Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't 4 losses disqualify a team from the playoffs?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shouldn't 4 losses disqualify a team from the playoffs?

Originally posted by chargerblue View Post
    Oh....I thought this was a Ferris State thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
      In college football the regular season is the playoffs(doesnt mean im a fan of fbs system).

With regionalization the best 7 teams from each region play each other to advance to a national semifinal.

If a team is not good enough to be ranked in the top 7 of their region then why should they displace a team from another region?

Often times rankings are not accurate, espsially national ones. Regional committees are made up of members from their region, they know the schools they are compairing. It is not a national process. If it did switch to a national process you would have upstart teams being left at home with a better record vs a school with better name recognition.

Case in point Harding getting in over GVSU.
      On a national poll GVSU gets in every time over harding.

If we are going to talk about ammending things, last year 4 2 loss teams were left out in SR4, why should a 3 loss team be getting in over them. Commerce won the Natty and all but 1 game in Region 4 was very competitive.

Regionalization works. But if the big conferences keep their Silo Scheduling they need to go to 8 teams and no bye week for number 1 to help make sure we get every team with a shot in the po's.
      Harding did not get in over GV because of a regional poll. After all, two of the regional committee members were from the GLIAC.

Harding got in because they had the better resume when the selection criteria were applied.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
        Harding did not get in over GV because of a regional poll. After all, two of the regional committee members were from the GLIAC.

Harding got in because they had the better resume when the selection criteria were applied.
        I agree with that, it is what i was getting at and what helped was that it was a Regional committee. If it was based on a national poll or committee im willing to bet Harding gets left home.

I did not mean to imply they got in on a regional poll.
        I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

I agree with that, it is what i was getting at and what helped was that it was a Regional committee. If it was based on a national poll or committee im willing to bet Harding gets left home.

I did not mean to imply they got in on a regional poll.

Comment

true, but i doubt the national committee would ever not go with the regional suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
              I agree that three loss teams should not be touched and I'm sure there's an exception where a 4 loss team has won a first or even second round game but I just believe that a 2 loss team from a tough region is more deserving than a 4 loss team from another region. The earned access rule is kinda arbitrary so how about we tweak such that:

If a 7th place team in any region has 4 losses and has not earned placement by earned access, such a team is superseded by a team from another region ranked 8th with 2 or less losses.

A tiebreaker would have to be established for instances where there are more than one such teams.
              Three-loss teams should be considered if there are fewer than seven teams with two or fewer losses who'd otherwise qualify for the playoffs. That's where the slope starts to get a little slippy.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
                Actually it's just the opposite. It's not about us getting in, VSU didn't deserve to be in last year (5-4). I was just thinking, we know R1 & R2 are weaker, so a 4 loss team from one of these regions is going nowhere. They should be replaced with a team from R3 or R4 that has a realistic shot at a NC. We have the earned access exception, why not EA 2.0, this would make up for the region strength and number of teams disparity.
                But why? I don't recall any 4 loss teams actually getting selected although I guess there could be a EA team that made it in with 4 losses. It seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...Might as well say a team can't be selected if they have fewer than 5 wins or maybe can't be selected if their offense averages fewer than 10 points per game (OR their defense gives up more than 50 PPG).

If we assume that 4 loss teams getting into the playoffs is actually a problem and it starts actually effecting teams, the easy button for teams would be to schedule fewer games...Fewer games would probably equal fewer losses. 11 game 7-4 record gets a team automatically disqualified but if that team plays 8 games and finishes 5-3, they keep their eligibility for post season consideration.

Comment

true, but i doubt the national committee would ever not go with the regional suggestion.
                  According to a HC, there was at least one instance were the National Committee returned the Regional Committee selections to them telling them that they did the selections "wrong" and that they should give a particular selection criteria more emphasis. The Regional Committee did and came up with new playoff selections which the National Committee accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    But why? I don't recall any 4 loss teams actually getting selected although I guess there could be a EA team that made it in with 4 losses. It seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...Might as well say a team can't be selected if they have fewer than 5 wins or maybe can't be selected if their offense averages fewer than 10 points per game (OR their defense gives up more than 50 PPG).

If we assume that 4 loss teams getting into the playoffs is actually a problem and it starts actually effecting teams, the easy button for teams would be to schedule fewer games...Fewer games would probably equal fewer losses. 11 game 7-4 record gets a team automatically disqualified but if that team plays 8 games and finishes 5-3, they keep their eligibility for post season consideration.
                    You have to play a minimum of 10 games to get in the POs. Waivers have been granted in the past for cancelled games, but there is a minimum standard in place to prevent your scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
                      You have to play a minimum of 10 games to get in the POs. Waivers have been granted in the past for cancelled games, but there is a minimum standard in place to prevent your scenario.
                      Yes but only 8 games v DII opponents to qualify for playoff selection. At least according to this: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...s_20170912.pdf

Comment

OK...7-3 vs 7-4. That 11'th game removed this notional team from playoff consideration.

Comment

See my edit to this post. Only need 8 games vs DII opponents to qualify for playoff selection.

Not saying other factors (SOS, etc) wouldn't come into play but at least a team doing this wouldn't automatically be disqualified.

I've also seen three loss teams jump two loss ones.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 10-30-2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

In 1993, Texas A&M Kingsville got into the playoffs with a 5-5 record by virtue of winning the Lone Star Conference with a 5-0 record in conference play. They made it to the semis and finished 7-6.

Comment

According to a HC, there was at least one instance were the National Committee returned the Regional Committee selections to them telling them that they did the selections "wrong" and that they should give a particular selection criteria more emphasis. The Regional Committee did and came up with new playoff selections which the National Committee accepted.
                              1 time, we dont know the circumstances or which criteria.

Comment

1 time, we dont know the circumstances or which criteria.
                                A second coach told me that it had to do with two loss University of Charleston and a couple of three loss teams from another conference. As was related to me, the Regional Committee originally selected UC over one of the two three loss teams. The National Committee returned the selection to the Regional Committee with instructions to more strongly consider a particular criteria but ONLY with regard to UC and this particular three loss team. Regional Committee "got the message" and revised their selection eliminating UC and adding this three loss team.

I'm sure this is the ONLY time the National Committee has "stepped in!" :wink:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X