Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There's the B1G, and then there is everyone else

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    Actually...Texas and Oklahoma wouldn't be bad additions to the BIG. They would slot in nicely in the West division and Purdue would slide over to the East.

East
    Penn State
    Maryland
    The State University of New Jersey ( Opps I mean Rutgers)
    The Overrated State University
    Meatchicken
    Meatchicken State
    Indiana
    Purdue

West
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    Northwestern
    Illinois
    Nebraska
    Iowa
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Texas won't go to B1G. Texas will push for SEC. Also being a Nebraska fan... Screw Texas, they'd ruin the B1G.

Comment

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post
      Texas won't go to B1G. Texas will push for SEC. Also being a Nebraska fan... Screw Texas, they'd ruin the B1G.

Comment

Do you think A&M would not fight a Texas/SEC move?

Comment

I don't see Alabamastan or A&M wanting them in SEC.

The SEC should take in West Virginia. They already have the Hatfields in Kentucky so why not take in the McCoys that is West Virginia.

Then there could be a Hillbilly Bowl every season when the Wildcats take on the Mountaineers.

Comment

Ohio State and Michigan would pretty easily tell Texas to piss off if they get pushy about demands. They'll end up playing from Halloween to the end of the regular season up north in such locations such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, and Iowa. Let them suck on that for a while and see how much they like that. Hell, push the Big Ten enough and they might just take the Oklahoma schools and look at one of the other Texas schools to cut the Big 12 off at the knees.

Comment

Texas and OU can go to whatever conference they wish. It would be beneath Texas to go to the SEC, which they perceive as a deep-south NASCAR conference. Big cultural difference. That doesn't fit with UT's image. The PAC couldn't offer enough dollars. The ACC is all east schools - I don't see any fit there.

As for OU, I don't see them going anywhere without Texas.

It will be the B1G for OU and Texas or they will stay in the Big 12 and run their own conference. There are definite benefits to that, but the dollars aren't there for media payouts long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                Texas and OU can go to whatever conference they wish. It would be beneath Texas to go to the SEC, which they perceive as a deep-south NASCAR conference. Big cultural difference. That doesn't fit with UT's image. The PAC couldn't offer enough dollars. The ACC is all east schools - I don't see any fit there.

As for OU, I don't see them going anywhere without Texas.

It will be the B1G for OU and Texas or they will stay in the Big 12 and run their own conference. There are definite benefits to that, but the dollars aren't there for media payouts long term.
                You are correct that Texas and OU can go to any conference they choose, just not on any terms they choose. I doubt any major conference would allow Texas to exercise the degree of control they have had over the Big 12. You are also correct about UT not being a good cultural fit with the SEC, at least in their opinion. They imagine themselves above the SEC academically. I reality, Texas would rank fourth in the SEC in academics, per USNWR.
                Last edited by catatonic; 07-13-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by catatonic View Post
                  You are correct that Texas and OU can go to any conference they choose, just not on any terms they choose. I doubt any major conference would allow Texas to exercise the degree of control they have had over the Big 12. You are also correct about UT not being a good cultural fit with the SEC, at least in their opinion. They imagine themselves above the SEC academically. I reality, Texas would rank fourth in the SEC in academics, per USNWR.
                  The big question is what happens to the remaining 8 Big 12 schools when Texas and OU bolt. I suppose they could stick with 8 - the Big 8 certainly did it for years. But would it be in the P5 mix? And the media payout per school - that would be cut dramatically - Texas Tech and KU would probably bring more to the media value than any of the remaining schools, and that's not saying a whole lot. North Texas and SMU might be the most logical invitees. At least they would bring additional media to the table as well as some cross-town rivalries.

Right now Texas and OU get about $34 mil per year each in media revenue. Nice, but that's a full 35 percent less than the B1G schools. $18 million per year, $180 million over ten years. That's a lot of dough. If they bolted to the B1G, they would add such value to the B1G that the payouts would likely adjust to $60 mil per school rather quickly.

So OU and UT will have to decide which they want - control or money. I think their desire to dance on the big stage every week on network TV, and add another $25 mil to the bottom line each year, will have them moving to the B1G as the Grant of Rights expires in 2025. But look for an announcement well before that - likely 2 full years before that - coinciding with the B1G's next round of media negotiations.
                  Last edited by Herb Street; 07-13-2018, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                    The big question is what happens to the remaining 8 Big 12 schools when Texas and OU bolt. I suppose they could stick with 8 - the Big 8 certainly did it for years. But would it be in the P5 mix? And the media payout per school - that would be cut dramatically - Texas Tech and KU would probably bring more to the media value than any of the remaining schools, and that's not saying a whole lot. North Texas and SMU might be the most logical invitees. At least they would bring additional media to the table as well as some cross-town rivalries.
                    The musical chairs game of who does the Dozen minus Duece invite if that would happen would have to start with Houston. Maybe BYU & Cincinatti.

Personally I'm against having conferences with three time zones because I like them to be for all sports- and that kind of travel poses problems.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                      The musical chairs game of who does the Dozen minus Duece invite if that would happen would have to start with Houston. Maybe BYU & Cincinatti.

Personally I'm against having conferences with three time zones because I like them to be for all sports- and that kind of travel poses problems.
                      Without Texas and OU the B12 becomes a mid major conference no matter who they add.

Comment

BIG won't take Texas in the short term because Texas doesn't think it has to play by the same rules.

The whole reason the Big 12 blew up and Nebraska left is Texas screwed everyone.

Now, if Texas agrees to be a team player like the BIG requires. great fit. Good in all sports and huge market. But, I don't see it happening.

Comment

Related to this. nebraska is lucky Texas was such a jerk. Made nebraska make the move which has been great. And now with Frost, they'll be a major player as soon as 2019.

Already better in hoops,

Volleyball remains great. Such a win - thank you Texas!

Comment

I remember when I heard rumors about Mizzou wanting to get into the BIG. I thought that would make a good choice to bring the conference to twelve members and two divisions. Suddenly out of nowhere Nebraska pops up and says "How would you like to take me to Prom?" The BIG couldn't believe what they were hearing and of course said why not? Adding the Huskers has been a great move for the BIG and a good move for Nebraska. Frost is going to get things turned around- Pederson was the one who screwed things up there, not the move to the BIG.

I was working basketball camp at Maryland when their were rumors going around about a move for the Terps. Students and coaches around there were excited about it. I was kind of surprised- after all of those decades in the ACC- the geographical proximity- I thought that there would be more negativity. Nope- this was a great opportunity and they took it, along with the money.

I'm not sure what the next move will be. Sometimes the best move that you make is the one that you didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                              I remember when I heard rumors about Mizzou wanting to get into the BIG. I thought that would make a good choice to bring the conference to twelve members and two divisions. Suddenly out of nowhere Nebraska pops up and says "How would you like to take me to Prom?" The BIG couldn't believe what they were hearing and of course said why not? Adding the Huskers has been a great move for the BIG and a good move for Nebraska. Frost is going to get things turned around- Pederson was the one who screwed things up there, not the move to the BIG.

I was working basketball camp at Maryland when their were rumors going around about a move for the Terps. Students and coaches around there were excited about it. I was kind of surprised- after all of those decades in the ACC- the geographical proximity- I thought that there would be more negativity. Nope- this was a great opportunity and they took it, along with the money.

I'm not sure what the next move will be. Sometimes the best move that you make is the one that you didn't.

And sometimes the move you make depends on circumstances at the time. Mizzou wound up in the SEC but really preferred the BIG. The SEC preferred OU but wound up with Mizzou because the SEC really needed a second school to come on board with TAMU and OU was would only come with OSU whereas Mizzou had no such demand.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                                Related to this. nebraska is lucky Texas was such a jerk. Made nebraska make the move which has been great. And now with Frost, they'll be a major player as soon as 2019.

Already better in hoops,

Volleyball remains great. Such a win - thank you Texas!
                                agree that frost will have Nebraska legit in no time..durkin is already well on his way to making Maryland dramatically bettet....the big 10 just keeps getting stronger

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X