Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Agreed but how much less could they be taxing their students if they dropped football down to FCS?
    I suppose that would depend on how much more their budget is, how manym students there are, and how many more donation dollars are rolling in

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

D2 is taxing students every bit as much as the rest...
      MSU-Mankato isn't. I was just at a meeting on Wednesday. I didn't get an exact figure but they are no where near charging the students the max. If they did they could have about a million and a half more revenue.

Comment

Agreed but how much less could they be taxing their students if they dropped football down to FCS?
        It wouldn't surprise me if GNAC schools pay more on travel for football than do Big Sky or Pac-12 schools. First is that trip to SFU, but that really isn't adding on much. The difference is the GNAC schools having to play multiple games in Texas starting next year, although this year WOU does have two trips to Texas. It is hard to find close teams to play when there is a state buffer between any of your schools and out of conference teams and all 4 are in different states/provinces.

I know this isn't the case on the East Coast, but it is the reality of D2 football now on the Pacific Ocean.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Nicholls State went to the playoffs the past two seasons and making it to the second round last year. I think they came close to beating Georgia a few seasons back as well.

Comment

...or D3?

Comment

Comment

Well they're non-scholarship in football....

Comment

It may be piling on, but how about Wagner,?!

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

Maybe they hope to fill the void left by UCONN if they decide to cut football lol
                      Why wouldn't UCONN join the CAA like VILLANOVA. Really geographically tight competitive league. Everything else BIG EAST. Seems like a natural fit.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Why wouldn't UCONN join the CAA like VILLANOVA. Really geographically tight competitive league. Everything else BIG EAST. Seems like a natural fit.
                        Personally don't think UConn would move to FCS like Idaho was willing to do. People on other boards I frequent have suggested that if they can't find a new FBS conference home in the next handful of years, UConn would rather shut down the program and add (NCAA level) Men's Lacrosse in it's place.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I agree with 4 tats and I don't think UCONN will drop all the way back to their old FCS conference. Especially considering when the Big East sponsored football they were part of a BCS conference and made it to the Fiesta Bowl one year. I think that would be a far drop for them to go all the way back to FCS. Personally with all the Mid Atlantic and Northern ACC and Big Ten schools I think they could string together some decent schedules as an independent.

I will say that I think UMass is more likely to move back down. The MAC gave them an ultimatum of join for all sports or drop the associate membership for football, and they decided they'd rather be in the A10. I can't see them wanting to leave the A10 basketball so it wouldn't surprise if they go back to the CAA and try to restore their FCS football glory.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

I agree with 4 tats and I don't think UCONN will drop all the way back to their old FCS conference. Especially considering when the Big East sponsored football they were part of a BCS conference and made it to the Fiesta Bowl one year. I think that would be a far drop for them to go all the way back to FCS. Personally with all the Mid Atlantic and Northern ACC and Big Ten schools I think they could string together some decent schedules as an independent.

I will say that I think UMass is more likely to move back down. The MAC gave them an ultimatum of join for all sports or drop the associate membership for football, and they decided they'd rather be in the A10. I can't see them wanting to leave the A10 basketball so it wouldn't surprise if they go back to the CAA and try to restore their FCS football glory.
                            Still puzzles me why UCONN figures it's more big time than NOVA, also from the BE, and certainly more successful than the HUSKIES in both football and basketball as of late.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I think the perception you're portraying here is the problem. It shouldn't be national title or bust in every sport for these schools. SDSU might not be "competitive" with the likes of Duke and UNC in men's basketball, but they've still made the NCAA Tournament in 4 of the last 8 seasons. I would hardly call that pointless, even if they haven't advanced far in the tournament. There's good money for these schools in the national tournaments that makes being Division I worthwhile if they can get there on a regular level.
                              I can understand why you interpreted what I wrote that way, but it isn't true. I don't believe it should be "title or bust"...BUT, I do believe that being able to be truly competitive in a real way should be attainable. Fine, SDSU made the tourney a few times...no, not "pointless", but the reality is that they aren't TRULY competitive...particularly on an annual basis...particularly across the board for all of their programs.

And as for the "good money" for these schools to make in national tournaments, I guess that depends on your definition of "good". Teams in this year's D1 basketball tournament (the most lucrative of them all) earned a $1.7M stipend for playing in a single game in the tourney (whether they win or lose), but that money is typically paid directly to the team's Conference to be distributed. While they don't "have to" pay it out evenly, the NCAA "strongly encourages" the practice. So, let's say the Summit League plays along...no matter who gets in from the League (SDSU from your example, or otherwise) every member gets the same amount. The $1.7M is actually paid out over six years, but since a team from the league gets in every year that's sort of moot as the years accumulate and the net is the same. So, take that $1.7M and divide it by the league's nine members: That's a hair under $189,000 per year. Nothing to sneeze at, no, but when the league's athletics budgets range from about $10M on the low end to $27M on the higher end, you're talking about a max impact of less than 2% of the school's athletic budget.

OH BY THE WAY...seldom is the full amount distributed in these smaller conferences. Many of these leagues use this "guaranteed" revenue as a part of THEIR budget, and the schools only get what is left over after those league expenses are covered. In our example above, the $189K is a "best case scenario", and likely not what really happens.

Now, sure, if the league's team manages an upset and play another game, they can earn some additional $. But again, every if they do, the # may double...but even with full distribution it isn't going to cause a big shift in their budget. Again, what's the definition of "good"? Does that amount of money make being in D1 "worthwhile"?

I will say that perhaps my use of the word "pointless" to describe a team's being in D1 or making its tournament wasn't reflective of my true meaning. No, it isn't pointless. It is, however, worthy of a second look when a school considers why they're spending SO much money. Yes, they're educating some more kids and that is important. But can't there also be an importance placed on having at least a couple of your teams being able to play for something real in terms of accomplishment and championships? Can't that ability to market your institution and draw even more students to it be a desired and reasonable outcome? As I mentioned in my prior post, there are glaring examples of just this question that are very short drives from GV. Three MAC schools in Michigan all shift $20M+ (on average) from their general funds to their athletics budgets EVERY YEAR. What are they truly getting for that?

Comment

Said it before, but Presbyterian needs to drop back down

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X