X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humboldt State will discontinue after 2018 season

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    They would have to be private schools.

I think of Redlands, Cal Lutheran, Occidental.

The list:

https://www.fieldlevel.com/explore-t...ball/ca/ncaad3
    Generally speaking, D2 is no-man's-land for private schools. They tend to be either D3 or D1.

Comment

Good grief.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
        Generally speaking, D2 is no-man's-land for private schools. They tend to be either D3 or D1.
        The NSIC has 5 out of 16 members that are private schools.

Augustana
        Concordia
        Mary
        Sioux Falls
        Upper Iowa

Comment

Varies by location. In PA 23 D2 schools are split 14 public and 9 private. Actually it's 13 and 9 now that CHEYNEY has opted out.

Comment

I know the hot rumor has been that the remaining GNAC football teams are being offered a scheduling alliance with the LSC, but I wonder of the RMAC might make a run for at least (or as many as) three of the four GNAC schools to get them to 14 for football.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
              They would have to be private schools.

I think of Redlands, Cal Lutheran, Occidental.

The list:

https://www.fieldlevel.com/explore-t...ball/ca/ncaad3
              I doubt Oxy goes DII. Their noses are too far into the air to be associated with a classification that is mostly regional publics.

Comment

That's a bit of an mis-characterization. Of the 168 schools that played DII football in the 2017 season, 69 were private. That's 41%. Two publics have dropped football making it 42% for the 2018 season. They're the minority, yes, but I'd hardly say it qualifies as "no-man's land".

Two conferences have only publics playing football (LSC and RMAC) but two also are all privates (GMAC and SAC).

Comment

You'd think a school drooping football would be on the home page of D2football.com and not just a thread on its message board.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                    You'd think a school drooping football would be on the home page of D2football.com and not just a thread on its message board.
                    I don't know if it wasn't there 2 hours ago, but right now it is the pictured story. It has one from the local news detailing how HSU lied by not counting 80k that the GNAC was willing to give to help keep the program.

Comment

"Humboldt State is the only university in the system that is not turning away students. By cutting football, they'll lose another 200 students. There's 100 players, plus all the girlfriends, and the friends, and people that come to Humboldt because it's a football school."

I wonder how that goes over in northern California.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                        Varies by location. In PA 23 D2 schools are split 14 public and 9 private. Actually it's 13 and 9 now that CHEYNEY has opted out.
                        That is true. The Northeast-10 has 15 private schools to just 1 public school. They were originally formed as a non-scholarship D2 conference, thus all the private schools.

Dropping football sucks. New Haven dropped after the 2003 season (it wasn't easy being an Independent program) and they even played for the national championship not too long before that. They were fortunate enough to have a bulldog AD and a president who both raised enough money to re-start the program in 2009. Beating on the NE10's doors until they let them in didn't hurt either. Money and persistence are the keys to keeping these programs alive.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
                          That is true. The Northeast-10 has 15 private schools to just 1 public school. They were originally formed as a non-scholarship D2 conference, thus all the private schools.

Dropping football sucks. New Haven dropped after the 2003 season (it wasn't easy being an Independent program) and they even played for the national championship not too long before that. They were fortunate enough to have a bulldog AD and a president who both raised enough money to re-start the program in 2009. Beating on the NE10's doors until they let them in didn't hurt either. Money and persistence are the keys to keeping these programs alive.
                          New Haven had to schedule a number of NCC teams because they were an independent. MSU and St Cloud for sure, plus some others. MSU took the trip out there- Coach Runkle arranged it so they could see a number of historical sites on the way.

I sent a congratulations to the AD when they announced that they were restarting football. I hate it when someone drops the sport, it is great when they bring it back.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                            New Haven had to schedule a number of NCC teams because they were an independent. MSU and St Cloud for sure, plus some others. MSU took the trip out there- Coach Runkle arranged it so they could see a number of historical sites on the way.

I sent a congratulations to the AD when they announced that they were restarting football. I hate it when someone drops the sport, it is great when they bring it back.
                            That was the best thing about being independent- seeing teams from anywhere. It was also the biggest problem, with all the traveling. I kind of wish they could have scheduled a western or midwestern team this year, but they ended up scheduling a D1 team in Bryant.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              That's a bit of an mis-characterization. Of the 168 schools that played DII football in the 2017 season, 69 were private. That's 41%. Two publics have dropped football making it 42% for the 2018 season. They're the minority, yes, but I'd hardly say it qualifies as "no-man's land".

Two conferences have only publics playing football (LSC and RMAC) but two also are all privates (GMAC and SAC).

Comment

And the SAC is adding a public (UVA-Wise) in the future...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X