3 Minn. Duluth 9-0 9-0
    4 Colo. Sch. Of Mines 9-0 9-0
    5 Colorado St.-Pueblo 8-1 8-1
    6 Tex. A&M-Commerce 5-2 7-2
    7 MSU Texas 5-2 6-2
    8 Central Wash. 7-1 7-1
    9 Azusa Pacific 6-2 6-2
    10 Chadron St. 6-2 6-2

The question I have is are there any teams outside of the top 10 in the region that could sneak into the playoff positions?

I could see Ashland being in position to make a move in SR3. They would need a lot of help and would need to help themselves a ton by beating GVSU on the road. They won't get much from beating a bad NMU team in week 11, but if ODU and IUP win out, both of them likely finish top 10 in SR1 with 2 loss records. A win over GVSU would make three games vs 2 loss teams, plus a game against a likely unbeaten Ferris team. They would likely need teams 7-10 to one game to have a shot.

The teams ranked 7-10 are:

7) Ft. Hayes St who plays NWMSU this week.

8) Pittsburg St. who plays Washburn (4-5) and a 1 win Missouri Southern team.

9) Harding: Plays SE Oklahoma (5-4) and Arkansas Tech. SE Oklahoma is an interesting team in that they did hand S. Arkansas their lone loss of the season.

10) Missouri S&T (1 loss) - Still plays Truman St and McKendree. Those are both potential losses.

There is one other team that I think may be subject to dropping behind Ashland is Ashland wins out. Southern Arkansas. They likely suffer a loss this week to Ouachita Baptist, dropping them to the 2 loss group.

Finally there could be the issue if Ashland beats GVSU does the selection committee take Ashland over GVSU with a GVSU home loss to Ashland? This would put a three loss team over a 2 loss team, but the 3 loss would have head to head.

What about other regions.

I think they would need a lot of help, but I don't think IUP is completely out of the hunt in SR1. Ironically it could be a Ashland win over GVSU that would help and hurt IUP's playoff chances. It would help because IUP beat Ashland, but it would hurt because one of the teams ahead of IUP is ODU, who also beat Ashland. I think IUP's chances to make the post-season would require SRU to lose to both Gannon and West Chester (PSAC Title Game), Tiffin to beat Hillsdale, and Fairmont St and Kutztown to both lose one game along the way.

I don't see anyone outside the top 10 in either SR2 or SR4 jumping in from outside the top 10. The one issue I see with SR4 is does the earned access allow for a team from a 5 team (GNAC) conference to get in? Currently C. Washington is the highest GNAC team at 8th. I don't know that any teams ranked ahead of them will lose. Mines may have the best chance to lose, but even if they do I don't see a lone loss Mines team dropping below C. Washington or 2 loss TAMUC and Midwestern teams.

Comment

Re: regional ranking 10/29/18

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
      The question I have is are there any teams outside of the top 10 in the region that could sneak into the playoff positions?

I could see Ashland being in position to make a move in SR3. They would need a lot of help and would need to help themselves a ton by beating GVSU on the road. They won't get much from beating a bad NMU team in week 11, but if ODU and IUP win out, both of them likely finish top 10 in SR1 with 2 loss records. A win over GVSU would make three games vs 2 loss teams, plus a game against a likely unbeaten Ferris team. They would likely need teams 7-10 to one game to have a shot.

9) Harding: Plays SE Oklahoma (5-4) and Arkansas Tech. SE Oklahoma is an interesting team in that they did hand S. Arkansas their lone loss of the season.

10) Missouri S&T (1 loss) - Still plays Truman St and McKendree. Those are both potential losses.

There is one other team that I think may be subject to dropping behind Ashland is Ashland wins out. Southern Arkansas. They likely suffer a loss this week to Ouachita Baptist, dropping them to the 2 loss group.

Finally there could be the issue if Ashland beats GVSU does the selection committee take Ashland over GVSU with a GVSU home loss to Ashland? This would put a three loss team over a 2 loss team, but the 3 loss would have head to head.

I think they would need a lot of help, but I don't think IUP is completely out of the hunt in SR1. Ironically it could be a Ashland win over GVSU that would help and hurt IUP's playoff chances. It would help because IUP beat Ashland, but it would hurt because one of the teams ahead of IUP is ODU, who also beat Ashland. I think IUP's chances to make the post-season would require SRU to lose to both Gannon and West Chester (PSAC Title Game), Tiffin to beat Hillsdale, and Fairmont St and Kutztown to both lose one game along the way.

I don't see anyone outside the top 10 in either SR2 or SR4 jumping in from outside the top 10. The one issue I see with SR4 is does the earned access allow for a team from a 5 team (GNAC) conference to get in? Currently C. Washington is the highest GNAC team at 8th. I don't know that any teams ranked ahead of them will lose. Mines may have the best chance to lose, but even if they do I don't see a lone loss Mines team dropping below C. Washington or 2 loss TAMUC and Midwestern teams.
      GNAC is not eligible for EA.

Comment

Last year Pueblo was #11 in the rankings on the final week but got a miracle and got in due to EA (Colorado Mesa was #8) and had the same record as Mesa but beat Mesa to sneak into the playoffs.

Comment

IUP's SOS will strengthen and Fairmont's will soften, so IUP may not need them to lose.
          Slippery Rock's a game ahead and also has head-to-head, so I agree they'd need two losses.
          Hillsdale's SOS will go through the roof - Tiffin and Indianapolis - so they'd need to lose both.
          But IUP's loss to California puts them at a common opponents deficit to both Kutztown and Ohio Dominican.

Shepherd might actually currently be #11

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
            Last year Pueblo was #11 in the rankings on the final week but got a miracle and got in due to EA (Colorado Mesa was #8) and had the same record as Mesa but beat Mesa to sneak into the playoffs.
            Somewhat true, 2 games went their way on the final day as well as them winning their final game. They didn't beat Mesa to sneak into the playoffs though. They beat Mesa in week 5. Mesa lost to Azusa the last week of the season or they get in, ENMU lost their last game to Midwestern or they would have been in, Duluth was the other team that had a chance and they are likely who got bumped from #7 due to EA. CSUP played Mankato much closer on the road than Duluth played them at home so I would say it was likely a decent selection to have taken Pueblo.

Comment

How do you know they were #11?

Comment

If Carson-Newman takes down Lenoir-Rhyne this week, and TCOB against Pembroke they could sneak in. Especially if UWF and VUU keep winning. If they beat LR and LR loses to Catawba the next week, I think the Eagles would get in over the Bears possibly via EA.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                  Somewhat true, 2 games went their way on the final day as well as them winning their final game. They didn't beat Mesa to sneak into the playoffs though. They beat Mesa in week 5. Mesa lost to Azusa the last week of the season or they get in, ENMU lost their last game to Midwestern or they would have been in, Duluth was the other team that had a chance and they are likely who got bumped from #7 due to EA. CSUP played Mankato much closer on the road than Duluth played them at home so I would say it was likely a decent selection to have taken Pueblo.
                  I meant to say Pueblo beat Mesa during the season and not the last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
                    How do you know they were #11?
                    Last year I saw poster Causal_Observer had a computer messey ranking of the top 15 in SR4. Tho of official to the ncaa RR, it showed Pueblo at #11. UMD was 7, Mesa was 8, humboldt st was 9 and forgot who was 10.

Comment

Last year I saw poster Causal_Observer had a computer messey ranking of the top 15 in SR4. Tho of official to the ncaa RR, it showed Pueblo at #11. UMD was 7, Mesa was 8, humboldt st was 9 and forgot who was 10.
                      ENMU.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                        ENMU.

Comment

They lost their last game, as did Mesa, and Humboldt. None can blame anyone but themselves really.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X