I'll take Duke in the Big ten

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
        It helps that the BIG now covers 6 very large TV markets while the other conferences do not.

New York
        Philadelphia
        Baltimore
        Washington
        Detroit
        Chicago

Add in they have the whole state of Ohio in focus too.....

Which is likely the only reason Rutgers and Maryland were invited to join. Old say ... location, location, location.

Nebraska was always a natural fit. Maryland and Rutgers will never win anything in football but they fill their purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          I would say that the SEC has that title. And I live in BIG country.
          In terms of dollars, the B1G rules by a long shot.

Comment

Well they went 7-1 in bowls this past season, so certainly those dollars are making a difference. Look at the B1G's bowl records 5 years ago. They were lucky to win a couple.

That being said, in the grand scheme, winning is good, but dollars are better. Maryland, Rutgers, and Nebraska are not as competitive as they were in their former conference days, but they aren't going back - the move to the B1G has been a financial windfall for all.

These schools are now able to hire SEC-level coaching staffs - Harbaugh, Meyer, Frost, Franklin, Chryst - heavyweight coaches there. And the next level below them - Dantonio, Fitzgerald, Ferentz - aren't too shabby either.

Next few years will be interesting as the haves separate further from the have-nots. But look for OU and UT to eventually end up in the B1G.
            Last edited by Herb Street; 07-06-2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I've heard that. Somehow there is a connection between Purdue and Georgia Tech also. Not sure what. They had talked about geographic continuity with Maryland and Rutgers bordering Pennsylvania. Georgia Tech and North Carolina would violate that rule unless they also took Virginia. Also, AAU standing seems to be important to the BIG- and Nebraska HAD been in the AAU but were dismissed on a rather odd ruling about medical school that I didn't understand but possibly someone could explain to me.
              The B1G won't add anyone further from the ACC. There's no one from the ACC that brings compelling added value to the conference in terms of media. If they wanted good football they would have gone after Florida State or Clemson. If they wanted good basketball, they would have poached NC or Duke. That's not what the B1G wanted. They wanted big media markets.

They won't add any SEC schools. But they are holding two spots for OU and Texas you can count on it.
              Last edited by Herb Street; 07-08-2018, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
                  So why would the B1G want OU? Package deal with Texas?
                  Because. Oklahoma.

Comment

The med school is a separate campus/school within the university system. That's a big reason for the drop.

As far as OU goes, the Big Ten would take a big, name brand football school in a heartbeat whether they are AAU members or not

Comment

The med school is a separate campus/school within the university system. That's a big reason for the drop.

As far as OU goes, the Big Ten would take a big, name brand football school in a heartbeat whether they are AAU members or not
                      OU has AAU aspirations and has made substantial progress toward that goal. And you better believe the BIG would take one of the Blue Bloods of college foootball with or without AAU membership.

Comment

The B1G is an athletic conference, and they desire to be the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL/Olympics of college sports. They are well on their way.

The B1G isn't concerned about OU's AAU status. The conference already has a media deal that's 30 percent higher than the SEC. When the B1G bags OU and Texas, it's "game over" for everyone else. Maybe not from a competitive standpoint right away, but within a decade, no one would even be close. Players want to play in the biggest stadiums, go to school at the best campuses, and be on national TV every week throughout the fall. They want to go where they get treated like kings and queens. Schools with $52 million annual TV revenue do that better. Even Purdue.

Oh and I live in SEC country and hate the Sooners and Whorns both. But reality is reality. The train left the station a few years back.
                        Last edited by Herb Street; 07-08-2018, 06:41 AM.

Comment

The ACC (which has large broad metro markets such as Florida / Miami - Florida State, Boston, Atlanta, New York, North Carolina / UNC - NC State- Duke - Wake Forest, Virginia / UVA - VA Tech, Pittsburgh, Louisville, 1/2 of SC, with Clemson). and other prime football conferences (SEC) are also negotiating new media deals, so we haven't seen a max plateau of deals as of yet. The SEC and ACC are ranked as the two top conferences in the nation in sending players to the NFL.

On a side note, Notre Dame is aligning themselves with the ACC and that may develop even more in the future, which could effect future media $$$ deals.

Comment

The ACC is in fourth place among the Power 5 conferences in media payouts - averaging from $25-30 million per year per program. That is anywhere from 40 to 50 percent less than the B1G, depending on which ACC school you're looking at.

While they are indeed in some major media markets technically, there's not enough panache to have any hope of closing that gap. Georgia Tech, Syracuse, and Pitt are in major markets but have a poor following. Clemson and Florida State are national brands for sure. VA and VA Tech are quite regional. Duke only brings basketball to the table, and almost the same for NC, NC State, and Wake - just not a lot of national interest there.

I don't see Notre Dame hitching their wagon to any conference, but if they did, it would be the B1G, and for the same reason that Texas and OU will in a few years. Dollars.

In terms of conference competitiveness, that is another issue entirely. But as the dollars begin to shift to the richest conference, competitiveness is also inevitably shifting, as it always does in the world of sports. He who has the gold rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                              The ACC is in fourth place among the Power 5 conferences in media payouts - averaging from $25-30 million per year per program. That is anywhere from 40 to 50 percent less than the B1G, depending on which ACC school you're looking at.

I don't see Notre Dame hitching their wagon to any conference, but if they did, it would be the B1G, and for the same reason that Texas and OU will in a few years. Dollars.
                              The very recent B1G media contract is nice, but it's going to be one of many announced in the near future, and it wouldn't surprise me to see some conference's media deals surpass the latest B1G one. However, for the time being, it's worth gloating about;)

In reference to Notre Dame, they have already successfully hitched their wagon to the ACC as a conference member for all sports other than football, and they are presently scheduling 4 to 6 ACC teams on their football schedule each season. Their alliance to the ACC is getting pretty strong, and in their new media deal, if the ACC ends up being able to offer more than 15 million per year (their present NBC contract through 2025) they could also bring their football program into the fold.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

While they are indeed in some major media markets technically, there's not enough panache to have any hope of closing that gap. Georgia Tech, Syracuse, and Pitt are in major markets but have a poor following. Clemson and Florida State are national brands for sure. VA and VA Tech are quite regional. Duke only brings basketball to the table, and almost the same for NC, NC State, and Wake - just not a lot of national interest there.

In terms of conference competitiveness, that is another issue entirely. But as the dollars begin to shift to the richest conference, competitiveness is also inevitably shifting, as it always does in the world of sports. He who has the gold rules.
                                Weather and population trends are a factor too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X