Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell us a bit about your conference

Back when I had time to check out all the forums, I was able to have a more complete picture of DII, now I don't have a clue until playoff time. I'm figuring if I can get a few folks from each conference to hang out in the general discussion forum we can all learn more about DII. Afterall what is common knowledge to guys in the GSC forum would be news to guys right next door in the SAC.

There may be another place on the forum that has this info if not let me begin:

Gulf South Conference is in Super Region 2
    GSC Football (including affiliate members) has teams from Florida (2), Georgia (3), Alabama (1), Mississippi (2), South Carolina (1)
    One of our historically better teams University of North Alabama (UNA) left last year for D1
    UNA along with Delta State & Valdosta State have won a combined 7 national championships
    University of West Georgia & University of West Alabama have been the better teams over the past few years
    Florida Institute of Technology (FIT) started football in 2013
    University of West Florida (UWF) in 2016 and made it to the championship game last year

This is mostly from memory so GSC'ers please feel free to correct me. Everyone else let's hear about your forum.

Re: Tell us a bit about your conference

Northern Sun- NSIC. Region 4

16 teams located in Minnesota-9, Iowa-1, Nebraska-1, North Dakota 2, South Dakota 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northe...ate_Conference

https://www.northernsun.org/

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      Northern Sun- NSIC. Region 4

16 teams located in Minnesota-9, Iowa-1, Nebraska-1, North Dakota 2, South Dakota 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northe...ate_Conference

https://www.northernsun.org/
      I'm familiar with Mankato & Duluth, are there any other really good teams? I believe Augustana has made some noise?

Funny story, I'm from the Bahamas and in 2012 when Valdosta played Mankato in the semifinals, I happened to be in Northfield visiting a fellow VSU Alumn. The trip was planned months in advance so to be so close by on game day, I thought was an amazing coincidence. I don't remember why we never made the drive to the game, it must have been the weather, I do recall it was really cold.

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
        I'm familiar with Mankato & Duluth, are there any other really good teams? I believe Augustana has made some noise?

Funny story, I'm from the Bahamas and in 2012 when Valdosta played Mankato in the semifinals, I happened to be in Northfield visiting a fellow VSU Alumn. The trip was planned months in advance so to be so close by on game day, I thought was an amazing coincidence. I don't remember why we never made the drive to the game, it must have been the weather, I do recall it was really cold.
        It was about 29 without too much wind. We would have been better off if it had snowed. The next day there was 18 inches of snow about 30 miles away. I live 70 miles from Mankato so I probably couldn't have gotten out of my driveway. We had a ten point lead and then things came apart.

Sioux Falls has been tough since they came into the league in 2012. Winona has beaten MSU two of the last three years. Bemidji is probably the second best team in the north now that St. Cloud has fallen off.

Comment

I happened to be in Northfield cold.
          Visiting Carleton, St. Olaf, or the Malt O'Meal cereal plant?

This is where the citizens fought back against Jesse James and the rest of the bank robbers.

Comment

All you need to know about the RMAC is Danny Woodhead.

Comment

Visiting Carleton, St. Olaf, or the Malt O'Meal cereal plant?

This is where the citizens fought back against Jesse James and the rest of the bank robbers.
              Visiting a college mate, he's a retired Air Force Major. Beautiful country, we've been meaning to go back, DW & I love snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                All you need to know about the RMAC is Danny Woodhead.
                LOL, I'll see you a Dusty Bonner & Raise you a Malcolm Butler

Comment

Visiting a college mate, he's a retired Air Force Major. Beautiful country, we've been meaning to go back, DW & I love snow.
                  Really nice town, two D3 colleges, not far from the Twin Cities but no box stores. I could almost handle living there.

Comment

LOL, I'll see you a Dusty Bonner & Raise you a Malcolm Butler
                    Have either of them won the Harlon Hill 12 years straight and running? NO.

Comment

Really nice town, two D3 colleges, not far from the Twin Cities but no box stores. I could almost handle living there.
                      If there were mountains it would be ideal for us.

Comment

Great Northwest Athletic Conference is in SR4
                        We are the only conference in the West Region that plays football, and are hanging on by a thread.
                        Five teams currently, going to be four come November when Humboldt State pulls the plug.
                        We have the only Canadian member of the NCAA in Simon Fraser (just outside Vancouver)
                        Central Washington was a player on the national stage about 10 years ago and was our representative in the playoffs last year, falling to the eventual champs in overtime.
                        Azusa Pacific moved up from the NAIA in 2012 and has adjusted pretty well, winning the league three times already. Their shortest road trip in conference is a 670-mile drive to Humboldt State, which is a longer trip than to the closest football school from the RMAC (Dixie State) AND the Lone Star (Western New Mexico).
                        Western Oregon is a solid program, usually around .500. They rarely threaten for the title, but are often good enough to spring an upset or two.

The two things we always talk about in our section of the board are our weekly pick'em and the dearth of other football programs out west.

Comment

Originally posted by SGAstumpJ View Post
                          Great Northwest Athletic Conference is in SR4
                          We are the only conference in the West Region that plays football, and are hanging on by a thread.
                          Five teams currently, going to be four come November when Humboldt State pulls the plug.
                          We have the only Canadian member of the NCAA in Simon Fraser (just outside Vancouver)
                          Central Washington was a player on the national stage about 10 years ago and was our representative in the playoffs last year, falling to the eventual champs in overtime.
                          Azusa Pacific moved up from the NAIA in 2012 and has adjusted pretty well, winning the league three times already. Their shortest road trip in conference is a 670-mile drive to Humboldt State, which is a longer trip than to the closest football school from the RMAC (Dixie State) AND the Lone Star (Western New Mexico).
                          Western Oregon is a solid program, usually around .500. They rarely threaten for the title, but are often good enough to spring an upset or two.

The two things we always talk about in our section of the board are our weekly pick'em and the dearth of other football programs out west.
                          Although we don't have the long trips the GSC currently has no prospects for expanding its seven team conference plus two football affiliates.

Our time is spent primarily on our pick'um, breaking down the previous weeks games and prognosticating the next. It's an interesting mix of previously successful teams and newly successful teams. I'ts very competitive in that there are only two teams that have never won the conference, well three now with the addition of North Greenville this year.

Comment

Shameless Bump :disapointed: Maybe we could revive this topic during the playoffs, right now it seems everyone is hunkered down in their conference forums

Comment

Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association is in SR2
                              We have historically been in SR2, but we spent about a decade in SR1 since the conference extends from SC to PA.
                              We are one of two Historically Black Colleges and University - based conferences in D-II
                              Our most competitive teams are good to spring an upset or two every couple of years
                              Sadly, we are normally considered towards the bottom in conference rankings, but we are improving every day.
                              We are proud to have been a conference that competed in the National Championship game this decade
                              Hoping to be the home of this year's Harlon Hill Winner

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X