Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990s change in playoff site determination

So I was reading up on some stuff getting ready for today's NDSU/UND game, relating to their football stadiums. They're obviously both on the larger side of D2 stadiums today, which is probably part of why they're now in FCS.

Anyways, I found this paragraph interesting. I'm relatively new to D2/NSIC football (10-15 years), so I wasn't familiar with this.

The awarding of home sites in Division II went from a bidding process "in which the wealthy Bison had money to burn" to a fairness doctrine based on records and ratings.

https://cnycentral.com/sports/colleg...l-at-fargodome

Can anyone tell me a little more about this, both what it was like before the change and what prompted the switch?

That's essentially it. NDSU could outbid the other teams for home games. A former poster back in the day named JBB used to talk about it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
      So I was reading up on some stuff getting ready for today's NDSU/UND game, relating to their football stadiums. They're obviously both on the larger side of D2 stadiums today, which is probably part of why they're now in FCS.

Anyways, I found this paragraph interesting. I'm relatively new to D2/NSIC football (10-15 years), so I wasn't familiar with this.

The awarding of home sites in Division II went from a bidding process "in which the wealthy Bison had money to burn" to a fairness doctrine based on records and ratings.

https://cnycentral.com/sports/colleg...l-at-fargodome

Can anyone tell me a little more about this, both what it was like before the change and what prompted the switch?
      In 1991, it forced then top ranked IUP on the road for a semifinal game with Jacksonville State who had more money to offer for a home game.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

In 1991, it forced then top ranked IUP on the road for a semifinal game with Jacksonville State who had more money to offer for a home game.
        So the bidding was within each matchup?

Comment

Yeah.

I think you technically still bid for PO games, but now there is a minimum amount and as long as your school can bid that amount, you get the game.

Comment

We got em for you in the NC game.

Comment

Pitt had to go to fargo in 90 and Portland Ore in 91, then both Dakota schools and Portland State had to play at Pitt in 92.

Comment

I imagine you had to submit what you could offer for each game if you kept winning.

We didn't have regional rankings in those days. Just one national ranking. IUP was #1 for most of that season and when it came to the final four..IUP was put on the road instead of hosting the game.

By 1993, either the way the decided changed or IUP found the way to outbid because we actually got to host North Dakota in that semi final. I'm sure they had more money to shell out.

Comment

I imagine you had to submit what you could offer for each game if you kept winning.

We didn't have regional rankings in those days. Just one national ranking. IUP was #1 for most of that season and when it came to the final four..IUP was put on the road instead of hosting the game.

By 1993, either the way the decided changed or IUP found the way to outbid because we actually got to host North Dakota in that semi final. I'm sure they had more money to shell out.
                  Ah, it makes a little more sense knowing there were no regional rankings

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                    Pitt had to go to fargo in 90 and Portland Ore in 91, then both Dakota schools and Portland State had to play at Pitt in 92.
                    Hey Pred, I believe Portland State in 92 was a road game for Pitt.
                    Sent from my GorillaPad

Comment

Originally posted by cbgorilla View Post

Hey Pred, I believe Portland State in 92 was a road game for Pitt.
                      I could definitely be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                        That's essentially it. NDSU could outbid the other teams for home games. A former poster back in the day named JBB used to talk about it all the time.
                        There was a period of time where home sites were bid for, but that was after a time when the playoffs were seeded like a real tournament should be and before the time that D2 went to whatever regional system that NDSU fans loved so much.

I've always wondered which home playoff games people think that NDSU didn't deserve. NDSU won 5 national championships between 1983 and 1990. Presumably, the Bison earned home field during the 3 undefeated seasons - 1986, 1988, 1990. In the other two championship years, NDSU had 3 away games and 2 home games.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post

There was a period of time where home sites were bid for, but that was after a time when the playoffs were seeded like a real tournament should be and before the time that D2 went to whatever regional system that NDSU fans loved so much.

I've always wondered which home playoff games people think that NDSU didn't deserve. NDSU won 5 national championships between 1983 and 1990. Presumably, the Bison earned home field during the 3 undefeated seasons - 1986, 1988, 1990. In the other two championship years, NDSU had 3 away games and 2 home games.
                          Good to hear from you. I was curious, is JBB still posting?

Comment

I haven't heard from JBB in a looong time (2014?.) He certainly has not been on Bisonville or the FCS boards.

Anyway, I did some more research..Before 1990, NDSU got sent on the road more than any other team in DII (9 times) other than Jacksonville State (10 times).

I think this bid for home games deal was only in effect for a couple seasons, and it probably only applied to first round games or something. If it was in effect in 1989, that would mean that Jacksonville State outbid NDSU for a home playoff game... which, I suppose, is remotely possible - but they also happened to have a better record.

The playoffs went from 8 teams to 16 teams in 1988 and, in my opinion, that's the earliest that "bid for home games" could have started, but they also seemed to group first round games by geography. I can't see any obvious examples of home fields being purchased.

Last edited by tony; 09-10-2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X