Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Last night's Griffon loss to UCM was one of the craziest games I've attended.

Comment

So many memorable NW games but #1 will always be the 1999 NC game against C-N and the 4 OT thriller. What a game!
          Go Hounds!
          B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
          Cyclone Power
          ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveItWhenYouCallMeLittlePoppa View Post
            As a fan-the 1998 D2 semifinals NW over IUP for the Bearcats 1st trip to a championship game. the 0-11 1994 season was my freshman year so never thought we'd get that far

As a broadcaster-I got to call a 4 overtime district playoff game a few years back that was wild and only ended when the losing team failed on a 2pt conversion (did that game after driving 3 hours each way to do a softball game that day in the state semifinals too...I was mentally cashed out after that)
            1998 was TAMKU and first trip to NC. 1999 was IUP.
            Go Hounds!
            B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
            Cyclone Power
            ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

2006 National Championship in Florence. GVSU 17, NWMSU 14. Cullen Finnerty, Eric Fowler, Bill Brechin...temps in the 70's, was a great game/day/atmosphere/result.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
                2006 National Championship in Florence. GVSU 17, NWMSU 14. Cullen Finnerty, Eric Fowler, Bill Brechin...temps in the 70's, was a great game/day/atmosphere/result.
                Those defenses were truly great.

Comment

The 2009 Hillsdale vs Grand Valley State. The Lakers came to Hillsdale undefeated, ranked number one in the nation. They were cocky, self-assured and, yes, they were good. But a missed 49-yard field goal attempt as time expired gave the big upset win to the Chargers and Frank "Muddy" Waters Field exploded with students and fans running on to the field to celebrate with the players. You can still find Live Stream webmaster Jim Measles' play-by-play call of that field goal on You Tube. Sensational win for Hillsdale, terrible defeat for Grand Valley. However, as most Laker fans will tell you, they knocked the Chargers out of the second round of the playoffs by beating Hillsdale at Grand Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleDude View Post
                    However, as most Laker fans will tell you, they knocked the Chargers out of the second round of the playoffs by beating Hillsdale at Grand Valley.
                    If I remember right, the Chargers beat the Mavs in Mankato in double OT the week before. Great game but really tough loss.

Comment

There are many that stand out but my favorite by far is Bloomsburg at Shepherd, 2006 Super Region 1 final.

Honorable mention...
                      Grand Valley State v. Northwest Missouri State, 2005 National Championship
                      Valdosta State at California, 2007 national semi-finals
                      Saginaw Valley State at Bloomsburg, 2000 playoffs - first round
                      Wingate at Lenoir-Rhyne, 2018 playoffs, second round

Comment

Originally posted by DaleDude View Post
                        The 2009 Hillsdale vs Grand Valley State. The Lakers came to Hillsdale undefeated, ranked number one in the nation. They were cocky, self-assured and, yes, they were good. But a missed 49-yard field goal attempt as time expired gave the big upset win to the Chargers and Frank "Muddy" Waters Field exploded with students and fans running on to the field to celebrate with the players. You can still find Live Stream webmaster Jim Measles' play-by-play call of that field goal on You Tube. Sensational win for Hillsdale, terrible defeat for Grand Valley. However, as most Laker fans will tell you, they knocked the Chargers out of the second round of the playoffs by beating Hillsdale at Grand Valley.
                        Whatever. Not that big a defeat since GV still won in the PO's. But most any win over GV is considered big or sensational. LOL.

I mentioned this last night in the chat: The following year, 2010 the great Otter might have messed up by trying to and scoring late with the lead (like 80 seconds left.) It was a special game for me as my dad had just passed and we went to the game for some diversion. It was a misty game in more ways than one. Maybe GV pulled it out with a little extra help that day. ;-) GV scored with little time left after blocking a PAT and scored a 2 point conversion. Those 2 points didn't matter for the win, other than maybe an emotional lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                          2011 Arrowhead comeback against NW.
                          95 North Dakota State at Pitt, PO game
                          At the time this sucked - looking back, probably the best thing for NW. AD learned so much from that loss. He never went complacent again, always kept foot on the opponents throat.
                          Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

I'm not as old as this post would lead you to believe, but Pitt State's actual glory days are this far in the past:

Best I've attended: 1992 Pitt State hosting NDSU in the playoffs. Teams were ranked 1-2 in the country and had won the two most recent national championships and had played each other in the 1990 SFs in what was the de facto title game that year. The game had a great back and forth to it. Went into OT. Pitt State scored first and kicked the PAT. NDSU scored, went for two, failed, but there was a penalty on PSU and then on the play from the 1 1/2 yard line Pitt State came up with an open field tackle as close to the goal line as possible without breaking the plane to get the win.

Favorite I've attended: 1996 Pitt State at NW. MoSo had beaten us in '93 in a game that didn't feel like the beginning of a trend and MW had beaten us earlier this season in a game that was very fluky, but this was the first time I could remember any talk of the team we were playing in a regular season game being better than us and it not being an almost foregone conclusion that we would win. It was the first time I'd ever had a PO game feel going into a regular season game. The weather was uncomfortable, but not unbearable. And then we just won really big. 40-0. And mid-second half, the NW fans, who were not as well-seasoned fans as they are today, vacated the stadium and, right then, it seemed impossible that Pitt State would ever not control the conference. This might be a game that I've romanticized in my mind because of the control NW did take of the conference beginning the very next year.

The 2004 regular season game against NW has some of the same appeal to me as the 1996 win and was definitely a better game. 2011 Pitt State-NW game at Arrowhead was really fun. 2014 and 2017 wins over NW did not have the same special feeling, even at the time.

Comment

Lucky enough to be at the 05 championship game between GV and NWMSU, but two weeks before was also at the GV/SVSU regional title game. Froze my feet and backside off, and wasn't the cleanest game ever but the fact that Chuck Martin went for it twice on 4th down in the third makes it amazing.
                              National Championships Are Cool!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

1998 was TAMKU and first trip to NC. 1999 was IUP.
                                forgive me, I've slept since then

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X