Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't 4 losses disqualify a team from the playoffs?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shouldn't 4 losses disqualify a team from the playoffs?

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
    I agree that three loss teams should not be touched and I'm sure there's an exception where a 4 loss team has won a first or even second round game but I just believe that a 2 loss team from a tough region is more deserving than a 4 loss team from another region. The earned access rule is kinda arbitrary so how about we tweak such that:

If a 7th place team in any region has 4 losses and has not earned placement by earned access, such a team is superseded by a team from another region ranked 8th with 2 or less losses.

A tiebreaker would have to be established for instances where there are more than one such teams.
    In college football the regular season is the playoffs(doesnt mean im a fan of fbs system).

With regionalization the best 7 teams from each region play each other to advance to a national semifinal.

If a team is not good enough to be ranked in the top 7 of their region then why should they displace a team from another region?

Often times rankings are not accurate, espsially national ones. Regional committees are made up of members from their region, they know the schools they are compairing. It is not a national process. If it did switch to a national process you would have upstart teams being left at home with a better record vs a school with better name recognition.

Case in point Harding getting in over GVSU.
    On a national poll GVSU gets in every time over harding.

If we are going to talk about ammending things, last year 4 2 loss teams were left out in SR4, why should a 3 loss team be getting in over them. Commerce won the Natty and all but 1 game in Region 4 was very competitive.

Regionalization works. But if the big conferences keep their Silo Scheduling they need to go to 8 teams and no bye week for number 1 to help make sure we get every team with a shot in the po's.
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
      I agree that three loss teams should not be touched and I'm sure there's an exception where a 4 loss team has won a first or even second round game but I just believe that a 2 loss team from a tough region is more deserving than a 4 loss team from another region. The earned access rule is kinda arbitrary so how about we tweak such that:

If a 7th place team in any region has 4 losses and has not earned placement by earned access, such a team is superseded by a team from another region ranked 8th with 2 or less losses.

A tiebreaker would have to be established for instances where there are more than one such teams.
      Boohaha beat me to it, but with silo scheduling its hard to tell that one conference or region is down and another up. Another issue is travel expense and the lack of ability for some teams to travel out of region if they make the playoffs as a "stronger" team.

While the system isn't perfect I think it gets it right about 95% of the time which I will happily take.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post
        Boohaha beat me to it, but with silo scheduling its hard to tell that one conference or region is down and another up. Another issue is travel expense and the lack of ability for some teams to travel out of region if they make the playoffs as a "stronger" team.

While the system isn't perfect I think it gets it right about 95% of the time which I will happily take.
        WAY WAY better than FBS 4 team crap.

Seriously after the talent UCF put in the draft last year folks dont think those boys could not have had a legit shot at beating Bama?

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

Seriously after the talent UCF put in the draft last year folks dont think those boys could not have had a legit shot at beating Bama?
          Well, Boise State had no chance of beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl either. WAC as a conference was worse than the AAC and it was easy to notice the year the WAC and MWC both had undefeated teams they didn't want either against a Power 5 school as TCU and Boise State played eachother.

You are right, D2's system is a whole lot better even if the best 2 teams also ranked #1 and #2 are in the same SR like in 2009. It's a shame that game wasn't shown to a national audience, as it was the best of the playoffs that year.

Comment

Just no....and I hate Bama.

Comment

Has there been an instance of a four loss team making the playoffs?

Region 4 may have a one loss team that has a +35 point margin per game in D2 not make the playoffs.

In 2010, CWU has 2 D2 losses. One to Humboldt which only had two losses, and one to eventual champ UMD. they also lost to eventual FCS champ EWU, 35 - 31. Should they have been in?

It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                Has there been an instance of a four loss team making the playoffs?

Region 4 may have a one loss team that has a +35 point margin per game in D2 not make the playoffs.

It is what it is.
                35 point margin vs high school teams..... Humbolt and simon fraser are not d2 programs.....UTPB beat humbolt by 21 utpb is going to win 2 maybe 3 games this year.

If CWU doesnt make it they have no one but themselves to blame, they should have known as weak as their schedule is they had to win ALL their games.

In the GLVC Miss S&T has played a much tougher schedule has 1 loss to a 1 loss team in conference and they arent even top 10 in their region. With several 2 loss teams ahead of them.

CWU is lucky to even have a chance, and if they get in without another midwestern or Commerce loss it will be because the committee does not want to leave a conference out.
                Only reason CWU is even going to be able to claim wins vs a +.500 program is cause Azusa is not hot garbage (not at all humbolts fault) like most the rest of Gnac.

Seriously you guys amaze me how effectively you all pick up the victim banner despite playing the least challenging schedule in the history of D2. You get 2 games this year vs a team that is in its last season, 2 more vs a team that has yet to win a d2 game, despite the fact that they get to play humbolt twice this year also!

Comment

For whatever it's worth, Massey has CWU's SOS at 47th in the country, ENMU is at 28th. Higher than I'd have guessed for CWU for sure. Missouri S&T is 78th.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                    For whatever it's worth, Massey has CWU's SOS at 47th in the country, ENMU is at 28th. Higher than I'd have guessed for CWU for sure. Missouri S&T is 78th.
                    How in the hades is it that high with 2 winnless teams and 1 team with 2 wins?

Comment

Let's say that a four loss team does make it in to the playoffs this year. How often has that happened in the past? Is this just a one off? Unfortunately you will have years of a one off, three or four loss team making the playoffs, but on the flip-side you will have years when one or two loss teams are left out of the playoffs. Is it a perfect world? Of course not. However, when you have limited budgets with D2 teams, you need to be more regional.

Comment

How in the hades is it that high with 2 winnless teams and 1 team with 2 wins?
                        Most likely Massey is taking Eastern Washington into account.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                          Most likely Massey is taking Eastern Washington into account.
                          Well.....huh.

Comment

The D2 situation out west is different than what I'm used to. If an MIAA team schedules crap games, they screwed themselves. Out west the teams are so far apart that it has to be tough to get games.

Comment

Oh....I thought this was a Ferris State thread.

Comment

The answer is no. A 7 win team that played 11 in region games can and has made the playoffs in the past. SOS and head to head wins are considered. Bottom line is schedule and play 11 in region games for the greatest likelihood of making the playoffs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X