• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catatonic
    replied
    Re: There's the B1G, and then there is everyone else

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
    So why would the B1G want OU? Package deal with Texas?
    Because. Oklahoma.

Leave a comment:

• RedFromMI
    replied

Originally posted by laker View Post
    I've heard that. Somehow there is a connection between Purdue and Georgia Tech also. Not sure what. They had talked about geographic continuity with Maryland and Rutgers bordering Pennsylvania. Georgia Tech and North Carolina would violate that rule unless they also took Virginia. Also, AAU standing seems to be important to the BIG- and Nebraska HAD been in the AAU but were dismissed on a rather odd ruling about medical school that I didn't understand but possibly someone could explain to me.

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

I've heard that. Somehow there is a connection between Purdue and Georgia Tech also. Not sure what. They had talked about geographic continuity with Maryland and Rutgers bordering Pennsylvania. Georgia Tech and North Carolina would violate that rule unless they also took Virginia. Also, AAU standing seems to be important to the BIG- and Nebraska HAD been in the AAU but were dismissed on a rather odd ruling about medical school that I didn't understand but possibly someone could explain to me.
    The B1G won't add anyone further from the ACC. There's no one from the ACC that brings compelling added value to the conference in terms of media. If they wanted good football they would have gone after Florida State or Clemson. If they wanted good basketball, they would have poached NC or Duke. That's not what the B1G wanted. They wanted big media markets.

They won't add any SEC schools. But they are holding two spots for OU and Texas you can count on it.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 07-08-2018, 06:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

Well they went 7-1 in bowls this past season, so certainly those dollars are making a difference. Look at the B1G's bowl records 5 years ago. They were lucky to win a couple.

That being said, in the grand scheme, winning is good, but dollars are better. Maryland, Rutgers, and Nebraska are not as competitive as they were in their former conference days, but they aren't going back - the move to the B1G has been a financial windfall for all.

These schools are now able to hire SEC-level coaching staffs - Harbaugh, Meyer, Frost, Franklin, Chryst - heavyweight coaches there. And the next level below them - Dantonio, Fitzgerald, Ferentz - aren't too shabby either.

Next few years will be interesting as the haves separate further from the have-nots. But look for OU and UT to eventually end up in the B1G.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 07-06-2018, 09:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

I would say that the SEC has that title. And I live in BIG country.
    In terms of dollars, the B1G rules by a long shot.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    It helps that the BIG now covers 6 very large TV markets while the other conferences do not.

New York
    Philadelphia
    Baltimore
    Washington
    Detroit
    Chicago

Add in they have the whole state of Ohio in focus too.....

Which is likely the only reason Rutgers and Maryland were invited to join. Old say ... location, location, location.

Nebraska was always a natural fit. Maryland and Rutgers will never win anything in football but they fill their purpose.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    Actually the commish has a soft spot for his alma mater, North Carolina. He'd love to get UNC, Duke and/or Georgia Tech into the Big Ten as well.
    I'll take Duke in the Big ten

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    Actually the commish has a soft spot for his alma mater, North Carolina. He'd love to get UNC, Duke and/or Georgia Tech into the Big Ten as well.

Leave a comment:

• wscsuperfan
    replied

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
    That may be true, but the Big Ten Commissioner does have a blatant soft spot in his heart for Michigan and Ohio State.

Leave a comment:

• wscsuperfan
    replied

Originally posted by JeffConn View Post
    Won't happen as long as the Longhorn Network is still a thing.
    LHN hasn't been as profitable as ESPN hoped. I could see them backing out of that deal after the contract is up. Or, as much eyeballs and revenue the state of Texas would bring to the B1G (or any league), I could see a conference buying out the LHN contract (if its permissible).

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied

The SEC has sent the most players to the League for 12 consecutive years. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ces/562237002/

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    After the Grant of Rights expires in the Big 12, you'll see Texas and OU go to the B1G. It will give the B1G a southern footprint that they desire, and clout to negotiate a further blockbuster TV deal. When that happens, look for the next round of TV deals to generate $75-80 million per B1G school. In the B1G, every school has a seat at the table. There isn't one school making all the rules while everyone else falls in line.

It will essentially be the NFL of college football.

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied

After the Grant of Rights expires in the Big 12, you'll see Texas and OU go to the B1G. It will give the B1G a southern footprint that they desire, and clout to negotiate a further blockbuster TV deal. When that happens, look for the next round of TV deals to generate $75-80 million per B1G school. In the B1G, every school has a seat at the table. There isn't one school making all the rules while everyone else falls in line.

That may be true, but the Big Ten Commissioner does have a blatant soft spot in his heart for Michigan and Ohio State.

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X