Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 1 - Composite Rankings

Cross posting this from MIAA forum

Not a lot of movement; as is expected after little upset excitement happened across the D2 landscape. The top 8 remain the same although a few teams just swapping places, Minnesota State and Grand Valley swapping 5th and 8th most notable. NW Mo overtakes Commerce for #1 overall composite due to Commerce drop in the Bennett ranking, which to me is understandable due to the double OT it took them to get a win over Kingsville (who was 4-7 last year).

OH Dominican had the largest rise with a win of California (PA) they moved from 31st in composite (and not ranked in D2) to moving up to 21st as they've garnered attention in both voter polls this week. On the flip side Assumption drops 13 spots from being ranked 16th in the composite to barely making my criteria of being ranked in the top 25 in any poll hitting 25th in the Bennett after a loss to Kutztown, which really isn't that big a loss to start the season as the KU of D2 has been pretty good for a few years. The only other big move was Central Washington dropping 7 spots after a loss to FCS Eastern Washington. While losing to ranked E. Washington wouldn't normally cause a head scratching but that loss was by 45, I personally thought they'd stay within 10 most the game. Disappointingly enough I watched the game, and it wasn't even as close as the 45 point difference.

Fun to me, everybody basically agrees Harding should be ranked 7th which would still only be 5th best in Region 3. The human polls like CSU-Pueblo at this time while the computers really do not. Pueblo will have a few opportunities coming up to move up in the computers once they play a few opponents; Commerce & Mesa St. namely.
    Falling out after week 1 activity: Lindenwood (lost to Washburn), Virginia St. (lost to FCS Norfolk St.), Carson-Newman (lost to West Florida), Delta St. (lost to Tarleton St.), Shepherd (lost to Notre Dame (OH)), and Azusa-Pacific which actually had an uninspiring win over W Texas A&M and thus lost ground in the Massey computer poll and no longer being top 25 in any of the 4 polls. I look for them to rejoin next week.
    Newcomers to the composite West Chester lands at 23rd with a win over Bentley, MN-Duluth at 25th with a win over Minot, Valdosta gets in with a top 25 spot in Massey and Mesa getting a nod from AFCA.

and google maps of teams making the composite ranking

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X