Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't 4 losses disqualify a team from the playoffs?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't 4 losses disqualify a team from the playoffs?

Are super region boundaries sacrosanct? Couldn't a 2 loss team that would miss the playoffs because their region has seven teams with 1 or fewer losses, replace a 4 loss team from another region?

As much as we talk about silos and weak vs strong super regions, I'm wondering why wins and losses are not more important than super region boundaries. I don't mind earned access (even the cruel top 10 version) but what I believe is worst, is a team from a weak region getting in the playoffs with 4 losses while a 2 loss team, that has a realistic shot at winning the NC, has to sit it out.

This coming from a supporter of a team in one of the weaker conferences.

Re: Shouldn't 4 losses disqualify a team from the playoffs?

Huh. What a thought. I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up and discussed like a zillion times already.

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
      Are super region boundaries sacrosanct? Couldn't a 2 loss team that would miss the playoffs because their region has seven teams with 1 or fewer losses, replace a 4 loss team from another region?

As much as we talk about silos and weak vs strong super regions, I'm wondering why wins and losses are not more important than super region boundaries. I don't mind earned access (even the cruel top 10 version) but what I believe is worst, is a team from a weak region getting in the playoffs with 4 losses while a 2 loss team, that has a realistic shot at winning the NC, has to sit it out.

This coming from a supporter of a team in one of the weaker conferences.
      Regionalization is one of the core concepts of the division:

It's not always fair, and it's definitely not changing. They've made small adjustments in recent years (re-seeding the elite eight/final four, depending on the sport once they get to a final site), but to win in D2, you have to be the best team in your region. The way it has. The way it is. The way it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
        Huh. What a thought. I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up and discussed like a zillion times already.
        Would that discussion have been in the general forum, I didn't take part in it but I would like to see everyone's thoughts, could you put a link or search suggestion here, that enable me to find those threads?

Comment

Sure. 4 loss team should be disqualified. But I don't think this is a huge problem as most 4 loss teams are eliminated by natural selection. I'm sure there are a couple of cat/dogs out there that have made it into the playoff field with 4 losses but I would imagine not many.

If you did disqualify four loss teams from consideration, why would the replacement need to come from another region? Seems like every year each region has some good 2 or 3 loss teams that didn't get selected. Seems like the best answer would be to move those team(s) up rather than going out of region to get someone else's 2 or 3 loss team.

Comment

Last year SR4 had 4 2 loss teams get left at home.

If you dont want to get left at home win.
            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
              Last year SR4 had 4 2 loss teams get left at home.

If you dont want to get left at home win.
              Agreed, now stop complaining about getting left out last year. :smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                Im not complaining, just pointing out facts that are sometimes hard to take, even for me!

Comment

Actually it's just the opposite. It's not about us getting in, VSU didn't deserve to be in last year (5-4). I was just thinking, we know R1 & R2 are weaker, so a 4 loss team from one of these regions is going nowhere. They should be replaced with a team from R3 or R4 that has a realistic shot at a NC. We have the earned access exception, why not EA 2.0, this would make up for the region strength and number of teams disparity.

Comment

Actually it's just the opposite. It's not about us getting in, VSU didn't deserve to be in last year (5-4). I was just thinking, we know R1 & R2 are weaker, so a 4 loss team from one of these regions is going nowhere. They should be replaced with a team from R3 or R4 that has a realistic shot at a NC. We have the earned access exception, why not EA 2.0, this would make up for the region strength and number of teams disparity.
                    Look who I quoted, my response has nothing to do with you.

Long story short, to answer your question, is that it is all about money and travel. Over I think now 600 miles (was 500) and the NCAA pays for flights, you think they care enough to fly Colorado Mines out to play West Georgia? No.

Comment

Harding last year was a 3 loss team, from what is considered historically a poor performing conference.

Tread into treacherous waters when we start doing things like that.

only way to change things up is to rank teams 1-28 tgen regionalize after. This would still give problems, as there are several "top 25" teams that are ranked by past reputation instead of current reality.

Comment

What if every Conference was balanced
                        Example: 10 teams
                        Top 5 teams all with 4 losses
                        Bottom 5 teams all with 6 losses

Or if every team in a Conference had the same record and their winning percentage was 50%

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                          Harding last year was a 3 loss team, from what is considered historically a poor performing conference.

Tread into treacherous waters when we start doing things like that.

only way to change things up is to rank teams 1-28 tgen regionalize after. This would still give problems, as there are several "top 25" teams that are ranked by past reputation instead of current reality.
                          If Harding had lost to Indy in the first game, that would have looked bad. However, making it all the way to the semis, all on the road, made the committees decision look pretty smart.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtedBearcat View Post
                            If Harding had lost to Indy in the first game, that would have looked bad. However, making it all the way to the semis, all on the road, made the committees decision look pretty smart.
                            I think that was his point.

Comment

I think that was his point.
                              I agree that three loss teams should not be touched and I'm sure there's an exception where a 4 loss team has won a first or even second round game but I just believe that a 2 loss team from a tough region is more deserving than a 4 loss team from another region. The earned access rule is kinda arbitrary so how about we tweak such that:

If a 7th place team in any region has 4 losses and has not earned placement by earned access, such a team is superseded by a team from another region ranked 8th with 2 or less losses.

A tiebreaker would have to be established for instances where there are more than one such teams.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X