Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

That depends on how long a person has been following D2 football.

In 2001, I was talked out of naming Curt Anes as first team AA quarterback because of the perceived weakness of "that league" and "that team" because of the previous history. It's funny how things change.
    Haha. So true.

I do think that there are "giants" in D2 football. GVSU, NMSU, Valdosta, Pittsburgh State, Minnesota-Duluth, UNA, etc. have long held such a description. I suppose that it is always cyclical.

Then again, teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc. tend to hold onto being a "giant" in D1 for decades at a time too.

Comment

Oh yeah. When I started the site in 2000 it was somewhat different.

New Haven was considered the best program in the NE. Maybe IUP.
      Carson-Newman had gone to back-to-back championship games and was the best team in the SE.
      Northwest Missouri had gone to back-to-back championships and was the best team in the MW.
      UC-Davis was generally considered the best team in the W.

NDSU had been down for a while by their standards. They had a good team in 1997 and would have a great team in 2000, only to not be that great the years following.
      Catawba was a really tough opponent in the SE.
      Pittsburg State was always a championship contender.
      Texas A&M-Kingsville had been an extremely talented team but was hit by NCAA sanctions.
      Northern Colorado had a great team almost every year.
      Ferris was generally considered the best team in the MIFC (GLIAC).
      West Georgia was pretty strong.
      UNA was in a bit of a decline.

Comment

Mistake

Comment

The UMD/MSU game probably takes the #2 spot for me. That was pretty awesome. Brother Shane went 80 yards on the very first play of the game, and that's about all they needed.

If he makes it to the NFL, it will be neat to say I saw one of his best games.

Comment

So the best game I remember attending is VSU's first home game in 1982, It was my first quarter at "VSC". The first big play of the game, I jump up and shout Yay and one of the guys I'd just met days earlier (my eventual fraternity brother), knowing I'm from the Bahamas, says Hooray? We don't use that any more man.

The next best game would be Homecoming 2004, it was the first football game my wife had ever seen live and we were with friends I hadn't seen for a decade.

Comment

Just a few great memories for me.. I have had season tickets for a long time and seen some great games, but these stand out

11/28/98 - The revenge game NW versus Northern Colorado
              1998 D2 Championship
              1999 D2 Championship
              12/8/2007 - The Xavier Omon show against GV.. Got soaked, but it was worth it
              12/6/2008 - The thump on North Alabama after all of the smack talk from the Lions fans all week
              2009 - D2 Championship
              11/17/2012 - The shutdown of Harding 35-0 in a defensive domination game
              12/7/2013 - The day they handed out cardboard to keep your feet from freezing in a win over St, Cloud 59-21.
              2013 - D2 Championship
              11/28/2015 - The 54-7 drubbing of Humboldt after their fans and players talked smack leading up to the game
              2015 - D2 Championship.. Was especially great since I was on the sideline
              2016 Playoffs were all great games
              2016 D2 Championship
              11/17/2018 - Defeating GV at Lubber Stadium in the playoffs

Comment

Comment

2015 First round game for Emporia State at Minnesota State.
                  Hornets were the seven seed and had to go to Mankato - a place no MIAA team had ever won at in the playoffs.
                  ESU scored first but the Mavericks would take a 28-10 lead midway through the second half. Hornets scored 14 points in the last five minutes of the first half and then 21 in the first nine minutes of the third quarter for a 35-0 run to take a 45-28 lead. Minnesota State went on a 21-3 run to take a 49-48 lead. Then ESU hit a 33 yard field goal to win in walk off fashion.
                  First playoff win in ESU history.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
                    2015 First round game for Emporia State at Minnesota State.
                    Hornets were the seven seed and had to go to Mankato - a place no MIAA team had ever won at in the playoffs.
                    ESU scored first but the Mavericks would take a 28-10 lead midway through the second half. Hornets scored 14 points in the last five minutes of the first half and then 21 in the first nine minutes of the third quarter for a 35-0 run to take a 45-28 lead. Minnesota State went on a 21-3 run to take a 49-48 lead. Then ESU hit a 33 yard field goal to win in walk off fashion.
                    First playoff win in ESU history.
                    I was at that game. Very see saw. I felt pretty down after that last interception. I think it was third and two and they should have run the ball- either get the first or punt deep.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X